Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 401 total)
  • 2016 XC racing thread.
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

Had a blast at Sherwood yesterday.

First race and only fun class, but I really enjoyed it and don’t think I’ve rode that fast for an hour ever. Some of the early single track was pretty torn up and sticky on the second lap, hate to think what it was like in the afternoon.

Was hoping for mid pack (probably way to ambitious!), but ended up 17th of 25, so not quite where I wanted but pretty good for a big unfit bloke!

adsh
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to my first outing at this Sunday’s Wentwood 50.

Ill 🙁

sefton
    Free Member

great course at Sherwood – midpack 23rd (room for improvement :wink:)

ferrals
    Free Member

Results out for the Welsh xc, 11th out of 19 in sport so mid pack, though I was aiming for top half. While the guy in tenth was only a minute ahead, 9th was 10 minutes ahead so a bit of work ahead. I got caught up behind a slow moving vet in singletrack on the first lap and lost sight of the people ahead of me, though struggled myself in the more technical single-track. Good course in general, though I didn’t like the first section of singletrack. Looking at lap times only one guy overtook me after the first lap which is encouraging.

Can’t remember which thread it was that suggested taping gels to the bike, but tried that and it worked a treat. Way better than reaching into back pocket.

Really looking forward to Pembrey now, be great to be the first group off rather than last and having to deal with back markers of other races.

bensales
    Free Member

Had a blast at Sherwood yesterday.

First race and only fun class, but I really enjoyed it and don’t think I’ve rode that fast for an hour ever. Some of the early single track was pretty torn up and sticky on the second lap, hate to think what it was like in the afternoon.

I thought it was ok, and I had the Elites, Experts, Junior, and Sport plough through before me 🙂 There was one really sticky bit that was a bit of an arse, but mostly fine, just a bit soft. Much prefer that to ‘wet’ mud, if you know what I mean. At least on that type, the tyres grip and it’s actually quite fast if you get the line right. Just slippy on the roots, but we all avoid them, don’t we 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Sport cat for the first national entered 😀

How much of a step up in ability/speed are national events compared to regional ones? Just hoping I dont get lapped!!

schmiken

tubs?
    how do you find them? ive got a set of tub wheels at home and need to find a reason to keep them

I absolutely love them, one of the best things I ever bought. As long as you can glue them yourself, they are great. However changing tyres just is too much of a faff, so I’m planning on leaving them until they’re bollocksed and then replacing.

I would like some Rhinos to go with though, the Fast Birds are capable but get overwhelmed in the mud.

Should say this is 650, haven’t tried 29er tubs.

schmiken

Wanted to add that Sunday was OK for me, 15th Expert, despite a bout of food poisoning a couple of days before.

Blog post about it here:
    http://www.paleoracing.co.uk/index.php?itemid=243

john_l
    Free Member

Interested in experience with mtb tubs too. Love them for ‘cross & have a spare are Remerx wheelset that would be perfect – was looking at Tufo who do a very fast looking 2.0 & a slightly grippier looking 2.2.

Will be dabbling in some of the longer events this year on a singlespeed Swift for Singular, more as prep for the ‘ cross season.

schmiken

I’ve only run Dugasts so far, but heard good things about the Geax and Tufos.

rsvktm

Nutcracker rd 1 at Whinlatter this Sunday, weather looking good. Should be a fast course with plenty of elevation 😀

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Who else is racing this weekend then?

After my appalling showing at the first round of the WMBS I made the knee jerk reaction to enter the second Run and Ride event at Eastnor.

Anyone else heading there?

phil40
    Free Member

I am doing the Southern XC at black park tomorrow! First time racing open for me….little bit nervous I am usually pottering round at the back of fun!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

As long as you can glue them yourself, they are great

whats it matter? i can tape, never tried gluing

do you run any stans inside them?

are your fast bird 50 or 52s?

so many questions

got a pair of SRAM Rise XX cheap thats the only reason i ask 🙂

schmiken

After seeing far too many rolled off, I have no confidence in just tape, so wanted to glue to be sure. You may have more luck!

I have had one puncture in the front, so that has some PitStop in it now. Rear has been fine so far.

