Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • yeti asr 5 vs asr sl?
  • andyfb78
    Free Member

Hi,

I used to have a yeti asr-sl before some scrote nicked it.

looking to replace it, should i look at the asr 5? is it any good as a xc bike? does it climb well?

i loved the asr-sl, having come from a 5-spot, but the asr 5 feels like it might be the magic in between?

any thoughts greatly appreciated.

thanks

Andy

ojom
    Free Member

They rock the hard stuff. Try one out and see what you think.

It’s a bike, it is as good as you make it. Have fun.

muppet4
    Free Member

I have just brought one and love it, managed to get mine to 25lbs and first couple of impressions are bang on.
    Advise to try the size, i am 5″11 and most riders advised a medium but when i tried one i just found it too small for me and what i want it to do.
    Overall 😆 :mrgreen:

andyfb78
    Free Member

yeah, i can’t see that i’m gonna be able to ride one before having to make the decision (insurance an all that).

hmmm 140 floats, or talas? hmmm?

hmmm

ojom
    Free Member

In that case, if you want one, and think it will work then do it and then book a holiday to have fun on it.

Get the cheaper fork and spend the remainder on beers on holiday. Pints of Win!

Leku
    Free Member

New bike.
    [/url]
    IMGP3550 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

Old bike.
    [/url]
    IMGP3382 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

Both are great bikes. The ASR was lighter and faster going up things. The 5 allows you to attempt much lager terrain and is faster going down. The travel on the 5 feels more ‘bottomless’. I would say the ASR is more of a racers bike whereas the 5 is more of an all round trail bike.
    Both are bloody excellent.

ojom
    Free Member

Leku – sorry to drift but could you get your pal to call me about that thing he was doing. I have not been contacted by his representative in Hamilton and wondering what stage things are at.

andyfb78
    Free Member

i am officially rubbish at makign these decisions, but it will either be the ASR-C 100mm jobla direct replacement for my SL, or the ASR-5C but I want to be able to hoon and climb too.

i don’t like squidgy bikes.. and I know the 100mm job is ace, but will the 5 be better????

nice dilemma to have i guess…

Stu_N

TBC – do you have, or can you get hold of, a demo ASR-5? (serious Q, not tyre-kicking – happy to go to email if you’d rather)

ojom
    Free Member

Email mode. Engage.

andyfb78
    Free Member

Thanks leku, but did you feel the 5 was, errr, slower generally?
    or do you prefer it? like ups as well as downs see…

hard to tell whether the review that all say it is a rocket are comparing it to ‘trail bikes’ or more xc bikes…

Leku
    Free Member

TBC – will do (Mr L won)

The ASR will take a hell of a beating – I took mine to Switchbacks (Sierra Nevada) twice and a trip to France.

It will depend if you want to go as fast as you can or if you want to get your wheels off the ground.

ojom
    Free Member

Cheers. That is good news. No feedback from the ‘people’ which i thought was odd.

Leku
    Free Member

I’ve emailed L. I’m sure he’ll explain.

bigjim

Advise to try the size, i am 5″11 and most riders advised a medium but when i tried one i just found it too small for me and what i want it to do

Are you on a Large? They are pretty long bikes for the frame size, have you got long arms or back? Just curious as I’m 6’4″ and about to buy a Large, once I decide on colour…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Total hijack here (hangs head in shame)- but I’ve got Leku’s old ASR-SL above that I’m thinking of selling. My main bike got replaced under warranty so I’m thinking (actually missus is telling me) of selling it. Its a small.

Anyway unbiased stuff: small is up to 5’9 I’d say. They do seem kinda long. Unreally light – under 2kg. I love it – its proper well made – and it does feel proper “racey”. If I could afford another – I would. But I cant.

Leku
    Free Member

What!!

It had better go to a good home.

If you do sell it, I’m happy for you to pass on my email address if anyone wants to know about its history.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Cheers Leku! Appreciated.

I get the vibe that you REALLY love your new bike!

bigjim

couldashouldawoulda – I might be interested as my better half is thinking of a full susser, is that you ronan? (jim from wednesday night pentland/gt rides here)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

jim – yep its me. My email is in profile.

ryanw
    Free Member

Just a quicky on the sizing.

I’m 6ft, 32″ inside leg, long torso and arms. I went out for a full day on a 2012 575 in a large. Fitted spot on. Not too out-stretched at all, unlike the Orange 5 Pro (large) I went out on, which felt like jumping on a horse!

If I were 6’4ft, I’d go for a large with a long stem, or an XL with a medium stem.

Superficial
    Free Member

The sizing is a bit weird, and you’ll hear a lot of differing opinions. My ASR-5a is a medium, and I’m 6′ with two 34″ legs. I’m happy with it, and it’s actually longer in the top tube + seat tube than my previous frame (a large commencal meta 5.5).

I test-rode a medium, and never got the chance to try a large. I don’t have any regrets with medium but I’d be curious to see what a large is like. The top tube is over an inch longer than the medium which makes me think it’d feel like a barge compared to mine.

I don’t know the answer to your question. To me the ASR-5 feels like a short travel (ish) trail bike with sorted geometry, plus it’s really stiff (even the alloy). How it compares to a 100mm XC race bike I don’t know, but at a guess I suspect the 5 is a more fun ride, at the expense of a bit of hill-climbing prowess.

ryanw
    Free Member

Superficial – I guess that’s where we differ. You have long legs and a shorter torso than I, so I guess my reachover is a good few inches bigger than yours, hence the large fitting me like a treat.

The medium ASR-5 I had a go on felt a little too compact for me, and I’m more of an XC rider than AM (where I’d probably have gone for the medium for chuckability)…

I’m just about to pay out a serious amount of money for my ASR-5C XX build… Can’t bloody wait! 🙂

muppet4
    Free Member

bigjim- yeah i am on a large and 100mm stem! works for me and i can chuck it about still however it is built for more enduro xc stuff.

scruzer
    Free Member

Something like this then…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘yeti asr 5 vs asr sl?’ is closed to new replies.