Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2006 Turner 5 Spot – Shock Change?
  • Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Stuck down the DHX Air on this over NY. Fairly common problem IIRC. The DHX is all bells and whistles and possibly a bit too adjustable for me (simple bloke, simple kit 😉 ).

Wondered if anyone had swapped this out, for what, and whether they thought it was worth it?

Currently facing £110 ish for a Mojo service or £310 ish for a new RP23. I know it might be possible to sort out the shock DIY but I’d rather get someone else to do it and full service of the whole thing.

Ta 😎

Alex

TFT won’t even service DHX air as he really doesn’t rate them. I had a RP3 on mine (pushed) and it was great. I guess the RP23 would be even better.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

TBH the ride on mine has been OK, as far as I can tell. Reliability wise it’s pretty disapointing. However, it’s one of those things that unless you’ve tried them back to back (the different shocks) it’s hard to know if a change would be worthwhile. Email from Turner raved about the RP23.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got a pushed rp23 on my 06 5 spot and its great. tho the pushing of the shock is needed i think as i didnt really rate the shock til then. it now bobs less than my non pushed rp2 on my anthem did

fivespot
    Free Member

I tried a DHX.5 air on my 5spot, a load of carp. Bought a brand new Pushed RP23 from TF Tuned (only £30 more than a std. RP23 if bought new). The Pushed RP23 is far better and far simpler to setup than the DHX air. Reliability has been faultless too.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Bloody hell, didn’t want to make a new shock even more expensive 😉 Interesting to know though, thanks.

What was it that you found tosh about the DHX?

mark_b
    Free Member

Mate of mine ditched his air DHX (pile of poo which broke and couldn’t be fixed) in favour of a new Tft Pushed Fox vanilla coil shock. Coupled with some longer travel rockers it made his 5 spot a much burlier ride which then complimented the pushed Pikes he had up front.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If theres one single modification that I’d not hesitate to do, its the Push mod to a rear fox shock. Totally transformed the ride of my 05 5spot.

Farticus

Another vote for a PUSH’d RP23. Before that my 05 Spot ran a DHX Air, and as someone on the old forum once said “it rode like a dog wiping its arse”.

fivespot
    Free Member

CheekyMonkey, being 14 stone I had to set DHX air pressure at about 230 psi (more than the recommended max) to get the correct sag, and then I had to run at full rebound, mainly to compensate for the high air pres. Whatever I did to damping or air pres., the shock neber felt in full control. With the RP23 I only ran 170-175 psi.

P.S.
    If you realy want to improve things, sell the 5spot and get a Cove Hustler. I did and hav’nt stop smiling since ( I still loved the 5 spot )

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

TFTuned have done me a deal on an 08 Pushed RP23. You buggers had better be right 😉

Fivespot: sounds just like my experience as I was running similar pressures in a struggle to reduce the sag to a reasonable level. The thing wept much more onto the shaft than I expected as well. TFT wasn’t very complimentary about the rebound circuit in the DHX Air either.

Even Turner recommended a DHX Coil for big stuff or the RP23 for anything else. Guess they aren’t so found of the Air version anymore either.

The-Beard

Just out of interest – what kind of a deal?

I have a 5spot with a DHX air shock and I’d really like to change it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

“it rode like a dog wiping its arse”.

That’d be me!

Whats so good about the Hustler? I’ve heard this said a couple of times.

MartynS

now… I’ve got the Romic coil shock on mine. I realise Romic are no more, but when I replace it I’m having another coil, possibly the fox vanilla. BUT it will be a coil shock!

fivespot
    Free Member

scienceoffice- when I had my 5spot (late 05 Horstlink) I thought it was brilliant, then I read a 4 bike test ( MBR Feb 07 I think)on the Orange 5, Cove Hustler, Ellsworth Epiphany & Turner 5spot. The Ellsworth & Turner got 8/10, the Orange and Cove got 10/10. Soon after I had the chance to test ride a Hustler at my local Llandegla trail. The main things that I noticed a first were the planted confidence inspiring fron end, and the plusher backend. After that I picked-up a seconhand frame a started throwing money at it. I will be putting a pic of it in the full sus thread on this forum in the next hour or so.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Beard: TFT have 2008 and 2009 (bigger air sleeve). The 2009 can apparently blow through the middle of it’s travel a little more, yadda yadda, whatever, he didn’t think it was worth the difference and did me a 2008 RP23 (with delivery and fitting hardware) plus Push upgradee for £330 (instead of £350). I won’t be dining out on the saving but hey, better something than nowt 🙂

Also, he mentioned Fox are due to put their prices up at any point soon. Who could avoid it with the drop in £ to $? All stuff to bear in mind I guess.

The-Beard

Cheers Monkey, though I doubt I can use any of those arguments to persuade Mrs Beard that I need a new shock…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2006 Turner 5 Spot – Shock Change?’ is closed to new replies.