Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 12mm thru axle to standard QR conversion?
  • blitz

Hi,

I’ve seen these wheels below at Planet X which look a bargain but I have standard QR rear setup and these are 12mm. Can this be converted and if so any ideas what adaptor I need and from where?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/RWSRX9ZTR/sram-x9-hub-on-stans-ztr-arch-ex-rear-wheel

Cheers

bounce

Snap! I just bought one of those wheels but am going the other route and changing my dropouts to 142×12. Hence my post above on finding the right axle…

Had a Google around but no info on converting these hubs to QR I could see, hope someone else can help.

scubashark
    Free Member

You need something like this to covert from bolt through to quick release.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-conversion-kit-qr-rear/rp-prod34779

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I looked at that wheel too, I also mailed PX who said it can’t be done, that’ll explain the price

blitz

Almost tempted to get one and that nukeproof converter to give it a go as its only just over £50 all in. I could always return if doesn’t work.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve used the Nukeproof on the front (15mm to QR) and it worked fine.

otsdr
    Free Member

The Nukeproof spacer thingy linked by scubashark is for converting 12x135 to 10x135QR, not the same thing. You could only use it if you were to machine down each endcap by 3.5mm.

I think this might be what you need, assuming you have the V2 hub: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SRAM-MTB-Wheels-11-2015-019-000-Assembly/dp/B00KSEZQJ8

Spare parts catalog here: https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/ifiGGtNp5SsOavZxWqJkWVKoS_4TzdmrAoomnJ8cNAY/mtime:1434644542/sites/default/files/techdocs/2016_sram_spc_reva.pdf

BoardinBob
    bruceonabike
    Free Member

If someone tries it and it works can you post to let us know please?

blitz

I’ve ordered the front wheel as that was 15mm which is what I have. If it’s good I’m probably going to order the back and that superstar kit and give it a go. Will probably be next week. I’ll post up the results.

STATO
    Free Member

Well the front 15mm has no quirks so not sure what your expecting there? The issue with the rear is PX state 12mm but not if its 142mm or 135mm. And SRAM make both so we dont know which will come.

If its 12x142mm then converting to 10×135 is difficult (the superstar adaptor WONT work, dont know why that was suggested?) but if its 12x135mm then the nukeproof axle posted earlier will work.

otsdr
    Free Member

Assuming the same internals and shell, one of these two axles on Amazon should work.
    The spare parts catalog doesn’t list different bearings/shells, hence my assumption above.

blitz

I’ve ordered the front as that’s what I actually needed (and it was in the correct spec so no doubts over compatibility). The rear just seemed like a bargain so I was thinking that if the front were good then I might try the rear for £40 plus an adaptor.

I guess I was going to try the superstar kit as it looked like it had adaptors for both 12mm and 142x12mm so guessed one might work? I’ve literally no clue though.

Maybe I’ll order the wheel and then get some more details on the hub before trying to sort an adaptor if those Amazon ones are the way to go?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve just converted a Syntace 142×12 rear hub to 135×10 qr. Pita to be honest. I took 3.5mm off each end cap to start. Bought some 12mm od 10mm id alu tube off Ebay (v cheap) and a 10mm adjustable reamer (even cheaper, from China). Cut the tube to be just less than width to caps, reamed out to fit Superstar 10mm qr and job done. Shortening the end caps accurately was the trickiest as I don’t have a lathe and in any event I don’t think they would have gone in a chuck due a turned flange on them.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m running a 12X135 Hope rear hub in my old Five (designed for QR)

I got one of these:
    http://www.bikeinsel.com/product_info.php?products_id=1282

Works a treat.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Now that looks a better idea!

STATO
    Free Member

The nukeproof qr adaptor posted earlier is does the same job but uses a standard 5mm qr through the adaptor, so you can use any qr. Got mine years ago to use my DH wheels on a trail bike.

blitz

I’ve emailed PX to clarify if the 26″ is 12 X 135. The 27.5 version states 12 X 142 but the other two options don’t specify so hoping this means they’re 12 X 135 in which case it looks like the nukeproof is a goer. I’ll post up PX’s reply when I hear back

blitz

PX have said that the 26 (and presumably the 29 as its described the same) are 12mm X 135. So the nukeproof should be good!

Will likely be ordering next week now.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I want to use this for singlespeed so need a 10mm bolted conversion. Any suggestions for that?

bruceonabike
    Free Member
    STATO
    Free Member

Bolt-up (well hex-bolt, not nut) version of the nukeproof axle here. Should be pretty solid.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Thanks. Sadly out of stock atm though.

STATO
    Free Member

Email hotlines (the importers (owned by CRC)) and ask when back in stock. They always reply pretty quickly to me when im after something.

blitz

So, I ordered the wheel and nukeproof adaptor. The wheel arrived and lo and behold it’s got a 12 X 142 hub! What a bunch of tits! So, that’s going back then as I’ve not got the skill, tools or inclination to machine off 3.5mm from the hub caps.

scotroutes

Hang on! Are you suggesting that Planet X got their specs wrong?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘12mm thru axle to standard QR conversion?’ is closed to new replies.