Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 19 Unintentionally Disturbing Moments From Kids’ Books
  • loddrik
    Free Member

You think they’re bad, what about in Mr Bump where Mr Herd the farmer hides behind a tree with saw in hand raised ready to bring it down on Mr Noseys nose. One can only imagine the ensuing carnage…

arrpee
    Free Member

Have you ever read Little Red Riding Hood as an adult? It’s mental.

Drac

Hahaha! Some brilliant ones.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Class! did laugh out loud!

yunki
    Free Member

Hah! 😆

Yes Loddrik.. I had to ban the Mr Nosey book from a 3yo yunki Jr..
    What a message that was.. don’t be inquisitive or the whole town will occasion violence upon your face with hammers and saws 😯

FFS!

I find the message behind a lot of stuff aimed at children is very ill conceived if you look at it through a kids eyes

hatter

The messages in some nursery rhymes are somewhat perturbing at times.

My 2 year old was singing ‘Goosey Goosey gander’ the other day and it contains the classic line.

“There I met an old man who wouldn’t say his prayers, so I took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs”

If Abu Hamza did nursery rhymes….

jfletch
    Free Member

Have you ever read Little Red Riding Hood as an adult? It’s mental.

Hansel and Gretel should be 18 rated. It’s properly violent.

Also ours got given a book called Chicken Licken the other day. Basically the book sets the child up to form an emotional bond with Chicken Licken as she goes about her day meeting larger and larger birds until at the end she her band of meery poultry meet a fox who then cons then into getting eaten for lunch.

It’s just cruel.

Stoner
    Free Member

I find the message behind a lot of stuff aimed at children is very ill conceived if you look at it through a kids eyes

I disagree. I think most of the messages through a kids eyes are pretty benign. You need to have an adult’s degenerate sense of the macabre/sexuality/violence to wilfully mis-interpret them 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

The Three Little Pigs doesn’t end well for two of our heroes before the Big Bad Wolf is eventually boiled to death.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The original Hans Chistian Anderson books are quite grim I understand (could be an urban myth 😳 ). In Cinderella (not writen by him I just checked) one of the ugly sisters cuts her toes off to try and get the slipper on 😯

neilthewheel

Wasn’t there a character in Swallows and Amazons called Titty?
    Fat Pussy looks like our cat.

D0NK

The Three Little Pigs doesn’t end well for two of our heroes before the Big Bad Wolf is eventually boiled to death.

the first two pigs run to the brick house in the book our kids have, still ends badly for wolfy tho.

I think most of the messages through a kids eyes are pretty benign. You need to have an adult’s degenerate sense of the macabre/sexuality/violence to wilfully mis-interpret them

some yes, others I’m not so sure, I do know a lot of kids TV episodes appear to be about fixing something monumentally stupid the main protagonist did in the first 2 minutes. Can’t decide whether “don’t be a dick” would be a better message than “fix your **** ups”

emsz
    Free Member

The whole of charlottes web is the story of a piglet being fattened for slaughter. the spider dies, the little girl Fern (who can somehow speak with animals ) and is eight has a boyfriend by about half way in!!! The whole book is just a bit bonkers really

bob_summers

Did anyone else have Struwelpeter (sp?) as a kid?

Saw this in the local bookshop t’other day. Flashing clown.

jfletch
    Free Member

I do know a lot of kids TV episodes appear to be about fixing something monumentally stupid the main protagonist did in the first 2 minutes

This is why the newest incarnation of Postman Pat is utter shite. New Pat is just a complete cretin who continually needs to be bailed out by his friends.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s not the violence and sex that puts me off so much as the dimwitted morality

Did anyone else have Struwelpeter (sp?) as a kid?

I remeber that! Isn’t there a story in it about a kid who gets his thumbs cut off by a guy wielding a giant pair of scisssors? With gory illustrations as well.

Cougar

her band of meery poultry meet a fox

Foxy Loxy, if memory serves.

I disagree. I think most of the messages through a kids eyes are pretty benign

I think kids just process things differently from adults. As kids, the messages you take from something like Red Riding Hood is all “my grandma, what big eyes you’ve got,” it’s a pretend scenario and that’s how kids process it I reckon.

As an adult though, that story is properly shady. An anthropomorphised wolf grooms a little girl alone in the forest, tricking her into telling him where she’s going. He then cons his way into a sick old lady’s house, attacks and eats her, then indulges in a spot of cross-dressing in the dead woman’s nightie in order to trick her bereaved granddaughter into bed. What other things Little Red Riding Hood thought were unusually oversized, we can only speculate.

So, yeah. I’ve heard parents say things like “I’m going to gobble you all up, omnomnom” and the kid bursts into giggles rather than being terrified at the threats of infanticide and cannibalism. Their brains don’t take the same things seriously that we do.

Cougar

the first two pigs run to the brick house in the book our kids have, still ends badly for wolfy tho.

That’s another thing. Modern incarnations of fairy tales seem to have become diluted over time. The original versions are often much more grim(m).

emsz
    Free Member

Forgive me for asking. Why us the sad clown looking at his ummmmmmm, thingy?

