• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by spev.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 148mm boost and 150mm DH hub
  • spev

So I’ve googled and got conflicting results. As I don’t have examples of either hub to hand (and ignoring disc position for a moment) should a 150mm DH hub (12mm axle) fit in a 148mm boost frame?
    This diagram
    Spank 150mm DH hub width
    has the overlock as 150mm

this diagram
    https://www.stradawheels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/boost-drawing.jpg
    has the overlock of a boost hub being 148mm

2mm on a steel frame will make no difference, I understand that in most cases the flange distance on a 150mm DH hub are narrow (the same as most 135mm and 142mm hubs) so I wont get a stiffness advantage but other than that it should work or have I missed something?

ajantom

Disc spacing might be out I suppose?

(Ha, just reread your post and you said to ignore that!)

Andy

I dont think it will fit easily as a 148 boost frame has recessed drop outs for the hub to sit in. The equivalent “150” spec hub would be a 157 hub. Fitting a 150 x 12 hub would put the freehub/cassette close to, or touching, the non recessed part of the 148 boost ds drop out and the hub 6 bolt rotor mount too near the frame calliper mount (which I dont think you can ignore).

tomhoward

As above basically. Plus, why would you buy a 150 over a 148, if you don’t have either already?

junglistjut
    Free Member

I have a 150mm hub to hand (newbie bought the wrong wheel set) and the extra width has been added (compared to the regular 135 hub) between the hub flange and and brake disc.

With the boost hub on my girlfriend’s bike, the spacing between the disc and flange is the same as the 135 hub and the extra width has been added between the flanges.

I would give you proper measurements, but 2 of the hubs are being used in wheels and I can’t get a ruler in there.

spev

I can get my hand on (but not for about a fortnight) a Hope 150mm hub for free. Just idle speculation until I have it in my hand really. I could just use a 142mm hub and a spacer kit (as I have one of them) but my mind wandered off and here I am 🙂

psycorp
    Free Member

A 150mm hub will fit into an alloy or steel boost HT frame, I’ve run one temporarily in both, with a little persuasion.

Is it worth the hassle? Not really. My frames were both IS and I had to remove quite a bit of material from the IS/PM adaptor to get the rotor to stop rubbing on the pads.

spev

cheers all, I like a fiddle and making stuff but if its not going to be working well then I wont bother. It was only for a a stop gap pair of plus wheels

GeForceJunky

Cough*cheapboostpluswheelsintheclassifieds*Cough

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

No it won’t.

The cassette lock ring will hit the 3.5mm cowl in the frame. It’s a different standard otherwise they would have specced 150.

We are virtually giving away wheels at the moment to clear out the warehouse. 😉

Neil Superstar

spev

Geforce junky, yeah saw them they both for collection and it’s a little to far from Swansea to Stoke or Dursley 🙂

Neil, already had a pair of 29er wheels off you from the £100 offer(brilliant thank you) but I didn’t see any plus width rims there ( I may be wrong)

spev

Geforce Junky, thats how observant I am, didn’t notice they were yours 🙂 i’ll message you about postage etc if you dont mind

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘148mm boost and 150mm DH hub’ is closed to new replies.