Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Yoga / Pilates / Tai chi
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve now tried all 3…being a cyclist of a certain age I feel I need to look after the parts of my body it ignores/imbalances.

They all seem to have the same aims. I liked the grace of Yoga (Astanga) and TC (Daoist) and the fact there seemed to be something to aim for (perfect movement), Tai Chi did seem a bit beardy while Yoga maybe more youthful & accomodates the competitive, Pilates seems to be moving around while pretending to hold in a pee.

Any thoughts/benefits/random flaming/alternatives?

jimjam
    Free Member

How old?

cynic-al
    Free Member

jimjam
    Free Member

Since you said

maybe more youthful & accomodates the competitive…..alternatives?

I’ll say Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If you are looking for something physical, with a slight holistic aspect, a degree of competition and a workout that will reach the parts cycling can’t give it a go.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I CBA with anything that’s like a workout – I run and ride and sometimes swim.

bearnecessities

46 is young for a big glitter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

BJJ are you taking the piss?

Its fine if you want to hurt like hell the next day from being pinned, locked, grappled and forcing yourself out of holds oh and being thrown around

I think those three are the only ones for “gentle” movement type stuff.

jimjam
    Free Member

I CBA with anything that’s like a workout – I run and ride and sometimes swim.

Fair enough, it’s definitely a workout. As in, vomit inducing.

Junkyard – lazarus

BJJ are you taking the piss?

Its fine if you want to hurt like hell the next day from being pinned, locked, grappled and forcing yourself out of holds oh and being thrown around

For a week or two, like any new sport, but after that only if you’re rolling with assholes.

CountZero

Tai Chi did seem a bit beardy

Eh?
    Have you ever watched film from China? Hardly a ‘beardy’ passtime over there! And I’d consider yoga to have much more of that sort of thing about it.
    Fwiw I did Tai chi for a while, until the class closed, and I really enjoyed it. It is a martial art, and not in any way competitive, although I’m struggling to think of yoga as having a competitive aspect, tbh.
    If there was a local tai chi class available, I’d think about going again, it might help with certain old muscle/joint injuries the are now haunting me. 😐
    Especially after slipping on ice this morning and slamming an old knee injury into the edge of a breeze-block path edging. 🙁

eruptron
    Free Member

Pilates for me. Definately helped with my lower back problems. Tucking up the floor and sucking in the core will get a smile out of me every time. Yes I have the mental age that is 12 😆

Northwind

My bro’s full of enthusiasm for pilates, I just find it dull in all honesty…

Tai chi can take a load of different forms, I’ve done a bit of 3 different styles but it was the wu/wudang style I got most into- maybe it was the tuition as much as the style but it’s so much more physical, especially if you do any swordform, pushing hands etc. Some very respected teachers at Five Winds in/around Edinburgh, Mark taught me a lot… And not at all beardy.

(I did a few old-ladies-tai-chi sessions in the yang style and it was too handwavey for me, but the instructor got me to run through as much of the form as I could remember in the Wu style then said “Right ladies- who still doubts that tai chi’s a martial art?”)

sc-xc

I have been doing tai chi for just over a year. We do Sun and Yang style, I find it really relaxing.

Qi Gong for warm up and cool down.

It’s a great antidote to all the energetic stuff.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thank you pilates for sorting my bad back

Sandwich

A well equipped Pilates studio has machines as well as using the floor. They are instruments of torture.

edward2000
    Free Member

What Sandwich says. You haven’t done Pilates until you begin to beg for mercy.

jond
    Free Member

The clue is having the right instructor..IME yoga focusses on flexibility, whereas pilates is core strength with flexibility – plus our Pilates instructor mixes it up and is a bit of a taskmaster. If you find it’s too easy either you’re not doing it correctly or you need a different instructor. The handful of yoga sessions I’ve done with a few instructors, in the 15(?) I’ve being doing pilates have been stretchy but not exactly taxing…ymmv.

Bear in mind pilates was devised as a rehabilation method – a good proportion of the class I’m in arrived with, or have chronic, back problems.

kudos100
    Free Member

It depends what you want out of it. I found yoga could aggravate some of my injuries and it can be hard to find a good teacher. If you can find someone good it is a great practice.

Pilates is a good core workout, but I feel it is a bit limited and I found it boring. Also I feel that you can go to the gym and get a better workout that you would in a pilates class.

Tai chi doesn’t have the hot women and is not as much of a muscular workout, but in my experience is far superior as it focuses more on internal energy rather than muscles.

Tai Chi > Yoga > Pilates

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cynical if you think Yoga incorporates anything remotely to do with competitiveness you are missing the point entirely !

You may want to develop your practice and to improve your range of positions but it has nothing to do with competitiveness.

Captain_Sponge

It seems to me, there are many approaches to Yoga, some more full of mystical hoodo than others, I’ve been doing Iyengar for years and it’s helps me a heck of a lot, always worth sampling a few different types before any conclusions. I’m lucky I have an excellent instructor.
    YMMV.

cynic-al
    Free Member

When I said competitiveness I meant in improving and aiming for perfect form.

Ta all

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Yoga / Pilates / Tai chi’ is closed to new replies.