Maxxis has a growing range of Wide Trail (WT) mountain bike tyres, including several options with the more robust Double Down casing. To make sense of the range, we gathered the Aggressor, Minion DHF, Minion DHR II and Shorty in their respective WT Double Down outfits, and gave them to our resident rubber-punisher, James Vincent, for a mini-shootout. Over to James!
The original Maxxis Shorty was released to great acclaim back in 2014, as a rather specific mud and wet weather tyre. Relatively narrow at 2.3in wide, it worked brilliantly when conditions suited it, but those same tall and soft knobs that made it so great in the wet, made it vague and squirmy in the dry and on harder surfaces. Yes, there was a 2.5in DH version, but that weighed an absolute ton, and as a result wasn’t particularly suited to non-uplifted riding.
Fortunately, Maxxis has tweaked the design somewhat, and this new 2.5 Wide Trail DoubleDown Shorty promises to take everything that made the original tyre so great, and make it better.
Compared to the original 2.3in Shorty, the tread is more widely spaced out to fill the larger carcass, and the knobs are bigger too. Not by much, but it’s noticeable if you have the two tyres side by side. It’s as if the designer has just scaled everything up on the computer. The tread pattern consists of big, square blocks with gobs of mud clearing space all around, and there’s nary a hint of a directional tread pattern here – the Shorty is all about traction. It really does look the business, and wouldn’t be out of place on the front of a MX bike.
Maxxis Shorty 2.5 WT DoubleDown Tyre Specs
- Designed for loose powder, rocks, loam and muddy surfaces, damp to wet conditions
- Size tested: 27.5×2.5in WT
- Actual weight: 1150g
- Measured width 2.4in
- Rubber compound: 3C MaxxGrip
- DoubleDown casing (120tpi)
- Also available in 26in & 29in diameters, 2.3-2.5in width
- RRP: £69.99
The rest of this review is for members only. If you have an account, please log in. If not, you can get access by registering here for free.
Members get access to exclusive content like this but they also get..
- Fewer ads
- Post comments to stories
- Join in forum discussions
- Sell unwanted kit for free in our Classifieds
- Automatic shop discount on Singletrack merchandise
- Access more members only content
Premier members get more
- Magazine content in print 6x/year post free
- App access to every new issue of Singletrack
- Ad free website
- Big discounts on shop merchandise
- Access downloads like GPX files, PDFs and even iBooks
- Full mag archive access to all Singletrack back issues
Premier membership starts at just 1.99
|Product:||Shorty 2.5 WT DoubleDown 3C MaxxGrip|
|Tested:||by James Vincent for 6 months|