• This topic has 31 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamz.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 18 mile commute each
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Hi

Current commute is 11 miles and i do there and back 1 week and just one way the following week on my charge grater ss

I am looking at moving house and the commute will be 18 miles each way and will have to do there and back everyday use to lack of public transport.

Does anyone do a similar commute?

I would use it as ab excuse for a new bike but not sure if i should go drop bars or flat bar?

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Also think of staying single speed and getting a belt drive

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

My commute is around same distance but I only manage 4 days. I use my old road bike and reckon anything less would be too much. I suppose it depends a lot on the terrain. My ride is downhill in and uphill back around 1000ft so not too bad.

theotherjonv

18 miles is doable, assuming you are reasonably fit* already from the current commute, and of course depending on the terrain, junctions, traffic……. I’d say 60-75 mins each way. Not so different to many people’s drives or train journeys.

* and getting fitter still

Whether you’d want to is another question. You’d be damn fit as a result by the weekend, with 180 miles and eight hours of riding, but would you be knackered and too sick of bikes to be able to make use of it?

Is it possible to split the commute – you say public transport not an option but folder to the station, and then train for example?

Or is it here where an ebike to cut the time and/or save legs might be a call?  You can get e-roadbikes

piemonster

Use to do a hilly 18m each way and a 21m each way. And all year round.

To be honest done 4 days out of 5 was fine, Id be more concerned about what the riding is like. Both of my commutes were either largely segregated from traffic or quiet genuinely good fun back lanes. It was never a chore it was a joy!

Then I got a puppy, which screwed over the option of regular commuting.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you’re not seriously considering an e-bike (Halfords have some under £1k at the mo, salary sacrifice purchase says “Hi”), I would rule flat bar bikes out altogether, IMO you need a better balance of aero vs comfort.

Prawny on here typically covers that sort of ballpark miles per week.

I think it would threaten to destroy my relatively new found love of cycling 100+ miles per week, I’ve only done 180+ twice and I think I followed them both by easy weeks.

richmars

I used to do 20 miles each way, SS, but in fairly flat Cambridgeshire. It was hard work and fortunately work moved after about 9 months to just 12 miles. So do-able, but not the pleasure something shorter is.

joebristol

Depends on how hilly the route is and what kind of roads. I do an 8.5 mile route each way 2 or maybe 3!times a week but it’s pretty flat.

I think to 18 each way I’d either be getting something light and quick of the racer variety but with comfy tyres – 25 or 28 sort of size and make sure it has disc brakes or looking at e bikes.

It wouldn’t even cross my mind to go single speed – you’d be mental to do that imo!

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

15 miles each way, every day here.

Relatively flat, along the coast into Edinburgh  no hills to speak of but the wind is a massive factor that would completely rule out single speeds for me. I’ve had 11mph average into the teeth of a gale and 20+ mph average with the same wind behind me.

I’d agree with what’s been said about choice of bike. I use an Orbea Avant carbon road bike with 28mm tyres and discs most of the year (plus a roadrat set up with ice spikes for when the temp drops). I do a detour on the way home a couple of times a week to add a little extra mileage and some hills so want to be riding a bike that is actually fun to ride.

HTH

martymac

Ive done 22 miles each way for a few months back in the 90s.

Yes, i did get fitter, but i also pretty much stopped riding my bike at other times.

But you are not me, so try it and see how it goes for you.

Personally, id go ebike or proper road bike (something that can take 28c tyres at least)

mudguards are a necessity.

Consider dynamo power.

Decent panniers are nice too.

kcr
    Free Member

18 miles each way will be a decent commitment on a daily basis. I agree that single speed would be a bad idea. Just the difference due to the prevailing wind in each direction would make gears worthwhile for that distance.
    My choice would be a road specific commuter, i.e. a cross or fast touring type frame that will take rack and full mudguards with room for 28mm tyres, and drops.

thepurist

Mines 18 each way – I tend to do once or twice a week as I have other sports going on some evenings.  It’s about an hour getting home, 5 mins more going in.  In the lighter evenings I’ll add more miles to the ride home.  Mine only has a couple of busier roads, the rest is quiet lanes so not too much hassle with traffic. Tbh I wouldn’t want to commit to it every day as I think I’d stop enjoying it pretty quickly.   I use a road bike with 28 tyres & full mudguards.  I did it on a hardtail mtb a couple of times and it’s not something I’d choose to use.

whitestone
    Free Member

My commute is 21km (13 miles) each way and while I can do it every day I find that after a few weeks it really starts to grind you down. Not so much that you can’t keep doing it but that you just don’t feel enthused about getting out at the weekend. I’ve occasionally done it on the single speed and it’s hard work but then I’ve not done a lot on the SS.

