Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 11 Speed Question
  • philwarren11
    Free Member

Looking to go XT 11 speed soon with a 38t chainring and a 11-42t cassette.

Question is with this large range would I need a long cage instead of a usual medium cage rear mech for a typical 10 speed 11-36/32t setup?

njee20
    Free Member

No. If using single ring then a GS cage mech will be fine.

Big chain ring though, you sure about that?

philwarren11
    Free Member

Thanks.

Not far off same ratio as a 32/36 to climb in and I’d probably ok with a 34t on a 10 speed if I had one.

Gives me loads extra when pinning it! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’d still reconsider myself. Unless you do a lot on the road, or pedal down fireroads you won’t use 38/11 much. Stick with a 36 I say. Assuming 26″ wheels too. I’d go smaller than that if they’re bigger.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Why?

Even if i don’t use 38/11 much it’ll give me a better chain line for the majority of descents I do along with getting more chain tension because i’ll be up the cassette.

Yeah 26″.

I do a lot of uplifts and im living in 32/11 and often spin out at places like BPW.

njee20
    Free Member

Why? Best chain line should be middle of the block… Your choice obviously, just an unusual one, but you’re clearly aware of that.

ferrals
    Free Member

To be fair, doesn’t seem outrageous, I’m almost certainly going to go 36t on 650b wheels and isn’t the rule of thumb to drop 2 teeth as you go up a wheel size

njee20
    Free Member

Guess I’m spoiled with the 10t on SRAM. I did run a 36 on 1×10, but that was a bit tall in a couple of places, and I only used 36-11 on the road.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a 36 still in the packet, used the 34 and mow on 32 while I get fitness back… this is where the SRAM 10t kicks in to expand the range both ends.

Numbers here if you want to be sure…

ahwiles
    Free Member

ferrals – Member

isn’t the rule of thumb to drop 2 teeth as you go up a wheel size

that works well for 26->29, but you’d only need to ‘drop’ 1 tooth to correct for a 650b…

fwiw, i can just about cope with 32/36 as a climbing gear on my 29er, and i’m a scrawny pathetic weakling.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Its all about ratios.
    As stated i’m more than comfortable climbing in 32t chainring and 36t cassette, i could swap to a 34t chainring and would be ok.

What i would like is more gears top end. So if i keep the climbing ratio the same, which im happy with it would be:

32/36 10 speed setup is 0.88888
    38/42 11 speed setup is 0.90476

Be hard pressed to tell the difference.

But what it does give me is on the descents, obviously an entire gear. So in some where descents are slower ill be further up the cassette closer to a straight chain line and more tension on the chain.

Its places like BPW where im averaging over 20-25mph on the descents this would be perfect for.

ferrals
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Guess I’m spoiled with the 10t on SRAM. I did run a 36 on 1×10, but that was a bit tall in a couple of places, and I only used 36-11 on the road.

Yeah I am still considering making the switch to an xd driver, but I do find the 36-42 jump too big on my current expanded 10sp so like the idea of the xt 37t. I’ve taken the expander out for now and can manage all but one of the steepest techiest local climbs with 34fr 36rear which is harder than 36fr 42 rear.

I’ve spun out a fair few times off-road on 34-11, not on interesting bits admittedly but I think racing it would be useful to have the 36.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed Question’ is closed to new replies.