Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Your favourite cycling experiences.
  • Smee
    Free Member

Mine – The dawn lap of a 24hr race.

crikey
    Free Member

Loads.

Desperately clicking the STI lever in a race in Majorca only to find that 53×11 was as far as it went.

Couple of stages on, helping to shut a gap down over 30 miles of pan-flat smooooooooth roads, then getting a draft off a police motorbike to the finish, some 5 minutes down.

Riding the 3 peaks cyclocross race.

Riding the Grundig in Strathpeffer.

Racing in Holland.

Racing in Belgium.

Crying with frustration over a puncture/snapped chain/broken derailleur.

Sneaking out for a 30 minute training spin before anyone else woke up.

Getting drunk in numerous bars across Europe and the UK.

mamadirt
    Free Member

The arrival of the postman 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

Double posting on this frankly shoddy website….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Salisbury Plain, on a hot, dusty summer's afternoon. Bombing down a fast trail in the heat haze, with skylarks singing overhead. Looking back to see the clouds of dust kicked up before heading to the Swan at Enford for a few. Good days.

fisha
    Free Member

54mph down the bealach … just remember looking to the side and thinking " the world is moving along pretty fast now"

singlespeedstu

Riding with THE TZF. 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MMMMM
    Watching Commonwealth Games MTB race at Manchester.
    Being Junior welsh MTB champion.
    spending 30th doing some AWESOME riding in Morocco.
    doing SITS 2002 where I met my now partner.
    Riding the old see-saw at Les Gets bike park a few years ago (so big I spent half hour feeling sick after I'd successfully completed it!).
    Riding the old Swiss DH cup off back of Pointe de Moisettes.

Probably loads more but those stand out in my mind at present!

bassspine
    Free Member

sitting in the forest in the p1ssing rain, eating flapjacks, miles from anywhere, with my son 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Discovering night riding.

First time in the mountains.

Cycling in the snow, in shorts.

Getting my heart rate up to 211bpm racing up a hill on the IoW.

My first urban xc night race.

My first xc race.

My first podium finish in a race.

The Superbagneres.

Kramer
    Free Member

The carvery at The Bear at Alderwasley.

Kinavit
    Free Member

Riding the Lairig Ghru, especially after the ammount of people who told me you can't do it on a bike.

Helvelyn, and coming down Dollywagon Pike with hardly any dabs.

alpin
    Free Member

recently, the descent toward Heildelbergerhütte from Fuorcla Val Gronda. a short push up to the Fimba Pass and then the loooong descent into Ramosch/Sur En. wow.

addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

My first ride back after being out for months with broken bones from a bad crash! Kinavit i would be well chuft to ride dollywagon with no dabs! Niceone.

ton

my offroad tours of scotland every september.
    with 3 great mates in the best cycling enviroment….awesome.
    just sad that we are not doing it this year.
    we swapped it for a week on the road in the pyrenees…….. 😥

Guybrush
    Free Member

Pushing my battered bike home after a massive stack on Gorple Road four years ago.

A man is walking his daughter on her pony, and he stops and says "Eh, mate, shouldn't you be riding that instead of pushing?"

I reply with "I don't think this should look like this" And pull my jersey up to reveal where my brake lever has stabbed me in the abdomen.

"FOOKIN HELL!!" he shouts, in front of his four year old girl.

3 days in hospital follow. Thanks go out to Burnley A&E. I'll miss you.

radoggair
    Free Member

Getting my Rockshox MAg21's fitted. Love happened that day

My mum phoning the police after a day out with the club guys from 8am till 10pm just training and mincing in Edinburgh. Happy days
    AN hour after learning how to use SPD's 😀
    USing XTR for the first time when DX was as good as i had used
    My first race
    My second race
    Recently, everyday on the bike since i'm on it everyday after realising i get depressed if i know i might not be on it for a day

sharki
    Free Member

bikes, mates, titting about…..Dirt styleeee.

riding in good company = winner! requardless of the place/conditions…

samuri
    Free Member

Crossing the finish line to shake hands with a big fat bloke after spending 24 hours riding a bike, extremely emotional.

Crossing the finish line after completing the 3 peaks, another emotional moment.

I had a few near wins as a youngster in local road races which were quite fun, especially since I insisted in riding in cut off jeans and a t-shirt on a cheap crappy pig-iron raleigh. Got gobbed on a bit in those days.

Finishing a 200+ mile day ride. I got home, saw my wife talking to a neighbour and went over and told them I'd just ridden 200 miles.
    "Very nice dear, there's some dishes that need washing."

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Last Wednesday night when I went out for a short ride on my own even though I didn't feel 100% up for it, went on the other side of the Goyt valley where I hadn't been before despite it being 20 minutes ride away and found the most wonderful technical paths with views to die for in the glorious evening sunset and realizing that now my favorite location for mountain biking had doubled in size!

nosemineb
    Free Member

Another 3 peaks moment, the final decent of Pennygent last year after catching my mate at the top to race 1 on 1 all the way down.
    Beating him by the bottom and getting a pb on the way.

ski
    Free Member

just ridden 200 miles.
    "Very nice dear, there's some dishes that need washing."

I feel your pain 😉

For me it was a simple one, completing a 2 mile section of local trail without putting my foot down, took me 8 years to do, my Mrs was also suitably impressed 😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

my birthday ride last year with a mate up at Haldon, we rode all the cheeky stuff & then for the first time I really pinned it warp speed styli down St Andrews Lane – great day, great company & great memory 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Lots of candidates, but it'd have to be the time, about 15 years ago now, that me and a mate were riding along a road link section and got flashed by an attractive young lady.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

perhaps I shouldn't lower the tone of the thread by mentioning mid-ride sex ?

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, thanks Simon you've just reminded me of one 😉

Others – big ride with Mountain Bike Pro magazine's Tim Woodcock and my mate Matt.

Last year's Bonty 24-12 night lap

Last week in the Alps. It's big.

Loads more! Mountain biking is great 🙂

AlasdairMc

The part of a climb where it stops being a climb and starts being a descent.

Riding for a full day in the hills and realising you've not seen anyone since you set off.

Riding in awful weather, where your spirit has been truly crushed, and spying your destination through the rain/mist/snow.

The first time you manage to clear a particular climb having been defeated by it for months previously.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite cycling experiences.’ is closed to new replies.