That’s another thing. Modern incarnations of fairy tales seem to have become diluted over time. The original versions are often much more grim(m).

I think the originals weren’t just meant for kids.

D0NK

emsz – Member
    The whole of charlottes web is the story of…

spoiler!

BTW can anyone remember a kids book, it was a twist on various childrens stories, pretty sure one story had 2 giants called clotted and cream, jack the retired giant killer going back to work. Think the title was something to do with wolf.

DaRC_L

I think the originals weren’t just meant for kids.
    Yes they were – but kids were hardier then! It is becoming an issue for kids (there was a comment on BBC somewhere) that over-protection is making them less resilient psychologically.

bob_summers

Why us the sad clown looking at his ummmmmmm, thingy?

ISTR it was to help kids learn about their bodies (a girly version exists too). But the disturbing thing for me was the cartoon characters are based on real performers, the Basque version of the Chuckle Bros., if you like. So I just get a mental image of this mustachioed man looking at (and playing with, inside the book…) his thingy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hansel and Gretel should be 18 rated. It’s properly violent.

The Brothers Grimm collected folk tales. I don’t think they were specifically for kids, but somewhere along the line people decided that fairies and the like were childish.

bob_summers

the newest incarnation of Postman Pat is utter shite

I concur, having just watched a couple of episodes of SDS with the weean.

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve just realised that the clown’s got a moustache…so here’s an adult playing with his thingy?

this is a children’s book? Right?

yunki
    Free Member

Thomas the Tank Engine gets me..

What’s the message there..?
    ‘Be an irritating little tit and you can still have your own TV show’?

Awesome

Reverand **** or what ever he was called needs to have a word with himself

emsz
    Free Member

the thomas stories are well **** up. Doesn’t one of them get bricked up for years for not wanting to go out in the rain?

I also remember one I was reading to my brother once about one who got painted pink, and all the other’s took the piss?

AND there are no girl engines

shit books

yunki
    Free Member

it’s weird **** shit man

Cougar

AND there are no girl engines

ISTR that there is, but only the one. I may have made that up though.

Cougar

Emily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_engines_(Thomas_%26_Friends)#Emily

There’s a handful more “guest star” type engines who are female too apparently. Who knew.

Stoner
    Free Member

and Emily is a right bossy cow too. 🙂

I’ve just realised that the clown’s got a moustache…so here’s an adult playing with his thingy?

It’s worse than that Emz. He’s an adult clown happy to grow hair on his top lip, but down below…? It’s shavin’ time!

Scamper
    Free Member

Took the nipper to see Thomas last weekend in the Cotswolds. I believe Emily was supposed to be there, but was evidently too busy on Sodor to make the trip 🙁

emsz
    Free Member

and Emily is a right bossy cow too.

I bet she likes ‘special’ time with Annie and Clarabel, who are, like, inseparable…

konabunny
    Free Member

Ivor the Engine is the superior children’s book about trains.

bencooper
    Free Member

So, yeah. I’ve heard parents say things like “I’m going to gobble you all up, omnomnom” and the kid bursts into giggles rather than being terrified at the threats of infanticide and cannibalism. Their brains don’t take the same things seriously that we do.

You say that, but I need to be very careful saying things like that around our daughter, as she does take these things literally.

woody2000

Some unintentionally(?) disturbing reading work came home the other day….

I’m assuming it’s a subliminal message to Mrs W2K, but who knows, maybe it’s for me 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

If ‘1984’ or ‘The Trial’ had been a children’s book, Mr Messy would be it. No literary character has ever been so fully and categorically obliterated by the forces of social control. Hargreaves may well pay homage to Kafka and Orwell in this work, but he also goes beyond them.

We meet Mr Messy – a man whose entire day-to-day existence is the undiluted expression of his individuality. His very untidiness is a metaphor for his blissful and unselfconscious disregard for the Social Order. Yes, there are times when he himself is a victim of this individuality – as when he trips over a brush he has left on his garden path – but he goes through life with a smile on his face.

That is, until a chance meeting with Mr Neat and Mr Tidy – the archetypal men in suits. They set about a merciless programme of social engineering and indoctrination that we are left in no doubt is in flagrant violation of his free will. ‘But I like being messy’ he protests as they anonymize both his home and his person with their relentless cleaning activity, a symbolism thinly veiled.

This process is so thorough that by the end of it he is unrecognizable – a homogenized pink blob, no longer truly himself (that vibrant Pollock-like scribble of before). He smiles the smile of a brainwashed automaton, blandly accepting what he has been given no agency to question or refuse. It is in this very smile that the sheer horror of what we have seen to occur is at its most acute.

Somewhere behind this blank expression though is a latent anger – a trace of self-knowledge as to what he once was – in the barbed observation he makes to Neat and Tidy that they have even deprived him of his name.

The book ends with a dry reminder from Hargreaves that just as with the secret police in some totalitarian regime, our own small expressions of uniqueness and volition may also result in a visit from these sinister suited agents.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘19 Unintentionally Disturbing Moments From Kids’ Books’ is closed to new replies.