Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 125cc Insurance for my Son's motorbike.
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Bike ( 125cc restricted ) value is £450, Passed his CBT 2 months ago, Cheapest quote for Third Party F & Theft is around £800 a year.. Does anybody know anything cheaper or a cheaper way of doing it. ie. I insure it have him as named driver…

banks
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll get cheaper. Mine used to be 180 a year then went to 740 – 2 years ago everyone was buying 125s & insurance **** rocketed 🙁

so got a 500cc instead 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Illegal if he’s doing more miles than you – and something they are checking up on (don’t ask me how).

nickname
    Free Member

Have a look on gocompare.com if not already – quotes vary wildly 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just go to the comparison sites (we use Elephant) and see if there’s any deals on Quidco. Our Vespa insurance was £73 and I thought that we’d never get it any lower…. Then Mrs PP found a £20 cash back deal on Quidco and last year it was £56

(Just to make you sick, that’s fully comp on a 200cc bike for 2 riders…..) 🙂

kinda666
    Free Member

I’m sure Hastings or Carole nash were cheapest last time I had a quote…

tymbian
    Free Member

Just puked…..

PP.
    How long have you had your Licence?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bike ( 125cc restricted ) value is £450, Passed his CBT 2 months ago, Cheapest quote for Third Party F & Theft is around £800 a year.. Does anybody know anything cheaper or a cheaper way of doing it. ie. I insure it have him as named driver…

There have been instances of youngsters getting a discount on their own named insurance by adding an older driver as a named driver, might be worth a shot?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

12 years now

Now I’ll REALLY annoy you and say we insure a 1000cc Ducati worth £5k, fully comp, 2 riders, including commuting…..

Actually, no….. Go on, have a guess…… 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

About £180 ?

tymbian
    Free Member

Well done you. I know it has to do with my sons age, So I’ve been on Elephant and the cheapest TPF & T was £600 so saved £200 already. Thanks for the tip.

Incedently eBike was £378 Third Party only. The Quotes went up as high as £1857 ( peoples choice ).

I’ll never understand Insurance..My Pickup on comparison website cheapest £650 TPF & T

Aviva ( not on comparison sites ) £240 TPF & T… Fully Comp £200.. Put my wife on as a named driver ..£178 fully comp.

banks
    Free Member

210?

br
    Free Member

My son’s (at 16) scooter was £250 TP at my house, but £450 TP at his.

Seems that the TP price is a percentage of the TPFT price, even though the risk doesn’t change for TP…

But for the second year its less than £300 (which won’t happen if he was insured as a named driver). Still a bugger when its just to be legal, on a scoot that only cost £1000 new.

As a comparison, my brand new £10k Triumph 1050 was £303 comp, with full business cover, overnight parking anywhere and no alarm.

aracer
    Free Member

But for the second year its less than £300. Still a bugger when its just to be legal, on a scoot that only cost £1000 new.

I don’t know what you’re complaining about – the cost of insuring my 406 was a higher proportion of the £420 I just sold it for 😉

BrickMan

I’ve sometimes found third party to be MORE (at least when considering initial payment/excess values) than fully comp on cars, might be similar to bikes?

I’m just looking at getting my full bike test done (DAS) and haven’t even considered insurance yet. Hoping that being over 25 and my dream bike being some 30-40 year old touring bike means insurance companies won’t try to ruin me.

Stoner
    Free Member

blimey that’s pricey.

I use the one foggy advertises in the motorbike papers, cant remember the name.

But remarkably my premium came DOWN this year! From £118 to £106, fully comp on a £2k 125cc honda. Why cant car insurers be this nice?

br
    Free Member

I’ve sometimes found third party to be MORE (at least when considering initial payment/excess values) than fully comp on cars, might be similar to bikes?

Not for his Scoot, £450TP then £800TPFT and £1000comp…

I don’t know what you’re complaining about – the cost of insuring my 406 was a higher proportion of the £420 I just sold it for

Yes but this is a new Scooter, and my old 535i’s insurance was half’s its value (£200 vs £400) 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

About £180 ?

210?

£115.
    That’s right. For a 150mph, 1000cc Ducati. 🙂

We insure both bikes for almost exactly half the price we insure a 1.6 Focus for. Mad, innit?

dan1980
    Free Member

Have you tried Devitt?
    Seemed pretty cheap for me (£320 fully comp. I am 31 though)

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

MCN have loads of bike insurers details in the back of it so worth just spending an afternoon with a laptop as most of them you can get quotes on line. Bennetts – register on quidco to get the current £25 discount. When asked for the cheapest quote – say a little less (just tell a little white lie) – I like the challenge of finding a low price. Also insurance at the end of the month is cheaper as they have targets to fill. Paying in 1 go also helps if you can afford that chunk of change, When on Bennetts sometimes they have the same bike but listed differently and the price varies on that so worth looking at. I would go for third party if the excess is more than the bike. State every lock he uses eg disk lock, data tag etc as this brings down prices. Go Compare do bike comparison websites. Good luck and hopefully you can get the price down to something a little bit more palatable!

firestarter
    Free Member

Mad isn’t it Pete I’ve got a 1.0l diahatsu charade costs me around 700 and I’ve a tl1000r costs me 120

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I like the challenge of finding a low price

You don’t say…? 😉

If you carry on like this, soon they’ll be paying US to take insurance!

Firestarter – Yup. Crackers!
    (How many times has the TLR spat you off..? 😉 )

firestarter
    Free Member

None yet lol but there’s still time 😉

Northwind

firestarter – Member

Mad isn’t it Pete I’ve got a 1.0l diahatsu charade costs me around 700 and I’ve a tl1000r costs me 120

Throw-weight, basically- more likely to kill yourself on the tiller, more likely to cause significant damage to others in the diahatsu. I pay way less to insure the bike than the car, but then I’d have a hard job taking out a bus full of nuns with it.

firestarter
    Free Member

Fair one 😉

pjm84
    Free Member

750 Dorso – £156 Fully Comp / Social and business use / legal cover and breakdown. (2yrs NCB) – I’m 45yrs old though 🙁

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘125cc Insurance for my Son's motorbike.’ is closed to new replies.