Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • 2 Canadian Canoes on a T6 Roof – can it be done?
  • matt_outandabout

I’ve not been there, just had a wander nearby at Rogie falls a few years back. Ah well, on the list now.

jca

Have you tried putting them on sideways?

beamers

Have you tried putting them on sideways?

Do you mean sliding the canoe up at 90 degrees to the rack and then rotating it once its up there?

If so, i’ve not. I’ll give it a go. This might work with one canoe but with two the first one on the roof would be in the way when sliding the second up. Wouldn’t it?

Also, this needs to be doable by one person (me). Mrs B is 5ft 2 on a good day and can’t reach the canoe when its on the roof.

rob4424
    Free Member

Hi been looking for a way to load my open canoe for a long time and love the idea of the loading ramp. Do you connect the wood to the bars before loading and what length wood did you use so it wouldn’t catch on your wing mirrors.
    Cheers.

beamers

Hi been looking for a way to load my open canoe for a long time and love the idea of the loading ramp. Do you connect the wood to the bars before loading and what length wood did you use so it wouldn’t catch on your wing mirrors.
    Cheers.

@rob4424
    – I use 3 pieces of wood. 1 rests between the front and rear roof bars and sits against the Thule Load Stops moved out to the end of the bars leaving enough space for the piece of wood to rest in the bars.

The 2 other pieces of wood form the ramp and are 3.6m long. I’ve cut angled notches at the top ends so that they rest on the bit of wood between the bars and remain in place when I’m sliding the boat up the ramps.

I also attach a couple of G clamps towards the top end of the ramp so that I can hook the boat over when I reposition myself for the final push.

Here’s a clip of the set up – Linky

Here’s a clip of the load process – Linky

Once loaded I strap the 3 pieces of wood to the roof bars so that I can unload / reload the boat at the paddling destination.

db

Can I offer a little enhancement to the above.

I had a back problem a while back and did something similar. However I have Thule Pro bars which usefully have a T slot on the back edge. A couple of spare t bolts, penny washers and wing nuts meant I could drill a hole in the 2 long ramps and simply bolt them to the ends of the bars. The t bolts are captive in the bars and can easily be slid to either side depending on the side you have space to unload.

Obviously if you don’t have the pro bars they are a big expense but I feel worth it and mean you don’t need any clamps.

These days back has healed and I can lift onto the roof but thought the idea might help.

rob4424
    Free Member

Thank you, I really appreciate the vids.
    I got 2 lengths of wood today from work and cut them down to 3.2m each making sure my canoe would miss the wing mirror.
    I got 2 storage hooks from B&Q and drilled them to the wood about 20cm down from the top so I can rest the canoe on the end before that push. The hooks will go over my roof rails. I’ve been thinking about if I could put together some sort or pulley system too so I have some mechanical aid. I’ve only got one lung and have muscle and nerve damage so trying to find the easiest way possible to get it up there.

beamers

No problem.

I’ve also thought about trying to rig up some sort of pulley system so I’d be interested to see if you create one. Out boat weighs 40kg and its probably just on the limit of my able bodied strength with my ramp set up for a solo lift.

How heavy is your boat?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘2 Canadian Canoes on a T6 Roof – can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.