Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 12 speed, shimano microspline, sram or stick to 11 speed??
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Hey all, my drivetrain needs replacing ( not crankset though). It’s currently a mix of sram 11 speed stuff, on a xd hope freehub. Shimano slx is notably cheaper than sram gx, but I would need to buy a new microspline freehub for my hope pro 4 hubs. I know slx is more level with sram nx, but nx seems to use a regular freehub and is 11-50 instead of 10. Either way I need shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain. Unless I stick to 11 speed, which for now, means just a derailleur. But wouldn’t be long till chain and cassette is required. Is it worth upgrading to 12 speed? If so, which option? Opinions much appreciated.

bigwill
    Free Member

If you are set on going 12 speed a good option would be to keep the Xd drive run a sram gx or nx Eagle cassette and shimano xt 12 speed mech and shifter. All told with a good hunt for lowest prices you could bring it in for £160-£180 . You will have no issues with sram cassette and shimano mech. Work well together.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve recently gone 12sp Shimano by getting the following bits…

Pro 4 microspline freehub
    XT cassette
    XT shifter
    SLX mech
    SLX chain

Kept existing crank & chainring.

It was really easy to set up and a joy to use, the up-shifting under power is particularly impressive. I’d highly recommend it, especially as Sram 12sp is apparently fussy about set-up and the rear mechs seem fragile (judging by my friends’ experiences).

crispy1980
    Free Member

People do seem to rate the shimano stuff. Cassettes are a lot more reasonable as well. Any reason you opted for xt cassette and shifter but slx mech?

chakaping
    Free Member

Just to save a few quid, it was just after Christmas.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    New bike came with SRAM 12 speed and first time I’ve had it.
    Prefer multi downshifts of the Shimano over the SRAM so will probably leave the cassette on and just replace shifter and mech for Shimano in due course for the reasons above.
    Have to say haven’t noticed a huge difference in the 11 speed on my other bikes and would not be swapping for the sake of it.
    Cheers
    Steve

crispy1980
    Free Member

That’s the thing, very few occasions when I find the need for a bigger gear, but, gonna cost me roughly the sane to buy All fresh 11 seed so seems I might as well. Would also mke it more saleable I would think

nickfrog
    Free Member

The GX cassette will last longer than Shimano so price delta on that is actually small. I use that with XT12 no probs at all. Best of both worlds for me particularly is you’re already XD.

crispy1980
    Free Member

If your mix and matching, what chain are you using? May be a good idea for me to change derailleur and shifter first I guess

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I did the 12spd Sramano mix a few months back (XT shifter+mech, Sram 1275 cassette) and although it ‘works’ the shifting isn’t brilliant.

I used a KMC X12 chain so maybe a Sram chain would give better shifts, so I might try that in the short term.

Otherwise I’ll take the plunge on a new Hope microspline + XT cassette & chain.

bigwill
    Free Member

Reggiegasket . I had this conversation just the other day, a mate and I are running the same mix and match setup, basically what you have, with the only difference been the chains, he also has a kmc and I run a sram XO1. The X01 chain did give much better shifting. I can only think it’s more matched up to the cassette. I have full x01 Eagle on one bike and shimano xt mech / shifter with gx cassette and x01 chain on the other, the mix and match is no worse in shifting, you get the better shifter with shimano being able to back downshift, and is less sensitive to the odd knock .

reggiegasket
    Free Member

nice one bigwill, good to know. I’m gonna try the X01 chain I think. Shuffles off to find some deals…

crispy1980
    Free Member

I have a blackspire snaggletooth chairing that does not play well with a sram chain. Do would have to be careful there

crispy1980
    Free Member

Where can I even get the microspline freehub? Nowhere seems to have it?

simondbarnes

Where can I even get the microspline freehub? Nowhere seems to have it?

Ask your LBS to order you one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘12 speed, shimano microspline, sram or stick to 11 speed??’ is closed to new replies.