And yep, they are 50s but would probably get 52s next time.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Nutcracker Rd1 at Whinlatter was an awesome course, cant think of a race with a tougher climb in it.

ferrals
    Free Member

Last day to enter round one of the Nationals at Pembrey. Had a bit of a mosey round today, not sure if I have the course 100% right but the bits I’m sure about are epic. Super fast, my average speed round a lap was 20.5km/h which is fast for me! Will be a tough race, pacing needed as little clear cut recovery sections. The new drop Matt built is nuts, much scarier in the flesh than in the photos on Facebook. I’ll definitely be b-lining, but it will be a good challenge for those with the skills!

gee
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from a 3 day stage race in Spain. It was brilliant. Report up here:

http://www.xcracer.com/stage-racing-in-spain–yes-please.html

davidisaacs
    Free Member

We enter many events in Andalucia, Spain that are promoted on http://www.andaluciaciclismo.com/pcalendario2016?temporada=2016, http://global-tempo.com/ and http://www.cruzandolameta.es/carreras/proximas/. If you see any event that you are interested in let us know, and we will arrange everything, entry, transport etc. http://bikingandalucia.com/bike-and-duathlon-competitions-and-event/ refers

davidjey
    Free Member

Pembrey will be my first ever round of the Nationals. Looking forward to it, I think, assuming I survive the charge off the line with 50 other overexcited sport riders and make it into the first corner intact.

ferrals
    Free Member

See you on Sat – I’m getting way more excited than a grown man should 😳 ! Your gridded nice and near the front (start lists HERE). I’m right at the back 😥 Really wish I’d bought a race license last year to have a better placing as I always seem to end up finishing about where I start. I was hoping having a few points from the first welsh round would help my gridding but hey ho.

Although i guess its safer being the one trying to do the mowing down rather than having over-frothing incompetants snorting behind you 😆

Having never been gridded before, I’m not sure whether the best tactic is to try and make up places in the intial sprint (and if thats even possible starting right at the back) or just hold ground and then make up places in subsequent laps as the race goes on.

I did open at the fforest fields one last year and really enjoyed there being a bit more of a buzz, mildly nervous about doing sport and the increased speed and frothing though.

I’ve been riding at Pembrey a bit over easter. Make sure you do a practise lap and have a look at the a-lines – one of them (far end) is very difficult to my technically deficient mind (theres a pic on my strava but it doesnt convey the steepness).

My goal is to get in the top 30 and get a point to try and help my gridding for the Fforest fields round – fingers crossed.

davidjey
    Free Member

Make sure you do a practise lap and have a look at the a-lines – one of them (far end) is very difficult to my technically deficient mind (theres a pic on my strava but it doesnt convey the steepness).

It looks quite steep enough in the picture! I don’t think I’ll be having a go!

Same rules as cyclocross for the start: make up time if you can but don’t go too far into the red.

ferrals
    Free Member

It looks quite steep enough in the picture! I don’t think I’ll be having a go!

Glad I’m not the only one! I have a feeling (hope) that a reasonable proportion of sport wont be riding it. If the weathers good I’m going to head back on Sunday with a video camera to watch the Elites sail off it

ferrals
    Free Member

How did you go David? I had an enjoyable but average race ended up five positions up from my gridding number which given it was a national I was happy with! Had an ok start, but then there was a crash in that first muddy bit I got caught behind. Made a few places in the wider bits of the first lap and then got in a bit of a train for the second lap and half the third till cramp struck due to a stupid semi-crash and I had to stop and stretch it out. By the time I’d recovered I rode the rest of the race alone.

Enjoyed the course. Hope all the a-line injuries from practise are ok.

Anyone else race Pembrey today? Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

davidjey
    Free Member

Yeah went alright. Got a great start, about 8th into the first corner making the one everyone with more confidence in the mud was having to avoid as I tiptoed thru it. Couple of folk crashed in front of me in the first couple of minutes but got round them without too much bother. Slid backwards down the pecking order on lap 1 – was a bit too tentative in places on the drying course and wasn’t really giving it everything on the pedally bits. Felt better as things went on though, and spent the last lap defending about a 10 second lead on a pair of guys trying to chase me down kept me honest.

Reckon I was about 20th but haven’t seen the final results yet.

Bad luck with the cramp – sounds like you did OK still though.

