Take the Orange 5 and blend it with the Orange Surge and you get this, the 150mm travel Orange Charger eBike with Shimano Steps drive technology.
Press release follows. Orange Charger first ride review here.
Say hello to the Charger
More isn’t always more, while a sledgehammer will crack a nut, sometimes the right tool for the job is something with a little more finesse. We felt that way about the Surge, in its element it’s unstoppable in its ability to take on the unexpected and get you out of trouble. When your rides are better rewarded for good line choice and cleanly controlled turns you want an E-bike to feel like a trail bike.
So say hello to the Charger – the newest model to join the E.P.O. line-up – the perfect Electric Powered Orange for fast trail hounds – 150mm of travel up front and 145mm at the rear, all Chargers are equipped with Shimano Steps E8000 systems and 504 Wh batteries.
This new model will be available in 4 specs ranging from S through to Factory.
The Charger has benefitted hugely from advancements made in our frame construction as a result of the new Alpine, Five and Surge. Our new E-bike down-tube, which is slimmer than its predecessor is featured on the Charger with its ability to release the battery at just the turn of a key. Meaning wherever you live or wherever you are you should be able to remove your battery quickly and easily to charge up for your next adventure.
Ride a Charger and its big travel brother back to back and you’ll find some pretty pronounced differences between the Charger and Surge. The Charger has a head angle, which is a degree steeper, offering a more lively feel to the front end. The seat angle is also a degree steeper, ideal when you’re hunting out those technical climbs and back country loops off the beaten path. We’ve lowered bottom bracket too, with less travel we’re able to get you nearer the trail, lowering your centre of gravity and helping the bike turn like its on rails, again adding to Charger’s naturally nimble feel; not often the case with e-bikes, but a key factor for us..
We wanted the Charger to be noticeably livelier than the surge and this is reflected in the bikes suspension characteristics, it has a pop and a playfulness, which encourages you to make the most of every trail feature available. The 145mm of travel is produced via a metric sized 230mm x 57.5mm rear shock and has a more progressive leverage ratio than Orange Bikes of old, helping keep the bike under control even when you’re not.
The Charger Range
Orange Charger Highlights
- Frame designed and built in Britain
- 5 year frame warranty
- Single pivot suspension for the utmost performance, efficiency, and reliability
- New Radically revised progressive suspension frame curve
- New re-worked geometry for confidence, speed, and stability
- New Geometry optimised for 150mm front/145mm rear travel
- New 230mm x 57.5mm Metric Rear Shock Sizing
- 27.5 inch wheels
- Boost 148 rear hub spacing
- Long top tube and wheelbase for high-speed stability
- Internal dropper post routing
- Choose from 9 custom colours
Orange Charger Factory
Featuring a Fox high-end suspension package with Shimano’s XT Di2 drivetrain and powerful Saint Brakes with 203mm rotors front and rear this is the super charged Charger.
RRP from: £7,700.00
Factory Spec Components Highlights
- Fox Factory 36 Float 150mm 27.5 Fork
- Fox Float DPX2 Factory 230mm x 57.5mm Metric Rear Shock
- Shimano XT Di2 Shadow Plus 11 Speed Drivetrain
- Stan’s Flow Mk3 + Hope Pro 4 Tubeless Wheelset
- Shimano Saint 203/203 Brakes
- Fox Factory Transfer 150mm Kashima dropper seat post
The Charger will be available in four model specifications from 18th June 2019
There will be 4 specs of Charger available from the S all the way through to the Factory with prices ranging from £5500 to £7700 with numerous upgrade options available.
- Charger S starting at £5,500
- Charger Pro starting at £6,300
- Charger RS starting at £6,800
- Charger Factory (above) starting at £7,700
Each of these bikes is available in a choice of 9 colours, orange is always free with the other 8 costing an additional £100. There are also 3 decal options to choose from.
As usual all our other upgrade options are also available, please see the Orange website for details.