Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Yahoo e-mail
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Really WTF have they done with it?
    Its unusable and just all over the place- you cannot even follow messages

Anyone know how to moan at them before swapping to something that works?

john_drummer
    Free Member

works ok for me

Drac

Anyone know how to moan at them before swapping to something that works?

Email?

deets

Agreed, they really have spannered it up…

grizedaleforest

There’s a facebook page, but you’ll have to join a very long queue! I didn’t like the last refresh they did of it a couple of years ago but eventually I got used to it. Guess I’ll get used to this too.

andytherocketeer

Really WTF have they done with it?

“user experience” is the new “productivity”

you’re not supposed to use it, you’re supposed to say “ooh look at the new look, I can swipe emails left and right like a flickr slideshow” when in starbucks.

Its unusable and just all over the place

yup.

I complained about the stupid infinite scrolling (useless with >100 emails in a folder), multitasking/tabs disappeared (that will not be reverted/fixed), folders are now hidden and if you filter email directly there you cannot even see new email unless you go looking for it (they wish to market the calendar/notepad etc. apps over email folders)

I complained about lots of other minor niggles too, just for good measure (eg fixed on US date format, the mouseover search icons that hide the email you’re trying to focus on, critical bug in search order that stops the whole thing working!, etc.)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its just a dogs dinner I replied to an e-mail and ending up sending it to myself
    I dont care that they have changed it I care that is unusable!

It appears if you go into settings – the single speed cog you can unclick enable conversations which cures the worst problem of it showing when you replied rather than just showing when they sent it

andy who did you mail?

andytherocketeer

PS you can go back every time you login, but it’s a faff…

method 1…
    Login, go to settings, choose Basic Mail, Save.
    Let it refresh, and you get the 1996 style interface.
    Click back button in the browser, and you should get the previous version with tabs and visible folders

method 2…
    Login, edit the URL in the URL bar to change “launch” to “search”, then hit enter.
    You should get previous version back. Just cancel the search tab.

neither method is persistent though so you’ll need to do it every time.

andytherocketeer

@Junkyard
    I have a friend who works for yahoo inc. 😉

I also left feedback on the official feedback thingy (bottom icon under folders etc. I think). But that’s a load of excrement too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Don’t use the actual website, I’ve not seen it for years. I access all my yahoo mails via the Apple mail application, and via Outlook before that.

piemonster

Same as wobbli here, might go and have a gander.

piemonster

Yep, bit pants

andytherocketeer

Will be doing the same from now on. Decent IMAP client (which I hope works with the folders, unlike POP3), and the Android app for occasional use (that also broke in a fatal manner on 2 versions when they put the stupid “conversation” view live, but they fixed it a day later).

edit: and at the point where everyone is migrating to “the cloud”, this ballsup has made me realise NO! I want control of my data, so will be reducing dependency on Yahoo et al.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It’s better this week than last. The webmail last week was bloodyawful!
    Their Android app took about 4 updates before it worked properly this month.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ok tried to leave feedback but they are experiencing technical difficulties and it wont even open!!!
    Gutted as I just need to finalise the details and I will have a 5 foot penis and £ 6 .3 million US dollars from my friend in Africa

andytherocketeer

Oh?
    My email I couldn’t access was for a 5ft penis and an upgrade to a double-G cup. And $10M from my African 4th cousin twice removed.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t use the actual website, I’ve not seen it for years. I access all my yahoo mails via the Apple mail application, and via Outlook before that.

Do you pay for Yahoo mail? I tried to transition all mine over to Gmail when I was forced onto the new interface, but it appears you have to pay to get POP3 access. Do they allow IMAP access for free? Gmail won’t access other accounts with IMAP, but I could always set up Thunderbird to do so I guess.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

missus is having the same issues, trying to get her over onto Gmail but it seems like it’s harder to change your e-mail than anything else.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve been using the “search” version for a week or two that andyrocket mentions above.

The new yahoo mail is horrible. I rely on tabs. I don’t give a rats ass about themes, I just want my email to work. If they force the new one on me, I’ll jump ship. I don’t know to what; I’ve been on Yahoo since the late 90s I think…

Edit – I wonder if the Yahoo email folks did any of the work on that new Obamacare website that works so well.

