Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ZTR Crest- fitting tyres
  • arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

Struggling with getting tyres seated. Any tips for this please?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Fairy liquid on the rims. I struggled getting a pair of CX tyres on mine, but they slipped on easily with some washing up liquid on the tyres bead or rim edge.

Nick

My Specialized Captains, Bonty Mud x, and Nobby Nics all went up incredibly easily… Use soapy water (I did first time with the NNs, but not had to since), make sure no air is escaping from around the valve by holding the tyre against the rim there.

njee20
    Free Member

Getting them on, or getting them inflated?

For the former, MTFU. For the latter, press the tyre down around the valve with one hand to spread it out.

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

Getting them on….

ggrrrrr

Just sorted them. Bloomin things.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Must admit, I struggled getting tyres onto crest more so than anything onto flows.
    I think the central groove is probably deeper/wider in the flow. Had to resort to tyre levers putting mudX onto crest. Inflated fine though once on with just the trackpump.

njee20
    Free Member

Crest/Alpine/Podium are slightly larger diameter to aid inflation. That also makes tyres tighter. Particularly problematic with tyres like Schwalbe Tubeless Ready, which have a slightly smaller diameter – to aid inflation 🙄

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually down to technique, start opposite the valve as it’ll allow the bead to sit further into the well of the rim than if starting at the valve, then work the bead into the well in both directions at the same time. When it gets tight, go back to the start point and do it again and it’ll create a little more slack. Can’t remember the last time I had to use levers to fit a tyre using this method, even the impossible ones that customers have broken levers fitting.

nicko74

I also found it was a real pain to get the tyre seated properly – as in getting the bead out from the central channel to the hook. I think eventually it was a combination of washing up liquid and bl**dy high pressure!

br
    Free Member

tbh I find my compressor will pretty much get any tyre on any rim…

jimr80
    Free Member

Crabbie,
    Maybe you have weak thumbs. 😀

scoobmw
    Free Member

+1 njee20

Believe the Crest rims are pretty much at the higher end of tolerance and new Schwalbe TR tyres are tight.
    See Stans Foum
    http://messageboard.notubes.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2895&sid=e4a4fe47a1def59d2edbed2ed46befbb

kelvin

Have you watched the fitting video? Do.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Can’t remember the last time I had to use levers to fit a tyre using this method, even the impossible ones that customers have broken levers fitting.

Good effort that – I managed to break one Park lever on the Crest / new TR Schwalbe’s. Despite normally fitting everything by hand. They’re simply a nightmare to fit.

gavt0333
    Free Member

I have just had the same problem and realised it’s all about technique. The key is to really pull the second bead into the middle channel too. I found squeezing the two beads together as I went round worked but it won’t go on if the second bead is just sitting at the rim.

njee20
    Free Member

It is about technique, I can fit TR Schwalbes to Crests by hand without too much effort – its about gathering the slack as coatsey says – although I don’t focus on getting it in the channel specifically, just pass the tyre hand over hand picking up the slack in the bead.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ZTR Crest- fitting tyres’ is closed to new replies.