Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Yeti 5 options
  • daveb
    Free Member

I am looking at selling my Heckler and getting a Yeti ASR 575 (not sure whether to get the carbon or Alu one, dont think I can justify the extra £500). I noticed that while the ASR has 140mm shock the head angle quoted is with a 120mm fork. Is it best with a 120mm or is it all ok with a 140mm fork.

Also, difference on the climbs and descents between the 575 and ASR 575? I noticed a weight difference in them but geometry seems about the same.

I will mainly be using this for natural XC, and some trail centres such as Innerleithen XC, Golspie, Laggan etc. I have a 100mm FS that I will use for “easier” trails.

I am currently just looking at these frames, not interested in lapierre as its full bike only.

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

ASR 575? Is there such a bike?

alfabus
    Free Member

575’s full name is ASR 575.

OP, do you mean ASR 5 (as in title), or ASR 575 (or indeed ASR 7)?

Dave

daveb
    Free Member

oops, my bad

I mean the ASR 5

😳

alfabus
    Free Member

asr5 is rated for up to 140mm fork, and is supposed to be very capable; but, if you have a 100mm FS, you’d probably be better off getting a 575 since it will be a bigger difference. 575 is slacker and best with a 150mm fork, but still climbs brilliantly.

Of course, you could get an asr5 with an adjustable fork (u-turn etc.) 120-140mm and get rid of your ‘easy trails’ 100mm FS, as the 5 would handle all your described needs.. but that doesn’t fit the STW n+1 model.

Dave

jpyeti
    Free Member

Just a bit of clarification: The ASR-5 with a 140mm fork is actually 1* slacker than a 575 with a 150mm fork (67* vs. 68*).

If you’re coming from a gravity background and like a little slacker bike, I’d go with the ASR-5/140mm. If you’re coming from a trail bike/xc background and want something with a little longer legs, go with the 575.

Hope this info helps,

John P.

alfabus
    Free Member

interesting; i didn’t know that 🙂

that actually makes my ‘single bike’ point even better. With an adjustable fork, the asr5 would be both racey short travel FS and slack mid travel hooligan FS with the flick of a switch.

In fact, I think I’ll get one!

Dave

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I did.

It’s been very good so far.

Daveb575
    Free Member

I bought a 5c in Jan this year and It’s been great so far. I run it with a fixed travel 120 fork, but even with that I have been genuinely surprised at just how capable it is. I have an old style 575 with a 150 fork and the 5 is laterally much stiffer and the fork pretty much defines the limits as far as I am concerned. Having said that, the latest 575 is an altogether burlier beast than the old one.

I don’t know where you are based, but the Biketree in Sheffield have a 5 as a demo bike and they did me a very good deal on mine.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

According to Evolution (importer) there are no more Medium alloy due for the next few months.

They have said they will share the upgrade cost, so that would be £250 difference between the alloy and carbon.

That must be tempting.

infidel
    Free Member

I’m toying with changing my 575 for a Heckler. Would you be interested in a possible frame swap?

daveb
    Free Member

What size / colour / year is your 575?

My Heckler is a large black with coil DHX spring.

infidel
    Free Member

medium 07 white rp23 but I think a large Heckler would be too big for me.

daveb
    Free Member

Yeah, and I am after a large 575. Thanks though

neninja
    Free Member

Bear in mind that Hecklers come up small and 575’s large for their frame size.

I tested both and found I would have needed a small 575 or a medium Heckler so a medium 575 is probably equivalent to a large heckler

infidel
    Free Member

Nenja – just came off the phone to santa cruz UK and they said just what you did!! so I could be up for a swap daveb if you’re interested? I’m 5’10 and think theres still room in the yeti for someone taller….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 5 options’ is closed to new replies.