• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Simon.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What android tablet?
  • scruff9252

I need to get a new android tablet, what’s the current best offering? I had a Hudl which was great, however I cracked the screen which killed it and cost effective replacement screens are unavailable.

I need to have inbuilt GPS and the availability of tough / waterproof covers is a nice to have.

I am very close to just buying another hudl but the lack of supply of spares grates a bit.

Stoner
    Free Member

nexus 7 every day.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ditto but worth considering that the N8 may be out soon

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/tablets/3530180/why-there-wont-be-nexus-7-2014/

kimbers
    toby1

Love my Nexus 7, does all I need it to.

chambord

Nexus 7/8, as said above.

But! From nemesis’s link.

It’s also rumoured that Google will ditch Qualcomm and its reliable Snapdragon chips for Intel’s Moorefield

That is huge for Intel if true.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the LG G pad. Great bit of kit. About the same size as the Hudl but an 8″ screen. Couldn’t live without and SD card slot so the Nexus 7 is out for me.

Toasty

Very much doubt they’ll dump Snapdragon, especially not for Intel. They’d have to swap to Android x86, which is rubbish. I’d say a Tegra K1 is more likely than Intel, the Tango prototypes they had at Google I/O were using them.

I’d agree with Nexus 7, the new style thin one, lovely thing 🙂 Used mine every day at work, it’s been completely rock solid.

stumpy01

There’s not a great range of cases available, but +1 for the LG GPad. Was going to get a Nexus 7 until I tried the GPad; it strikes a good balance between compact and large enough to be usable. Screen size is just right for me.

Loads of reviews moan about the face it doesn’t ship with Kitkat and doubts about LG bothering to update it, which didn’t really concern me. But about 2 weeks after buying it, I got an update notification and it’s now runnning Kitkat.
    Loads of reviews also moan about certain aspects of the software, particularly the LG Skin, but most of the stuff they moan about can be turned off if you don’t want to use it. Most of the stuff isn’t obtrusive, so doesn’t make any difference to the use of the tablet.

peachos
    Free Member

that nexus 7 Kimbers linked to is the 2012 version i think.

chambord

Very much doubt they’ll dump Snapdragon, especially not for Intel. They’d have to swap to Android x86.

That’s what I was thinking – it doesn’t really make sense and if true would suggest some kind of shift (Even if only on tablets?) to x86. Just seems to mad to be true, but if it were it would be massive for Intel 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, I have a 2012 N7 running 4.4.4 and it is starting to slow down at times. It’s still perfectly usable but I’m reckoning that Nemesis Jnr might be getting it in a year or so 🙂

Toasty

it doesn’t really make sense and if true would suggest some kind of shift (Even if only on tablets?) to x86

There’s a couple of x86 tablets about, Dell have done one (http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8/pd). It’s still a bit shonky though, really wouldn’t be a good fit for a Nexus.

They’re trying to get Android applications running natively on Chromebooks too, which would suggest they want solid x86/ARM, as they can use either.

On a slight tangent, if anyone is looking for a cheap internet machine, you can pick up Chromebooks for £150 or so now. The Intel based ones are crazy fast compared to tablets. Finding I’m using mine a lot 🙂

wwaswas

I’ve got a Sony Z2 tablet.

Lovely bit of kit and waterproof out of the box.

I got the 3g one and it uses my Z phone as 4G access point if I’m out the house.

loddrik
    Free Member

What android tablet?

An ipad. 😉

richc
    Free Member

I thought it was going to get a tegra chip again

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Good deals on Nexus 10’s if you look around. Love mine!

brassneck

They were matching Kimbers Play deal in The Range if you have one nearby. Also had a small Galaxy Tab thing for around £90 that seemed decent value too.

jekkyl

you know you can use tesco clubcard vouchers to essentially buy a hudl for half the price, right?

richc
    Free Member

you know you can use tesco clubcard vouchers to essentially buy a hudl for half the price, right?

You know you can use tesco clubcard vouchers to essentially by a Full sus mountain bike for half the price, right?

jonnyx
    Free Member

If you liked hudl , you could go refurbished for a cheaper option, 12 month warranty etc..
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesco-hudl-7-lcd-tablet-refurb-black-59-tesco-outlet-ebay-1933213

Simon

I’ve got a Nexus 7 which is very nice and worked well for almost exactly 12 months at which point it went wrong.
    After my experience with Asus customer support I would never buy another of their products.
    They eventually repaired it but it took two months and many, many emails and phone calls before they would accept it was still under warranty.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What android tablet?’ is closed to new replies.