You don’t say how hilly the commute is, mine has 360m of climbing for the two rides combined, that can have a big effect on how you feel.

If you are looking at a new bike (no reason why not 🙂 ) then a CX/Gravel type bike would let you vary your route for a bit of off-road when conditions allow. Something like the Pinnacle Arkose or Genesis Croix de Fer. They’ll take guards, dynamo, racks so are pretty adaptable.

jimdubleyou

I’d say 60-75 mins each way. Not so different to many people’s drives or train journeys.

It takes me 65 mins to do 13 miles in that London.

It doesn’t matter if I smash it or take it easy, I’ve never done it in under an hour and it rarely takes more than 75. The limiting factor is traffic lights and traffic generally.

That said, if I was doing an extra 5 miles, they’d probably be on quiet cycle paths so might not be too far off.

Edit (because I can now): I only do it a couple of days a week.

shermer75
    Free Member

It takes me 65 mins to do 13 miles in that London.

Same. Traffic lights, the great leveller. Well, that and Death. But mostly traffic lights.

Daffy

Mine’s also 18 miles with about 800ft of climbing using a 1/3 mix of gravel and cyclepath, busy A-road and nice open swoopy B-road.  I drive one day and take most of my stuff for the week, I then do 2-3 days of the full 18 each way and the remaining days I do 8 miles in the car and 10 on the bike each way.

Average is 100-120miles PW on the bike and 60 in the car.  It takes 45-50 mins (depending upon traffic) on the way into work and 50-60 mins on the way home due to about 400ft more climbing toward the end of the ride – that’s for the full 18 miles and around 30mins (including changeover from car to bike and visa versa) when doing the half and half.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Done 17 each way, London, fixed gear, dropped bars, full mudguards. It was ok but I did find it was expensive in terms of time as including clean up the commute was a good chunk over a hour (1:15 I seem to remember) which is too , long IMO. Didn’t find it too much physically but I was about 28 at the time.

I don’t think a ebike would speed things up unless it was hilly but would reduce fatigue.

jonba
    Free Member

A proper, simple bike would be my recommendation. SS might be ab it much on bad days.

A friend of mine does something similar. He is a fit racer but ended up buying an e-bike. Some days he rides in normally but it was proving too many junk miles and racing was suffering. If you are just getting from A to B an E bike might be a nice option for those days when it is really windy or you aren’t 100%.

jaminb
    Free Member

17 miles each way in to London for me but I only do it 2 or 3 times a week.  I take a quiet route with cycle paths so lots of stopping and starting and it usually takes about 1 hour 20.  Front door to desk is the same time as train and tube commute. I think I have the heaviest commuting set up in London – old touring Bike with huge pannier full of files, laptop, breakfast, pants socks and shirt (in shirt shuttle) but I am in no rush. I do have a locker for suit and shoes and take a second pannier when it is change over day.

good luck

fossy

I used to on a fixed gear road bike with panniers. Simplicity of no gears.  Unfortunately the commute came to an end when a driver hit me and broke my spine.  I drive to work as I had too many close shaves on my route.

stevie750

Mine used to be about a flat 9 miles each way and I did it every day on a single speed. Now it’s 18 miles, it’s not hilly but slightly downhill all the way in so slightly uphill on the way home. It was too much on the single as i really wanted a lower gear for the way home.

djglover
    Free Member

I used to commute 13 miles each way, thats 7 or 8 years ago now it was flat.  I am now 19 miles out and its not flat, so it is a much bigger undertaking, especially in winter.  I gave up and cycle in the lanes in the dark after work instead

flowerpower
    Free Member

I did this for a few months last year, for a time I was without a car.

First week I did on the fastest / most direct roads. Was shattered by the end of the week. Made a stupid move and ended up unconscious in a ditch – but very lucky!

