Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,710 total)
  • 2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)
  • Tiger6791

Brilliant!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Gold – tight though Kenny turned around small deficit I think 🙂

leffeboy

what a start

spacemonkey

Wow. That was proper close.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Great stuff!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Awesome

theotherjonv

Brilliant first evening, gold in Team Sprint, streets ahead in the Mens Pursuit and a new WR for the Ladies, although the Merkins have more to give.

Get Spandau Ballet on a loop, we’ll be needing it over the coming few nights I think.

Tiger6791

Put your shirt on man!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Warm down bikes – What’s in the saddlebag?

Also, NZ doing a warmdown has just put a pair of dark lens Oakleys on his head. Inside. #getinsthesea

leffeboy

Also, NZ doing a warmdown has just put a pair of dark lens Oakleys on his head. Inside

and with no hands on rollers

Houns

Clear lenses but look black because of his hair (Aero helmets have coated lenses, do they belong in sea too?)

theotherjonv

Warm down bikes – What’s in the saddlebag?

Tube, levers, CO2

Long walk if you puncture over the other side of the arena.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clear lenses but look black because of his hair

So, inside, at low speed, he’s wearing them solely as a hairband. To the briny depths with him!

slowoldman

Looks like more gold to come in the velodrome.

aracer
    Free Member

I presume you’re meaning the men’s TP – but Jason Kenny is clearly on hot form – I think Hoy predicted 3 golds for him.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Sorry, quick track cycling question… How come the inside rider has a starter block red framed thing and the other riders just have someone holding the bike? Why not just a person holding the bike for the inside rider?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It is part of the timing system, stops people jumping the gun, higher riders are not allowed to overtake until one full lap done

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Ah, makes sense, thank you. I can watch in peace now 🙂

Kryton57

Put your shirt on man!

I asked MrsK if I looked like that in my skinsuit. She sprayed her wine all over the floor in front of the sofa.

whitestone
    Free Member

@whippersnapper Further to what BnD wrote, the second and third riders aren’t allowed to overlap the rider in front until that rider has completed their lap. This is why there’s a gap between first and second riders on the first lap despite it being more efficient if they were closer together, it gives riders two and three a bit of room to accelerate at the end of the first lap without risking being disqualified. Similarly between riders two and three though by the end of the second lap they are going so fast it’s unusual for that to happen.

matts
    Free Member

So, inside, at low speed, he’s wearing them solely as a hairband. To the briny depths with him!

No, he’s wearing them solely as a sponsor commitment. $$$

what a start

Hoy in commentary: “He’ll be doing about 2500 Watts round that first corner”

😯

*looks at max power on CP graph*

*looks at legs*

😯

theotherjonv

I did wonder, looking at the looks on their faces, whether i’d even be able to get that gear turned over out of the start gate, let alone get it going at any speed.

5,4,3,2,1,Beep……. fall over, wait for medics to help you up, limp off for reconstructive knee surgery.

aracer
    Free Member

If by overlap you mean having the front of their front wheel in front of the back of the back wheel of the rider in front, then no – they’re simply not allowed to overtake until after the end of the lap.

This is why there’s a gap between first and second riders on the first lap despite it being more efficient if they were closer together, it gives riders two and three a bit of room to accelerate at the end of the first lap without risking being disqualified.

Well there’s a couple of reasons for that – the first rider only has to do a lap, so is nailing it off the start, whereas the second rider has to do two laps so won’t be putting so much in and accelerating so hard. Still a significant aero benefit with a gap at the speeds they’re doing. Also as you say an advantage to having space to accelerate – the idea is to accelerate whilst still in the slipstream.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

presumably man 1 accelerates a bit faster because his gearing is different/lower, as he doesn’t get up to as high a speed as 2 and 3…?

crazy-legs

presumably man 1 accelerates a bit faster because his gearing is different/lower, as he doesn’t get up to as high a speed as 2 and 3…?

Man 1 will have a slightly lower gear to get him away and up to speed more quickly while Man 2 is still trying to turn a huge gear over so that is part of the reason there’s a gap. Man 2 will be the powerhouse and will still be accelerating as he runs up to the back wheel of Man 1.

Man 3 should have a more endurance/sprint gear on that he can still turn after 40 seconds of effort when the muscles are fuill of lactate after 35 seconds!

For such a short event, the tactics and coordination needed to get it perfect are incredibly complex.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

French are whining again.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-french-confounded-by-british-success-in-team-sprint/

Oh, and casting around insinuations and inklings…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

reads like the interview of someone deeply disappointed and trying to understand how we do it

Very little if any hint of “insinuation” just confusion

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“I risk saying too much.”

What’s the risk?

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is talking about internal French team politics/team selection there and not UK cycling nor the sprinters
    No idea what he is talking about but it not team UK

While Gané and D’Almeida are unable to put their finger on how the British are so strong when it really matters, the latter hinted at discord within the French camp, with the nation underwhelming this year after a glittering home Worlds in 2015.

“Decisions were taken and choices were made too late. We’d like to always have things in place earlier, but we have a different system to them, and that frustrates us a bit. The result is not only about the delays – it’s the whole atmosphere, too, the personnel around us. That’s my personal opinion,” said D’Almeida.

Asked to expand, the eight-time World Championships medallist remained cagey but appeared to criticise members of staff who’ve worked over the latest Olympic cycle. The French have had significant upheaval in the sprint camp over the past four years, with Florian Rousseau leaving in 2012, and his replacement Justin Grace lasting a year and now tasting success with GB. There was an interim in Franck Durivaux before Gané took over at the end of 2014.

“I can’t tell you everything,” said D’Almeida. “There’s no anger. I’m fully satisfied with the preparation we’ve done since arriving. Hats off to the staff present here – they’ve done their jobs perfectly. What’s overwhelming my thoughts is not just what happened this evening, but everything that has happened these past two, three, four years. In my eyes, there are things we need to revisit. It’s…I risk saying too much. There are people who, thankfully, aren’t at Rio – they didn’t have the right to come – but they inflicted damage. That has to be sorted out.”

AlexSimon

4th in medal table!

njee20
    Free Member

Which is all done on golds. But yes, chance to go third after tonight.

slowoldman

But of course the British cycling squad have operated on a 4 year cycle for ages. From that article:
    “Over the last decade the British track riders have made a specialty of peaking in line with the Olympic cycle, flying somewhat under the radar at intervening competitions such as the World Championships but coming spectacularly good every four years”.

Oh and obviously the frogs don’t recognise sandbagging.

leffeboy

Anyone know what channel the cycling is on tonight? I can’t find it 🙁

crazy-legs

I’ve got it online but can’t find it on TV at all. Supposed to be on according to the schedules…

Just had Women’s Team Sprint qualifying runs (no GB in that), it’s coming up to Men’s Individual Sprint now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BBC 2, I think.

crazy-legs

Just the flying 200m time trials for sprint qualification at the moment, bit dull TBH. Bring on the Team Pursuit.

richmars

BBC1 according to CB.

nbt

Team sprint and team pursuit on bbc1 now

crazy-legs

Online showing the actual cycling. BBC1 showing some sort of Bradley homage…

I’ll stick with online for the moment!

leffeboy

Got it thanks. Hoy is good at this stuff

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,710 total)

The topic ‘2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM