Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Citreon C4 1.6 petrol – what to look out for?! (Sorry, another car thread)
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Mrs RRR is learning to drive and has her heart set on a 55 plate C4 1.6 petrol.

I know there are probably more reliable cars but as a safe run around that she actually likes the look of, it doesn’t seem too bad.

It’s done about 75k miles – is there anything in particularly I should look out for when viewing / testing it later?!

Ta

Apologies for yet another car thread :-/

gordon
    Free Member

Where do I start?
    Broken Glovebox handle, £160 for a new one, Faulty boot switch locking boot shut, dodgy window electrics, central locking not working, speed limit system faulty, paint flaking off….and a list of advisories as long as your arm. We have looked after ours as well, I would steer clear if I were you.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Oh :-/

hora
    Free Member

If its the same petrol 1.6 that I had its very good IMO.

Go through all the usual checks. Why not a C1/107/Aygo? I think they are ace.

Don’t forget ANY decade-old car will have its foibles with parts etc.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well we need something big enough for mini RRR’s isofix extended rearward facing seat – that rules out most of the smaller hatchbacks.

I test drove another one and it seemed nippy and smooth enough tbh. I’m just scared of electrical gremlins ..

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mrs_d had one from 2008 until January this year. The only problems we had were (a) burnt out starter motor and (b) cruise control ‘+’ button stopped working. ‘-‘ button still worked so you could still use the cruise control. It had 92k when we got rid

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm, well that particular one was a complete lemon – pulling hard to one side, lack of power, horrible noise in 1st and 2nd, aircon knackered etc etc

Kryton57

BMW Saloon?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

🙂 just after a run around for Mrs RRR to continue to learn in and then ferry mini RRR around in Stan..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

what to look out for?

A Ford? VW? Vauxhall? Volvo? Honda? Toyota?…..etc

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good plan peter . Then he can pay more(lots more) to fix the same faults

Your about to tell me your fords never put a foot wrong……

Neithers my pug or citroen bar wear and tear.

Id agree with your sentiment if e were lookjng at a renault or a land rover.

atlaz
    Free Member

I had a 1.6 C4 and it was pretty much flawless in the 30k miles I had it (about 30k before I bought it). After all the doom and gloom about Citroen I was pleasantly surprised.

Kryton57

just after a run around for Mrs RRR to continue to learn in and then ferry mini RRR around in Stan..

Alfa 159?

IGMC…

td75
    Free Member

Not wishing to hijack the thread. Anyone had a 2.0 HDI C4?

LMT
    Free Member

Should be ok, if its sensodrive they tend to wear out at that age, my 1.6 c2 vtr had the sensodrive and it failed stupidly expensive to replace.

If its a manual just usual checks, you would do with any car that age, check MOT’s any fails etc.. plastics might be a bit grim a car of its age.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyone had a 2.0 HDI C4?

In laws had a C4 for three years, never had any problems. Bit plasticky interior.

I’ve had a focus with the same pug 2.0 diesel block in for six years and its a great motor, loads of grunt, responsive. Manual box definitely preferable, the ford has 6 speed and is great on motorways. I like it a lot, would buy again, etc.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Petrol 1.6 16v check for headgastet leaks from front corner near cam belt v common.
    2.0 hdi good strong engine early ones have issues with turbo copy sensors. Can be repaired but pain and need to be set up perfectly.

td75
    Free Member

Went to look at a Citroen C4 2006 Exclusive. Got a question. It had a full service history to 105K. It’s on 118K now and is due a service by the looks of it. I could find anything to say the Timing Belt had been changed? When should it be changed? Or have been done? Loved the car apart from that.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Petrol version timing belt should be done at 100k. Service interval is 20k miles or 2 years, whichever is soonest.

If it’s on 118k and you do decide to buy it, I’d get it serviced ASAP and get the timing belt checked at the time. My mechanic quoted me about £350-£400 for a full service and timing belt job

td75
    Free Member

Thanks John. I was figuring around £500 for a service and a timing belt. Plus it needs 4 tires as well. I like the car. But I’m concerned it could turn into a money pit. It certainly felt nice though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

That’s always a risk with a car of that age. They’re a nice drive. Tyres shouldn’t be much more than £300 for a set of 4

How much is it when you’ve added £800 on?

td75
    Free Member

Car is £1950. So thats £2750. It also needs a new key fob. The buttons are broken. Is that a good price?

