Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 10 Rigid Mountain Bikes For Low Faff Riding
  • stwhannah

Since Andi put together a list of hardtails for winter riding – on the basis that they’ve less to maintain – I thought I’d make a list of rigid mounta …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

10 Rigid Mountain Bikes For Low Faff Riding

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Who am I to ignore tradition? My rigid wonders (both bought secondhand in the classifieds).
    Both the perfect bike for the local riding on the Ridgeway.

0T0A0307
    Clumps-1-2

gazzab1955

Thanks for this Hannah, my resolution for 2021 is to start “bike packing”, although I may have to sell the older of my two carbon FS bikes before justifying a new BP specific bike Mrs B. 🙂

funkrodent

Nice bikes. Not sure where they fit on the n+1 priority list, which currently has a lls fs short travel 29er and a 27.5 fat tyred gravel/towpath beast jostling for attention. That said recently rode a mid 90s rigid Kona down Minton Batch on the Long Mynd and that gave me a whole new respect for the pioneers of our sport. Granted it was old skool geometry and 26 and ropey tyres etc, but bloody hell! Think I’ll have some bounce on the front, if only to save the wrists (& elbows and shoulders!)

Clink

From Brother Cycles website, “Unfortunately we will not be offering the Big Bro as a complete bike in 2020”. Great frame though.

Clink

“Nice bikes. Not sure where they fit on the n+1 priority list, which currently has a lls fs short travel 29er and a 27.5 fat tyred gravel/towpath beast jostling for attention. That said recently rode a mid 90s rigid Kona down Minton Batch on the Long Mynd and that gave me a whole new respect for the pioneers of our sport. Granted it was old skool geometry and 26 and ropey tyres etc, but bloody hell! Think I’ll have some bounce on the front, if only to save the wrists (& elbows and shoulders!)”

Think is old skool rigid bikes were arse up, head down. Ride a well designed modern rigid bike and the geometry is adjusted to allow more control/comfort – e.g. Jones, Stooge. Still shake you up, but more comfort and control.

stwhannah

@Clink dammit! A DQ to the Big Bro! Maybe I should have just snuck my own Stooge in.

Kuco

Good to see Kona still doing the Unit.

cloggy

Stooge or was this just a tickbox weekend supplement filler compiled by a YOP?

stwhannah

@cloggy as a Stooge owner I’d have put Stooge top of the list, but no complete bikes listed on Andy’s site right now so it didn’t qualify 🙁

keithb

Oooh how is that carradice in the lead photo mounted? I’ve a Nelson long flap (possibly the same bag) that I’d be interested in front mounting like that.

powerbenny

Great list Hannah. Minor correction: the “Ison” link points to the Kona website.

stwhannah

@powerbenny fixed, thanks! @keithb check out the review of the 1120 – there’s a pic that looks like it’s using the leather straps of the bag?

keithb

@hannah Dobson. Thanks Hannah, was hoping it was a more universal fitting, rather than a bike specific one. Hasn’t realised it was the Trek in picture.

wcolt
    Free Member

Waiting for my Yo Eddy to arrive with matching yo fork- can I submit that for the list?!

Woo

In recent years my wife Marie has decided no more camping, from here on it is 5 star hotels or nothing. From her comments I wonder if Hannah is going the same way.

ajantom

As Much as I’m a Surly lover (own 2) their UK/EU pricing is terrible.
    The Lowside is listed at $1200 in the USA – which is about £930 at the current exchange rate.
    Even taking into account 20% VAT that would only be £1116.
    So where does the extra £334 come from?!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

And the Travers (Titanuim) RUSSTi with a Prong fork for a great bike that ticks these boxes.
    https://www.traversbikes.com/russti.html

Or fit a Lauf fork for even more plushness

MrAgreeable

@keithb It’s a Camper Longflap and it pretty much fixed straight on. There might have been an extra toe strap or two involved IIRC.

stwhannah

@David_Bisset No five star hotels for me! I spent a chunk of this summer happily sleeping in the back of my car! But I do struggle with sleeping on hard ground – I have a hip impingement and labral tear that get aggravated by that. Maybe I should do a luxury camping mat test?

rootes1

Ajantom .. import duty and the vat on the lot, I imported a Jones frame and forks (in the classified btw) and import duty was quite a chunk!

sv

@hannah if you know you know #StoogeCycles

smartay

Genesis longitude single speed, the winter bile.

sillyoldman

That Jones must just be the frameset price.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘10 Rigid Mountain Bikes For Low Faff Riding’ is closed to new replies.