Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1 massive family tent + 2 adults = trouble?
  • david_r
    Free Member

Looking at purchasing either a Gelert Seabury 8+ or the Beyond Zenith 8 tent.

Big tent with the four pods sticking out of them.

Anyone know if two adults* can build these tents up? or does it require a team effort?

* we'll have three little kids and a dog to help as well.

Cheers
    Dave

tron
    Free Member

It should be a case of erecting the centre dome, pegging that down and getting the pods done one by one. Shouldn't be hugely problematic once you've got the middle section pegged in.

thehustler
    Free Member

most large ones take two to get them erect……..ahem!!

wwaswas

you'll be fine with 2 of you.

the biggest issue is that if they're young kids you can't assume they won't require supervision whilst you're working on the tent which means you end up puttign it up with 1 full time and 1 part time adult. It's still doable but takes longer/is more prone to starting a row.

We just got one of the outwell tunnel tents – probably easier to put up solo than the big dome+pods one we previously had.

brassneck

It's doable with two if it's not too windy.

Force 9 last time we did it. Plus I had to watch the little Brassnecks rapidly destroying the interior of the new mpv whilst doing it, but it was the safest place for them.

I think I'd buy a tunnel type given a free choice now, but we got it cheap off t'EBay so mustn't grumble.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

MrsWCA and I managed to erect an 8 berth old fashioned frame tent with just the 2 of us. You will be fine, just practise at least once first.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've heard good things about the decent pop up family tents. Up in a couple of minutes, one person can do them, and supposedly the newer onesare okay in heavy wind. A bit heavy, but no more so than all family tents.

Joe

tragically1969
    Free Member

You will be fine, just practise at least once first.

Whilst a good idea this spoils the fun for everyone watching you sweat, swear and struggle with a 90m2 piece of flapping nylon and associated 20 foot long poles!!

wwaswas

agree with tragically1969 – you should mtfu and try the initial puttign up of the tent at a campsite in plain view of about 30 other campers.

Other tips;

1) make sure you haven't read the instructions.
    2) that the children/dog are both tired and hungry.
    3) it's raining
    4) the tent was packed under all the other camping equipment because it was too heavy to go on top.
    5) you forgot that the tent doesn't come with a mallet.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

The Decathlon pop up tents are great. I managed to put one up by myself in a gale, took it down in a gale and it withstood the gale for a few days too. Great bits of kit.

norbert-colon

Spot on www

I always find it helps if you wait until it is just going dark to make a start…. you could always forget the gas and/or the cooker too (never done this myself of course 😳 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1 massive family tent + 2 adults = trouble?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM