Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • 2014 Boardman CXs
  • cp

2012 is almost identical, go for it. But compensation for loss of fun? I really really hope that was tongue in cheek.

Jamie
    Free Member

i also said i would be getting my solicitor involved in getting some compensation back for the loss of fun and enjoyment

Diddums 😐

windjammer
    Free Member

it was tongue in cheek quote but after you have changed a few things on the bike to get it how you want it then discover the frame is cracked and then have to swap all the parts back to how it was when you bought it to take it back it does make you annoyed.

xcracer1
    Free Member

Im getting a warranty replacement from halfords, will inspect it before taking it from the shop this time.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Other than the cosmetic issue with the crack how have those who’ve bought one found them so far? I’m looking at the team CX Possibly but wondered how they stack up generally? Was initially looking at the Planet X but could be tempted by the boardman.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My 2012/13 one is ace, done two proper big rides on it – on in the lakes and the other in Yorkshire – that would be classed as proper Enduro cross kinda things and it handled them great.

It’s also cracking (mind the pun) for thrashing round the local woods and riding mixed bridleway & road routes

ska-49
    Free Member

So is this issue just with the silver paint? Is the comp safe?

Is the team worth the additional money over the comp?

didgerman
    Free Member

My experience from last Monday: Checked halfords website for a comp, it’s in stock, phoned, ‘we have one, for sale in two weeks’. Went there to order anyway, 10% off that day. Managed to eventually get out of Halfords with one the right size under my arm in a box. Pulled it out the next day, started snipping packaging off, almost done, blam, forks actually looked like they were trying to walk. Totally bent, paint was scratched here and there as well.
    Straight back for a refund, no probs there. Bought a Whyte from Edinburgh bike coop instead.
    To be fair, it looked like all damage was done after manufacture, and during transport and/or packaging up.

nano
    Free Member

Still on sale in my local store this weekend.. Maybe the didn’t read the memo..

Bad news for Boardman if they all get recalled.. Bad news for me as I wanted one..

jameso

Was just pointed to this thread re filed welds and the paint.

Guy building it waxed on about the filed welds (pointed to the seat tube junction)

At the risk of breaking an own-rule on here.. It’s basically sanded pollyfilla over the welds and it’s slightly flexible. The paint looks to be the same as one I’ve specced before and the factory did charge more to use it, a multi-layer paint that’s a pita for them but is a nice finish. Still use it on a few bikes with a different factory. So unlikely that’s a structural crack, more a combo of the over-weld filler and the paint layers.

Jamie
    Free Member

So unlikely that’s a structural crack, more a combo of the over-weld filler and the paint layers.

How would Boardman deal with that then? As I imagine nearly every course of action is going to be prohibitively expensive.

AlexSimon

jameso – Member

At the risk of breaking an own-rule on here.. It’s basically sanded pollyfilla over the welds and it’s slightly flexible. The paint looks to be the same as one I’ve specced before and the factory did charge more to use it, a multi-layer paint that’s a pita for them but is a nice finish. Still use it on a few bikes with a different factory. So unlikely that’s a structural crack, more a combo of the over-weld filler and the paint layers.
    I wondered how they got smooth welds on such cheap bikes. Now I know!
    Cheers James
    (resists temptation to go out and detect the polyfilla on own bike)

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d rather have had visible welds and polished bare alu anyway.

🙁

jameso

Dunno how they deal with it, their call really. They’re far from the only brand using this process, should’ve made that clear. It’s quite common.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

ameso – Member

At the risk of breaking an own-rule on here

original typed on phone, “filed” had supposed to read “filled”. Interesting to hear about bent forks, “my” guy said they’d had some too!

The 2014 Boardman range being delivered to Halfords, earlier this month..

Caher

well Halfords have now confirmed to me that the bikes are on recall. Planet X instead i suppose.

the_prophet
    Free Member

Just the team model caher or the comp aswell?

TiRed

I’d be happy with one of the “cracked ones”, Wanted to singlespeed it for some cross races later in the season. Back to looking elsewhere…

Caher

I was told the team model. i was wandering also if this might affect the pro fully too as this has the same welds?

the_prophet
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll see what happens with my order then and update as nessecary.

Ordered a comp at lunch which is suppose to be ready for collection tommorrow. See how we get on.

bails

I was told the team model. i was wandering also if this might affect the pro fully too as this has the same welds?

Last years bikes had them too though.

From Jameso’s post above it sounds like it might be down to the paint choice, rather than the smooth welds.

Jamie
    Free Member

From Jameso’s post above it sounds like it might be down to the paint choice, rather than the smooth welds.

Bang on. It’s exactly the same process they used on the 2011-2013 CXs.

hounslow
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s the paint choice. In the launch document it said it took ages for them to get it right and there may be small imperfections.
    as an aside

this was out of an unmolested box this afternoon – we had 2 more cracked forks (not this bad, and maybe only paint cracks but all in the same spot on same model). Quality having fun this week i reckon.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’ll just buff out….

windjammer
    Free Member

im glad i got a full refund,going to build one of these

All City Macho Man Disc

Caher

I got a full refund too bit disappointed as no bike for this weekend.

Alb
    Free Member

A ‘smooth welded’ Boardman after stripping and re-painting…

chakaping
    Free Member

By yourself or by Boardman, if I may ask?

Jamie
    Free Member

I remember seeing that pic on LFGSS. THe owner had it stripped themselves. It’s a 2013 model.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah right, still no word from Halfords regarding the plan for the 2014 frames.

Probably too busy fending off the Hope wheels carpetbaggers.

Jamie
    Free Member

Edit: http://www.lfgss.com/thread59962-52.html

P.S: If Alb is the Alb from Genesis/Madison, could I email you a question, or you email me? Tried via website, with no response.

Alb
    Free Member

Yep, my mate Neil’s (Dammit on LFGSS) that he had stripped back and got a nice surprise! Like Jameso said, loads of other manufacturers use this technique, it’s purely for aestetic value. Jamie – sure thing. Email should be in member info.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – sure thing.

Cheers!

Email should be in member info.

It appears not 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Any 2014 CX Team owners heard about Boardman’s plans for their frames yet?

bumpy
    Free Member

I quite like the look of these, the CX Team looks pretty good for the money from what I’ve read on a couple of forums.

Does anyone with one of them know how they are as road bikes?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Elite CX bikes out now. Quite pricey for the carbon ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bumpy – good geometry for road. Same as road boardmans I think.

Bit heavy as it comes and the rims look too wide for normal road tyres.

bumpy
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Bumpy – good geometry for road. Same as road boardmans I think.
    Bit heavy as it comes and the rims look too wide for normal road tyres.
    POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

So probably worth getting a second set of wheels with road tyres for the summer then.
    I’ve tried a Boardman roadie in the past and it was pretty comfortable so that’s good news.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah the wheels are probably the culprit for the slightly heavy bike weight anyway.

I will probably get another set so I can use it as a winter roadie, when funds become available.

nano
    Free Member

Picked up a 2012 model after the PSA on here a few weeks back.

Frame looks the same as the hybrid and the top tube length and cable routing is not for the CX purist. Enjoyed it on and off road so far but its currently awaiting a replacement fork as the paint has worn through to the carbon already where the cables pass around.

Seems the 2014 model isn’t the only one with a paint problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘2014 Boardman CXs’ is closed to new replies.