As part of a head-to-head review feature, Rob’s been testing two 130mm travel 29er trail bikes; the 2019 GT Sensor Expert and the 2019 Trek Fuel EX 9.7. So which one has come out on top? Read on for Rob’s review of the Trek Fuel EX.
The Fuel EX platform has been kicking around now for what seems like forever. Well, since 2005 to be precise.
What started out as a 100mm front and rear travel XC machine, the Fuel EX has slowly but surely evolved into a 130mm all-round trail ripper. Getting longer, slacker and more aggressive in that time, the Fuel EX is now available in a staggering 18 different models and specs, plus five women specific bikes.
Here, we have the 9.7 model, which sits second from top in the line up. With 29in wheels and 130mm of travel, the Fuel EX 9.7 is, on paper, a do-it-all everyday trail bike.
Sorry but the rest of this bike review is for our Premier members only
Join us today for just 99p with code ‘stm99‘
Code is valid for first three months payments after which the regular monthly membership fee of £2.50 will be taken at the start of month 4. No contract – cancel at any time.
2019 Trek Fuel EX 9.7 Specifications
- Frame // OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame, alloy stays. 130mm Travel
- Fork // Fox Rhythm 34 Float, GRIP adjustable damper, 130mm Travel
- Shock // Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv 3-Position Damper, 210×52.5mm
- Wheels // Bontrager Line Comp 30, Tubeless Ready, 54T Rapid Drive, Boost 110 Front & 148 Rear
- Tyres // Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, 29×2.40˝
- Chainset // Truvativ Descendant 6k Eagle DUB, 32T Direct Mount
- Rear Mech // SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
- Shifter // SRAM NX Eagle, 12-Speed
- Cassette // SRAM XG-1230 Eagle, 11-50, 12-speed
- Brakes // Shimano Deore M6000, 180mm rotors front and rear
- Bar // Bontrager Line 35, 15mm rise, 750mm width
- Stem // Bontrager Line 35, Knock Block, 60mm Length
- Grips // Bontrager XR Trail Elite
- Seatpost // Bontrager Line, 150mm Travel
- Saddle // Bontrager Arvada
- Size Tested // 21.5
- Sizes available // 15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5
- Confirmed Weight (with updated cockpit) // 13.9kg (30.8lbs)
- RRP // £3,150.00
Today’s Deal Picks
Singletrack may earn a commission from sales on this page
|Product:||Fuel EX 9.7|
|Tested:||by Rob Mitchell for 3 months|