Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • £1500 to spend on a FS in Feb, help me put together a shortlist!
  • dogthomson

I have a bonus coming in Feb and have secured permission from my *real* boss (lord knows how!) to spend £1500 on a new bike.

Ideally I’d like a full sus with the following…

130mm+ travel front and rear
    Geo that can handle some steep stuff as I progress but doesn’t climb like a pig.

Ideally I’d like to buy new, but I realise that I may need to go used to get something decent.

So… What should be on my shortlist?

Any advice and recommendations welcome.

submarined
    Free Member

Whyte T130 would be the perfect place to start IMHO.

mrhoppy

My Canyon Spectral ex8. 8)

This may not be the most stealthy stealth ad.

scotroutes

Boardman FS Pro
    Calibre Bossnut

coconut
    Free Member

Giant anthem 650b

kayla1
    Free Member

Cotic Flare frame. Close the thread!

andy4d

I little bit more travel but just got a 2016 cube stereo race 140 on CRC for just over €1500 with a 10% British Cycling discount code. Saving about 43% iirc. Great spec.

Andy-R

That Liteville 301 Mk10 that’s in the classifieds – run 26″ rear and get a set of 27.5″ Pikes or something and use 27.5″ front.
    If you want something for steep stuff you won’t find better IMHO.

craig24
    Free Member

Boardman Pro FS, plus a stealth dropper and you will still have change.

rOcKeTdOg

New Whyte T-130 inc reverb £1400

coomber
    Free Member

Whyte’s if you can find one in stock.

Vitus escarpe is what I plumped for and I don’t regret that at all.

Save a little more and get a bird aeris.

Not going to get a duff bike whatever you choose from the above really.

siwhite
    Free Member

Specialized Stumpjumper. I built a carbon frame, Pikes, Hope brakes etc for only a shade over your budget…

chestrockwell

That new Marin Hawk Hill looks good to me.

weeksy

Winstanleys have plenty of older model whyte t130s in stock

joebristol

Boardman fs pro would be a great choice to fit your description. Whyte t-130 also probably a good fit and they look great / have good reviews. Not sure how much the latter costs though. Boardman has pikes though

core

Bird Aeris?

coomber
    Free Member

Reference the whytes and others in general look closely at different year’s models. There are plenty of cheap older models out but they are usually when the geometry has changed a lot. The whytes went a lot longer this year for example.

Steelsreal

NS SNabb

tpbiker
    Free Member

trance

jezzep

Boardman FS Pro.

Just got one there is nothing close to the spec for the price and lots left over for a dropper post. Tyres are a little weak but not as bad as the reviews suggest.

Kona Precept 130 2017 looks good also for the money.

BR
    JeZ

v666ern
    Free Member

Where and what are you riding i.e. if you were planning FOD (trail centres) I’d get an anthem sx
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p6917/GIANT-ANTHEM-SX-27-5-2-2016

The standard anthem rips, so this would be more than capable for verderers.

Bit bigger stuff then the trance ^ is more than capable

dogthomson

Hi all, thanks for the replies so far and thanks to STW for featuring this post on Facebook, which was a surprise!

So far I’ve got the following…

Whyte T130
    Boardman FS Pro
    Giant Trance
    Vitus Escarpe
    Cube Stereo

All bar the Vitus appear to be available to view/test (semi) locally.

The T130 seems to get good reviews, wasn’t it WhatMTB bike of the year?

The Boardman seems the best value… [bikesnob]But it’s a Boardman!?[/bikesnob] 😳

As for what type of riding I’ll be doing, it’ll mostly be Wharnecliffe/Greno/The Peaks with the odd weekend away to Dalby/BikePark Wales etc.

I do have have aspirations of doing some Enduro events in the next couple of years so perhaps the ‘shorter’ travel T130 might not be best suited?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

It’s a shame you’ve ruled out a 29er as this 140/140 YT Jeffsy is a hell of a lot of bike for the dosh(around £1400 Delivered).

YT Jeffsy AL

bedfordrd

The Giant Trance (2014-2016 models) is an excellent all rounder, and you can fit 160mm forks as an upgrade at some point. Latest Trance are 140mm rear, 150mm front.

But I wouldn’t discount a 29er – the YT Jeffsy AL is roughly in your budget (less at the moment), and comes superbly equipped.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I wouldnt say adding 160mm is an “upgrade” for a Trance as it’ll hamper climbing abilities, it just depends on what you want.

I couldn’t recommend the Trance enough though and I ride exactly where you are, plus ‘gnarly’ places like Lakes/Snowdonia/Highlands etc.

Mate has a T130 carbon and thats also a very good bike, I enjoy riding that too so I suspect the alu version is also good.

richwak
    Free Member

I have a specialized stumpjumper expert evo 29er that would be perfect for what you want. Custom build.
    Let me know if your interested and i can send you some pics.
    Rich

ogden
    Free Member

I wouldnt say adding 160mm is an “upgrade” for a Trance as it’ll hamper climbing abilities, it just depends on what you want.

I couldn’t recommend the Trance enough though and I ride exactly where you are, plus ‘gnarly’ places like Lakes/Snowdonia/Highlands etc.

Mate has a T130 carbon and thats also a very good bike, I enjoy riding that too so I suspect the alu version is also good.

I have the 2015 trance sx and that has dual position 160-140 pikes. thats always an option for an upgrade.

+1 for a trance

bedfordrd

Lower end Trance (ie, in budget) will come with lower spec parts. Any replacement fork will be an upgrade from whatever is fitted as standard. I chose a 160mm Pike (eBay) to replace the basic RS Sektor on the trance – instant upgrade in ability of the bike. 🙂

joebristol

I’ve got a Boardman Pro Fs from the model before the one you’d be looking at. So 2×10 and Revelations instead of 1×11 and pikes. Upped the fork travel to 150mm with a longer air leg. I use it for general trail stuff like the XC/ DH routes at Cwmcarn/ Ashton Court / Adan, plus done a couple of uplift days at Bike Park Wales and Flyup 417. Been good so far apart from a few creaks. After a year and a bit I’ve just replaced some of the suspension bearings and all good again.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Ah well, changing the forks for a better fork is a different matter 🙂

I don’t get this notion that more travel always = better anyway, I had a longer travel bike prior to the 140mm I have now and the trance rides much better up and down.

Anyway moving off topic, back on topic – get a Trance and keep it at 140mm.

chiefgrooveguru

One of the new Bird Aeris 145’s. All their builds spec the more expensive parts where it makes a difference when riding rather than in the showroom. Nicely aggressive geometry for descending and climbing. Fantastic customer service. If there’s one to meet your budget then I’d struggle to look elsewhere.

rOcKeTdOg

What size t-130 do u need OP?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘£1500 to spend on a FS in Feb, help me put together a shortlist!’ is closed to new replies.