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one, I’ve not got back into the race aggression yet so like you was a bit tentative. Thats the joy of the welsh cx league, racing every weekend you get used to the riding in very close proximity, need to get that back.
    Went and watched the elites yesterday, crazy fast, though I was disappointed they had to modify the one aline for safety reasons. Got some footage, will link here when its on you-tube.

Guess with your wedding timescales you wont be at the showground race?

ferrals
    Free Member

Coffee break viewing from Pembrey:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMjU4yuCs[/video]

Kryton57

Well the London Beastway series starts tomorrow. after finishing 9th this is /was a target for me this year. It has the added fun of Regional A first and last races book ending the Reg c Wednesday night races.

Not really sure how to play it after recent heart palpitations and before the scheduled tests. Conservatively I guess.

Kryton57

Phew. A good day on a very challenging course needing 4 X bike clearance stops! So with no vo2max to call on, I managed 6th vet into the first corner sprint and finished 9th vet overall. Happy with that!

schmiken

Bloody hard race at Cannock today at the Midlands XC. Damp course on the rutty muddy slide no-grip bits meant 5 laps was seriously hard work. Finished 13th Expert so happy enough with that.

adsh
    Free Member

Kryton – what heart arrhythmia have you got?

Kryton57

I’m diagnosed already with eptopic beats at rest but won’t know what this is until I’m tested next week. Could just be a one off of course.

Kryton57

Here’s a little vid from Beastway rd 1, including your’s truly looking like puking at 8:30 (red shirt white helmet):

[video]https://youtu.be/Vd5tJAIL3cc[/video]

windyg
    Free Member

lol you look like you want to give up at that point.
    The guy commentating = sound off

Are you racing Henham on Sun?

Kryton57

I’ve been having a mediocre time health wise lately and despite the video that section of the course was pretty much the only bit which wasn’t claggy mud so hard going throughout. I was also chasing on the two guys in front as I’d dropped my chain half a lap ago, and they’d come past me. And its more uphill than it looks – thats snaking up beside a 12% road climb 🙂 Oh, and I always look like that 🙄 😳

Re Henham, nope. Its a 200m round trip for me so I tend to leave that one out as one of the 2 races I don’t need to score with.

ferrals
    Free Member

Looks like a cross race at the start with that off-camber turn!

ferrals
    Free Member

Round 2 of the Welsh xc series today at Builth RWAS, great course and a nice sunny day for it. Very raceable course given the venue.

Had a really fun race and a really bad race at the same time. Was having a decent race against flattyre off here and had got a bit of a gap on him when I dropped my chain, by the time I’d got it back on he was a fair way away, managed to reel him back in, overtake and get another gap, when I dropped my chain again, he shot past me and it was back to chase mode. Unfortunately this time it was the last lap and I was pushing too hard to get back to him and crashed going over a rocky section.

So bad in that if my chain hadn’t dropped twice I’d have beaten flattyre and he got me in round one, but also good in that dropping the chain twice meant it was a more exciting battle overall, otherwise I think we’d have both been riding round on our own for the later laps.

windyg
    Free Member

At least you enjoyed it, I hate getting stuck on my own neither going forwards or backwards.

Round 2 of MSG Henham was much better after the disaster of round one.
    Was gridded 28th, was aiming for a top 10 finish, smashed it off the line was in 2nd by the end of lap one, suffered for it on lap 3 and dropped to 4th where I finished best result I’ve had and was great to race from the start to the finish trading places back and forth.

ferrals
    Free Member

I hate getting stuck on my own neither going forwards or backwards.

Yeah I agree, why I really enjoyed the national at Pembrey, big enough field that for 3/4 of the race was in close proximity to other riders.

Looking forward to Plymouth assuming can get bike fixed OK!

ferrals
    Free Member

Bike fixed, gridding is out and I’m gridded mid pack which is pleasing as being right at the back at Pembrey was a bit of a pain. Getting mildy excited and pretty nervous: too much talk last Sunday about how scary bits of Newnham are and how even the b-lines are hard

Anyone else racing on the w/e? And more importantly anyone raced last time and want to explain how scary some of the A-lines are? and what sort of time penalties the b-lines have?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 401 total)

The topic ‘2016 XC racing thread.’ is closed to new replies.