Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Zesty 314 or 514
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve got a demo 514 for the day tomorrow which the LBS kindly sorted for me, was supposed to be a 314 but Lapierre only had the 514 in my size….cunning Lapierre ploy?

Should I spunk the extra £500 if I like it, or are there loads of amazingly delighted 314 owners out there. As far as I understand it the difference is slightly better fork, propedal on rear shock, some XT and carbon rear end. Don’t really care about the XT or carbon TBH.

slowrider
    Free Member

Open bath fox forks are bloody good, nowt wrong with them IMO. like you say the xt stuff isn’t going to make any difference. For me the stuff I’d want to change on both bikes is the bar and stem, tyres and fit a single ring.

Your £500 does save you about a pound a half though which is pretty good, probably mostly in the frame, a bit in the wheels and brakes too.

I prefer the 314 colour scheme…

v10
    Free Member

Its not a cunning Lapierre ploy, i work for the distributor and our zesty demo bikes are all 514s 😆

We shift similar numbers of each every year. You do get quite a bit more bike with the 514, Carbon rear end does shave a good chunk of weight. The fork on the 314 is a good solid performer but the QR15 FIT fork is one of the best on the market and the bolt through does make a difference if your a more aggressive rider. Pro pedal shock is an upgrade but not really a necessity as they do pedal nicely without. Ive got one on my Zesty which I occasionally switch on on fireroad climbs but only if i remember! XT Wheels and tubeless setup on the 514 is nice and the Hutchinson Cougar on the front is one of the best trail tyres ive ever used. Whether all this is worth £500 really comes down to your budget, as its probably a fair price to pay for the upgrades.

314 is in WMB in the Trailbike of the year test which is out next week so that might be worth a read but whichever you go for you will be pleased 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

I didn’t read the spec properly, qr15 is definitely a bonus!

I thought the tyres looked a bit skinny on the shop floor. I’ve been hanging my nose over a 714…

v10
    Free Member

They size up about right for a 2.2, ive never been a fan of silly fat tyres though. Just do it, love my 714!

slowrider
    Free Member

Silly fat is where it’s at!

If splurge the cash ill try them first then, seeing as you recommend them…

v10
    Free Member

I switched the rear out (Cobra i think) for another 2.2 Cougar (run backwards). Certainly worth a try though 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

**** it..even more tempted now

DavidB
    Free Member

..and after hooning the thing round W2 today I am definitely getting a 514. One of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden and V10 was right about the Cougar.

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely worth the extra £500. Mainly for the lighter frame, bolt-through fork and upgraded shock (you will want to switch the propedal off sometimes and that is not possible on a Float R).

v10
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it – welcome to the club 😉

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 514 and love it, would of got a 714 if I could of at the time. Go for it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I got a 314, because even if I had a 514 there were bits I wanted to change. I think the only bits left from the original build are the frame & BB.

Worked out way more cost effective. Plus the 514 in ‘racing gold’ looks a bit suspect, not to mention the previous issues of Lapierre & carbon 😉

DavidB
    Free Member

Well it’s all ordered now and I’m on a selling frenzy to fund the **** thing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Zesty 314 or 514’ is closed to new replies.