Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 11 o'clock 11 November 2010
  • beamers

I know the issue of poppies was discussed on here a couple of days ago but what happened where you were yesterday at 1100 and how did you mark the moment, if at all?

Me, I stood outside the office with a large group of people at 1100, each of us Remembering the fallen and their families.

richmtb

At my office we were starting an all staff meeting at 11.00 but we took the time to observe the 2 minutes silence before the meeting started properly

yunki
    Free Member

At home… unaware of the event.. If I had been aware of it I would have chosen not to mark the occasion..

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Nice

freddyg
    Free Member

In the office, at my desk; a couple of minutes of quiet contemplation.

Yunki, please expand?

ton

we all stood in the shop for 2 mins silence……even 2 customers.

Edric64
    Free Member

At home… unaware of the event.. If I had been aware of it I would have chosen not to mark the occasion..

As a pacifist?

emsz
    Free Member

I only just remembered tbh, spent a moment reflecting on all the victims of wars. There was a phone going off somewhere which was a bit shit

yunki
    Free Member

I guess as a pacisfist of sorts yes..
    As a child I observed the two minutes silence and often had a little cry as I thought about the bravery of our soldiers and the suffering that they endured for us..

Unfortunately now I too often think of injustices that are perpetrated by Western governments using our armed forces as a tool.. and that saddens me for all the wrong reasons..

Edric64
    Free Member

I do see your point I think the 2 minutes is for the dead servicemen though not the rights or wrongs of why they have been sent into action.I will still honour the 2 minute silence and wear a poppy in their memory

McHamish
    Free Member

But then the two minutes silence isn’t intended to indicate your support for the decisions or reasons for going to war…it’s to remember the sacrifice that soldiers have made over the course of many wars.

But if you’re happy to not mark the occasion, and you feel this is an approprioate protest then that’s your choice.

Kevevs
    Free Member

stood outside ASDA , silently listening with disdain as one shopper was asking me “why’s it shut? I wanna do my shopping, blah blah”. Plently of oblivious customers still busying themselves, most standing still though. It struck me how people fall into line and copy others, I’m sure some people stopped and stood in silence, just cos others were.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

At home, observed 2 minutes silence with the dog (!).

Will attend Sunday’s Remembrance day service as son is in cubs and they’ve all been called up for church parade – first time in many years that I’ll actually have attended the sunday service though.

Whether someone chooses to observe the 2 minutes silence or not is personal choice, however they should always consider that it is the sacrifice of soldiers in generations past that means we are still able to speak & demonstrate freely – I wonder how many of those students observed the two minutes silence as it is those sacrifices that let them run amok through London the day before?

beamers

Servicemen and women are still exhibiting the same amounts of bravery and suffering as they always have. We have the fantastic efforts of today’s media to thank for exposing the reasons why our service personnel are fighting wars.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At home. a little quiet contemplation for all the dead of all the wars. From the Tommy in the trenches to the Iraqi conscripts in the sand

A special thought for the WW2 veterans I have looked after. From the man on the Atlantic convoys to the Doctor who landed on the D Day beaches and the others I have met

Wrong or right, what side you are on don’t matter when you are dead

yunki
    Free Member

Servicemen and women are still exhibiting the same amounts of bravery and suffering as they always have. We have the fantastic efforts of today’s media to thank for exposing the reasons why our service personnel are fighting wars.

I understand this.. and it only strengthens my resolve..

I have also protested in the past in my own small way by not choosing a career as a serviceman..

kinda666
    Free Member

I was at work yesterday, I left one train outside the station at Wolverhampton and waited till 1102 to let the one go on platform 4, before bringing the other one in!
    Station staff also adheared to the 2 minutes silence too! Felt good! 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

As people are pointing out, it’s about all victims of war, from the soldiers through to the children killed by a misguided bomb.

You could wear a white poppy…it signifies a preference to look for peace rather than solving problems through war.

yunki
    Free Member

You could wear a white poppy…it signifies a preference to look for peace rather than solving problems through war.

that’s definitely an option that I would consider in the future.. thanks for the heads up.

miketually
    Free Member

The bell rang and my class went silent.

Apart from one lad wearing headphones who continued to type; the lad next to him tapped him on the arm and he stopped typing straight away.

Perfect silence for two minutes till the bell rang again.

crankboy
    Free Member

I was in court representing a man accused of headbutting a soldier on leave in an argument over casualties in Afghanistan.

Despite suggesting we not start the case till after the silence the court insisted in starting at ten to 11 I got about two sentences out when the Two mins started and we all stopped and stood with bowed heads.

While I have issues about the Poppy Appeal I feel we all owe it to those who have fallen to actively remember them. The two minutes is a truly poignant way of doing that..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

however they should always consider that it is the sacrifice of soldiers in generations past that means we are still able to speak & demonstrate freely

But in my homeland, the British fought and died, precisely to stop my people from exactly that. However, I still think we should remember them too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We had 2 mins silence at work, announced over the radio net, & for a prison it was fairly quiet. We usually get some numpty saying ‘JT from Quebec 7, permission to move a fork lift truck from (A to B)’ etc.

intode_void
    Free Member

‘The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.’ I agree with the second part.

iain1775
    Free Member

In Debenhams in Derby listening to Blinda Carlisle’s ‘Heaven is a place on earth’
    actually I wasnt I was at work but how inappropriate!

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Store-music-played-11am-tribute/article-2881520-detail/article.html

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m reminded of Mark 2:27

trailertrash

I’m not. Enlighten me… 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Perfect silence in our class too – all 3 and 4 year olds. Explained that it was a special day and we were going to take a minute to think about all the people who’d been hurt.

matthewjb
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Not sure I get what you’re driving at.

gog
    Free Member

At home, used the good old beeb to get the timing, stood with bowed head to remember all the dead and injured of armed conflict. But especially to remember a colleague killed in Northern Ireland.

kevonakona
    Free Member

At work/school, we had a service remembering all the 3500+ pupils, ex-pupils and staff who fought in both WW. from the 17 yo piper on the somme to the brothers who died within a month of each other in 603 squadron. End of the two minutes marked by a pipers lament.

A few damp eyes and thoughtful faces.

gordonb
    Free Member

at work, at my desk… quiet.

I always think, that the silence is in honour of the poor souls who fought and died for your right to decide whether to remember them or not. It’s not if you believe in what the government says is their justification for being there, just the poor souls who’s final breath was in a muddy field, the other side of the world from their loved ones, standing up for us! Just my opinion!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘11 o'clock 11 November 2010’ is closed to new replies.