Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Yeti 575 vs Turner 5spot dw
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I am looking to upgrade my frame in the next year or so and am beginning to look now. I have basically narrowed it down to either the yeti with its single pivot of the turner. I have got a ironhorse mk3 at the moment which had the dw link and i find it really good at going up with it minimising the pedal bob (without any lockout).
    I was just wanting to here your guys opinions on the subject as i am sure there are a few people that have ridden these bikes so please let me know. I am open to other options to as i am not set on these 2 bikes but am looking for something which isn’t seen all the time at the trail centres etc.
    Cheers

Hadge
    Free Member

but am looking for something which isn’t seen all the time at the trail centres etc.

I’m sorry but you will see an awful lot of these at trail centres as they are popular bikes with the trail centre crowd. I had an 08 575 and really liked it although they do measure up big for their size and I had a medium but could have easily got away with a small. I’ve only had a very brief ride on a DW Link Turner as I own a HL 5 Spot but I was impressed with the ride from what I could tell and how the suspension action worked. For that sort of money I’d definitely consider the Ibis Mojo SL which is a very nice ride indeed and I liked a lot. Our shop has shipped shed loads of SL’s out this year and not many 575’s as for pound for pound there’s a lot going on with the Ibis compared to both the Yeti and Turner. If your in the Midlands (Staffordshire) come over to our shop and try a demo bike.

Highland28
    Free Member

Cheers mate. Yeah i know they aren’t the most rare bikes but what i mean is not as popular as say the Santa cruz blur or spesh enduro etc. I was looking at the ibis but it was the full carbon frame which sort of put me off just incase i do end up dropping it. But i suppose that it would mean that it would be stiffer and a bit lighter and they are very nice bikes. I would love to pop in for a test ride of any of these bikes but unfortunately i am in Edinburgh at the moment and rarely cross the border. i am from the highlands so am more likely to be heading further north.
    Cheers

Hadge
    Free Member

I’ve spoke about the “damage” aspect of a full carbon frame to my friends and it is something you must consider, especially when you come to sell it later on. I rode my 575 like a prat at first as I was so scared of doing any damage but they are there to be enjoyed so if shit happens it happens. The Ibis is amazingly quiet and sounds like a normal alloy bike plus they can be built up in to quite a light build as well although my 575 came in just under 25lb with no OTT stuff on it. I guess the Intense Tracer is another to consider but I’d definitely try ride them all and see what you think. There’s not a lot to choose between any of them being honest as they will all perform very very well. Maybe long-term performance is something to be considered in which caase the Turners have always done well – hence why I’m on my second 5 Spot.

uplink
    Free Member

Damage to property outside of the house?

That’s what M&S household insurance is for 🙂

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeah that is very true. I would just be transferring the kit off my bike at the moment which include fox 32 vanilla, hope pro 2 on mavic ex721 and slx/xt bits. My bike at the mo is 33lb which s a lot so all i am aiming for is to get around 28-30lb which would be nice. Nothing too extreme. the only thing that has put me off the tracer id that my uncle has just bought one and so i obviously wouldn’t want to be riding around on the same bike as him. I will look out for some demo days and pop into some local bike shops and see if they have any of them to demo.
    Cheers

DezB
    Free Member

Turner a little more burly than the 575 maybe?
    As said though, both great bikes, so test ride if poss, if not choose by which one you like the look of most!

doof_doof
    Free Member

I went from a 575 to a Turner, the Turner is head and shoulders better than the 575.
    The bush system and warantee sweeten the deal even further.

Gary_C

From experience:

Dealing with Yeti on a warranty issue = Crap…lots of hassle.

Dealing with Turner on a warranty issue = Superb..

No further comment.

Highland28
    Free Member

Ok cheers guys. I do like the look of the yeti however I always prefer the dw suspension design and that is the reason i got my Ironhorse. I think i am deffo swinging towards the turner but i am going to try and get a ride on a few ikes i think.
    Cheers

nacho
    Free Member

For what it’s worth my mate just put a hole in his carbon mojo in Spain, (well a rock did) it’s put me right off ever having a carbon bike (my heckler ate it all up)

vinnyeh

For what it’s worth my mate just put a hole in his carbon mojo in Spain, (well a rock did) it’s put me right off ever having a carbon bike (my heckler ate it all up)

Wheraebouts in the frame? FWIW, Ibis tell us that no one’s holed a downtube. I’d like to see a photo to see the damage.

nacho
    Free Member

Damage was at the bottom of down tube on the underside of the frame. Must have hit a sharp rock, he’s got it covered on contents insurance so is happy as he’s getting a replacement frame

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

The Yeti carbon rear is rubbish mine snapped and the bike had not had a hard time, Yeti customer service as said before is awful, I now have a 575 frame that Yeti want nearly £450 for a replacement rear but I dont want a carbon rear and they have stopped supplying the ally version, so I cannot do anything with the frame!

I am now looking elsewhere and would never buy a Yeti again, think I am going to buy an intense.

Nick

Highland28
    Free Member

That is interesting mate cheers, I think i am definitely swaying towards the turner. I think i am going to start looking out for one that is cheaper than rrp.
    Cheers guys

uplink
    Free Member

My 3 yr old Yeti’s swingarm had a failure where the carbon joins the alloy

I took the arm in last Friday & got a call today to say a new one was in transit to me

Hadge
    Free Member

We had a customer bring in a carbon rear stay off his 575 and that was replaced no problem at all. I’ve no idea as to why some shops get dealt with immediately and some take for ages – maybe you should ask them or even try speak to the rep as he may know. I know our Yeti rep and he’s always very very helpful so maybe that’s why.

Coasting
    Free Member

Carbon rears on the Yeti are rubbish.Ive cracked one and i have a friend thats done two.Have a look around the net and there are plenty of these stories.Im surprised anyone buys them anymore.I think its a disgrace producing such rubbish

uplink
    Free Member

1st time mines gone to be fair & it’s had 3 years of hard work

They’ve turned it around in a week & it’s still it’s warrantied for another 2 years yet – can’t really complain

Frankers
    Free Member

I’d go for the Turner…

As above customer service is as good as it gets, i snapped a rocker arm on my 5 year old Flux, quick email to Greg@Turner and he sent me a pair or rockers FOC. I would have been more than happy to have paid for them.

toons
    Free Member

That is interesting mate cheers, I think i am definitely swaying towards the turner. I think i am going to start looking out for one that is cheaper than rrp.

I’m selling my 09 DW 5 spot end of October; it’ll be in the classified, keep an eye out.

Highland28
    Free Member

Will do mate. What sort of price you looking to get for it, what condition, colour and if you don’t mind me asking why are you selling?
    Cheers

toons
    Free Member

Email me for details, address in my profile.

I’ve ordered the 2011 5 Spot 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 575 vs Turner 5spot dw’ is closed to new replies.