After that I found a quieter route, actually didn’t take any longer as the lack of traffic meant I kept moving better. However through winter I found it really hard, and would occasionally get up earlier to make a ridiculously long detour by public transport, just to avoid riding.

I didn’t want to go near a bike at the weekends.

Just to put this in perspective – I am a middle aged, slightly unfit, female – you may well make a better go of it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

With fitness, it depends. 200 miles a week, so maybe about 12 hours riding maybe depending on terrain. What’s your current weekly milage/hours? Sounds like it’d be quite a step up so a 4 or 5 weeks of that and you might be getting very fatigued.

Also, while I do that sort of volume each week, I don’t do it as a commute so ride varied sessions and routes which helps to keep things interesting. If that volume was to and from work, same thing each day, wouldn’t be long before I was thoroughly sick of it.

Second the e-bike comments up there. Will take much less out of you than riding a normal bike. If I had no option but to commute that distance by bike every day, that’s what I’d do. Need an easy day, just turn the assist up to max.

bigdaddy

25 miles each way for me, but it’s too much to do it there and back every day, so I do 1 journey, 4 days a week, ie I drive in Mon and ride home, ride in Tue and drive back, wed off and repeat thur/fri. That works really well for me, no carrying bags of clothes either. And, 1 set of lights in 25 miles, happy days, cycling through Surrey/Sussex countryside!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It makes a world of difference if you HAVE to commute.

I think 18 miles is too far if you don’t have an alternative way of commuting/

There will be times when you are ill or just feeling tired, the weathers shite and you still have to get on the bike and cycle 18 miles after a day at work. It’s hard, and becomes a chore.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do 20 miles each way, pretty much every day.  I love it but I wouldn’t like it to be my only option, that would be tough.

I’ve been doing it for 10 years and doing it 5 days in a row is still quite hard work.

jeffl

15 miles and 1000ft of climbing each way here. Tend to do it 2-3 days a week. 18 miles is manageable but I don’t think I’d want to do it 5 days a week. Also need to ensure you have enough clean kit. I find if I commute too much I CBA to ride at the weekend.

fasthaggis

As always,it depends what your commuting conditions are like.

I have a mixture of 16 to 20 mile each way routes(road and offroad). I will mix and match depending on what time of year it is or how I am feeling,usually 4-5 days a week. I am very lucky that most of the options are idyllic and even the main road routes have good sight lines,low traffic (at the times I use it) and never feel dangerous.I don’t think that I could go back to inner city commuting or anywhere with lots of traffic,too much of what I enjoy about the commute is the thinking time.

benp1

I moved office last year, different part of Central London. means my commute is slightly longer, but slower as I use quiet roads on the way home as the main road is horrific.

I do 21 miles a day and just over a 1000ft of climbing. Doing that 5 days a week

I’m finding my legs are generally tired, it’s not big mileage but it’s enough to wear them down. Still enjoying the cycling, but not cycling on the weekend. In fact I have a free morning tomorrow, thought I’d take my bike to the woods for a little blast but now thinking a bit of rest would be good so might do a longer dog walk instead!

aP
    Free Member

I used to do 19 miles each way from west to east London. I could rely on it taking 1hr 20 minutes +- 5 mins, which was pretty achievable. Doing it every day though did become a bit much, and there were 178 sets of traffic lights which was a real bore. I used to use a Trek Portland with 28mm GP4Seasons and a rack and panniers with mudguards (obvs).
    I ended up not doing it every day, it just became too much as well as working a 10hr+ day. When the weather was better I sometimes rode my best road bike and there were a couple of time I got below the hour, but that was during the Olympics when there was significantly less traffic. There was a guy I’d sometimes catch on the journey home, on an e-bike. If it was a particularly grim westerly headwind I’d sit on his wheel for a mile or so to give me a break 😉

Jamz
    Free Member

I have 18 miles in the morning and 22 in the evening (quieter roads).

I do it on my TT bike with a lightweight rucksack so it takes me an hour or less in the morning. If you haven’t got a TT bike then I reckon some aero bars would be a good upgrade on a standard bike – they really helps, especially if you can stay on them for prolonged periods.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘18 mile commute each’ is closed to new replies.