Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 12 speed mech/11 speed shifter?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I used to use 11speed mechs (Shimano) on my 10 speed drive train, to get the extra range to cover 10 speed expander cogs. I know they worked fine with 10 speed shifters/cassettes.

Now I’m running 11speed across all my bikes, does anyone know from experience if 12 speed rear mechs will work with 11speed shifter/cassette?

Ta.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m currently using 11speed Sunrace 50t cassettes, with 11 speed XT mechs and it works, but has to be just right with adjusting to get all the cogs working smoothly.

Looking to see if 12 speed mechs will run more smoothly.

sillyoldman

Shimano 11 and 12 spd MTB cable pull is the same as far as I remember, so a 12 spd mech would work better on a wider than 11-46 spread 11 speed cassette.

lardman
    Free Member

@sillyoldman
    Thanks for that…. good to know: is this something you’ve tried?

sillyoldman

Not personally – got 11 and 12 speed set ups but not mixed them as yet.

Singletrack Unscripted: Talking About eMTB Batteries

Singletrack Unscripted: Talking Abo...
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Unscripted: Talking About eMTB Batteries
    boxwithawindow

I’ve used 11 speed shifter and 12 speed mech in shimano flavor to great effect.

I’m pretty sure they were designed to be that way so you could replace you mech with a 12 speed one but not have to throw out the rest of the drivetrain until that to was worn out.

lardman
    Free Member

Thanks ‘box’
    That’s what I was wanting to hear. Good to know it works.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes you can. It’s basically the reason that the likes of one up stopped making cage extenders. They did the job but you can now get a whole rear mech for not much more.

drewd

It’s a yes from me too. I’m running a 12 speed SLX rear mech, 11 speed XT shifter, Sunrace 11-42 11 speed cassette and a KMC 11 speed chain.

It all works as well as the 11 speed SLX rear mech and shifter, Sunrace 11-42 11 speed cassette and KMC 11 speed chain on my previous bike.

Superficial
    Free Member

I did the same with SRAM too. X01 11spd shifter and a GX 12spd mech.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m running a 12sp SLX mech with an 11sp XTR shifter (Sunrace 11-50t cassette) with no issues.

lardman
    Free Member

Resounding yes then. Thanks all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.