The other option is to go look at a 2003 100K miles Audi A4 1.9 TDI avant Quattro Estate. £3300 But it feels so obvious.

td75
    Free Member

Plus the Audi will need a timing belt done. If you follow the rule of getting the timing belt done when you buy a second hand car.

john_drummer
    Free Member

The key fob is not a big issue, £5 tops from t’internet. We had the same issue, trawled all round the French car parts companies to no avail. Replacement key fob from t’internet,swap the button half, job done.

I’d say £2k was a good price for one in good working order and FSH incl cam belt. Tyres are tyres, they need replacing every so often anyway, so I’d not include them in the valuation.
    If the seller can prove the cambelt has been done then, provided everything else works, it might be a good deal. If the cambelt can’t be proven then that’s a bit of haggling room.
    Check all the electric windows, lights, wipers, aircon, stereo, cruise control etc. oil filler cap, dipstick, coolant system, diagnostics system

I’d avoid a big car if she’s still learning, C4 is plenty big enough

td75
    Free Member

I tried haggling on the price this afternoon. But the dealer isn’t willing to budge on the price much, if at all. There is no proof of the cambelt being done. But it does have a full service history, all the stamps are there.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Does the c4 not come with two fobs , our c2 did

Maybe I’m to untrusting but for me no invoice for cam belt and I assume its not happened
    Is the history main dealer ?

Many places will just change filters and oil and stamp away regardless of what actually due at a set mileage

td75
    Free Member

Only one key with the car. The key flips out and is integrated with the fob. It was all main dealer serviced with stamps. Could see nothing about a cambelt change.

It’s raising some alarm bells with me. 118K without a cambelt change is a lot, isn’t it?

I suppose you pays your money and takes your chances. At £1950, it isn’t exactly a lot of money really.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Our C4 only came with one key. C2 we have now, same. Seems like Citroen first owners get careless with their keys

You could always offer the screen price on condition that they do the cambelt change and leave the old one in the boot. Walk away if they won’t do it.
    If it has been done at a main dealer then Citroen GB should have a record of it?

118k is only one service after it was due. Might have been done, might not. If not then it is due now. Paperwork might be in the glove box

td75
    Free Member

bI checked the glove box, nothing there. I will call them tomorrow. But they were not willing to really do much. So odds are I’m going to walk away. Shame, great car and I liked it in the silver. Thanks John, Orangeboy

orangeboy
    Free Member

I did buy the c2 off a main dealer as an ex demo so got both keys and plastic card with some code on for the cars ecu

You may be able to check with the dealer what they did at the 100k service last time
    And with a 20k or two year interval and the car at 118 it may still be 2000 miles before it’s due a service

Worst thing with ours 1.6 petrol is the piss poor throttle response , the pedal
    Seems rather detached from the engine

td75
    Free Member

I was surprised I liked it. Got comfy quickly, engine sounded great. No lights on the dash.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Our 1.6 c2 has been the most reliable car I’ve ever had . Far better than the vag stuff I’ve had just not quite as nice inside
    My throttle issues may be because I drive like lad and like to get the most from it
    Yet it still works with little more than fuel tyeres and some suspension parts

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well..

The 1.6 we’d hoped to have got turned out to be a complete and utter lemon. How it passed it’s MOT is anyone’s guess!

We have now just bought a 1.4 LX instead (not the best engine granted) but for £1200 with 67k miles , new coil pack , new plugs , new fuse board (?!), new suspension bushings and 8 months left of a transferable warranty, it seemed like not a bad deal.

It is due a timing belt change though (10 yrs old) – any idea on cost for that?!

parkesie
    Free Member

Fuse board was a comon item to be replaced on pug citroen and fiats of that kind of age. Usualy caught by the warranty and once done no more problems. Cam belt id budget 3-400

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

@rse

We’ve had the car ten days and today the “pollution warning” message came up and now the engine management light too! The engine runs very smoothly .. Ideas anyone?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Citreon C4 1.6 petrol – what to look out for?! (Sorry, another car thread)’ is closed to new replies.