25 years ago I was riding around on a black Townsend mountain bike, pulling skids, delivering papers, and drooling over the latest purple anodised parts at my LBS. At the same time the cool kids were shredding up the trails at something called a “Mountain Bike Trail Centre”. Not feeling old enough yet? Well, the Tarw du trail (previously the RedBull trail) has been open for 20 years too!
Yup, it’s been 25 years since Coed y Brenin opened its trails, and to mark the anniversary a huge celebration has been penned out.
It all kicks off on the 1st October (running through to the 2nd) with Coed y Brenin’s biggest bike event, the Trek Coed y Brenin Enduro. The race and anniversary combined will include bike races, a FREE to enter kids race, retrobike display, movie screenings (Yes, “Mountain Biking – The Untold British Story” will be played), Trek 2017 products display and more! In fact there’s so much going on I’m just going to copy and paste it below:
- Trek Coed y Brenin Enduro – (30km/55km) [Sunday 10am]
- Nippers and Rippers (Free to enter kids mini enduro) [Saturday 9am]
- Official opening of Y Slab [Saturday]
- Fat Tyre Revolution Race [Saturday 1pm]
- Fat Tyre Revolution Party (Bar, DJ, Retro MTB movies) [Saturday from 3pm]
- Film “Mountain biking the untold British story” [Saturday 4.30pm / 6.30pm]
- Retrobike Display – [Saturday]
- Trek 2017 product displays – [all weekend]
- Muc-Off bike care station – [all weekend]
- Season-end sale (bikes/clothing) at Beics Brenin – [all weekend]
If you skimmed over the above list then you probably missed one of the most exciting parts of the whole event! The opening of a new trail called Y Slab. As the name suggests a whacking great slab of rock is the main feature of the trail. Riders taking part in the Fat Tyre Revolution and Trek Coed y Brenin Enduro will be the first to try it out!
It can’t get much better than that right? Wrong! The organisers are also offering 100 free entries to the Saturday Fat Tyre Revolution race. All you need to do for a chance of winning is sign up for the Coed y Brenin Enduro before midnight on 18th September (winners will be contacted shortly afterwards).