D0NK

Total shite! The previous tabbed version seemed a pain to begin with but I quite liked it after a bit of a play, that only lasted about 6months I think, new one I hate.

andytherocketeer

POP3 is free (tried it the other day, from gmail, which seems to already know the Yahoo pop3 settings)

IMAP is also free now afaik (but I haven’t tried that yet)

Does seem daft that you need to make a positive action to look in folders for new email, but just have to leave the mouse pointer in bottom left to get a mouseover activated full window poncy theme chooser. Nice to see where the priorities lie 😉

aracer
    Free Member

POP3 is free (tried it the other day, from gmail, which seems to already know the Yahoo pop3 settings)

Ooh, so it does – I’m sure I was doing it all correctly last time I tried (which was only a few weeks ago when I was first forced to use the new interface). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Mail#Free_version suggests it’s a very recent change.

Goodbye to Yahoo webmail then – have been using that since May 13, 2002 apparently, and whilst I’ll miss the old version, and even the change before this I won’t be shedding any tears for the current mess. Gmail is just so much more user friendly (to be honest I’ve been phasing out use of my yahoo address for a while anyway).

z1ppy

Annoying but gmail did something similar the other week too.. both have option to turn the interface back to a “basic” look.. which works for both my partner (yahoo) and I (yahoo & gmail), also they have stayed set to basic, unlike AndyTR above (v strange)

aracer
    Free Member

…have just closed my yahoo mail tab, which has been a constant in my window since I’ve had tabbed browsing (which is also a long time). Very strange.

andytherocketeer

I just hope that POP3 or IMAP access counts as logging in, since apparently they’re also closing dormant accounts and returning unused email addresses to the pool of new usable addresses.

I would assume that there would be plenty of warning before that happens though. Although, sites like ebay only give a 30 day dormant account warning (all of mine have been nuked).

Dunno about others, but my Yahoo mail account has existed for almost a decade more than gmail. Almost impossible to safely defect/flounce entirely. So even though I use gmail too, i’ll have to keep a near dormant Yahoo mail for many more years to come.

z1ppy

TBH I have a couple of yahoo account I setup in 1996 & now use only for spam. My issue is now, yahoo has made there password policy so stupid I can’t remember the fricken password I create, so have to reset them everytime I check (once every 3 months, to keep them alive)

aracer
    Free Member

Dunno about others, but my Yahoo mail account has existed for almost a decade more than gmail.

That would be impossible in general – and for me specifically as Yahoo mail apparently only started in ’97, and the first message in my gmail inbox reads “First off, welcome. And thanks for agreeing to help us test Gmail.” from September 2004. Though I’m surprised to see it was still in beta for quite a long time after that. Despite getting gmail fairly soon after yahoo I used yahoo as my primary for a very long time.

andytherocketeer

my yahoo a/c goes back to ca. 1997, and must have been one of the earliest yahoo mail users.

my gmail reg. date was feb 2007 – still even have the welcome email! I know i didn’t get in early in that period where it was for limited number of users (invite only?), and probably didn’t do so because yahoo/hotmail were already the established webmail services at that time.

z1ppy

opps musta been 97 mine was setup… I started working in IT in 96, need an email addy so signed up to yahoo.. just checking my old accounts, I don’t have any email in them pre 2001… what happened there then.

JoeG
    Free Member

Now the “search” trick above results in the new crap version as well! 😡

Any suggestions for another email? I can’t stand gmail btw…

andytherocketeer

I’ve been doing the “select basic mail trick” mostly recently. Sometimes it gets you the July-ish version, sometimes the really old style really basic version. If you get the latter, hit the browser back button. Bit of faff, but least I can glance and see what’s new in folders.

The July-ish version is still being updated. It’s got some of the new version’s search features (not bad), and the left/right swipe for next/previous message (bad).

No idea how long the workaround will work for, but when I used IE8 it was taking me straight to that July version, not the (c**p) newset version.

Fixed the infinite scrolling nonsense by making sure inbox and folders never have more than 100 emails. That way if it doesn’t come up on the first “page” worth of 50, it’ll definitely come up when it loads the next bunch.

stealthcat

Anyone else been having trouble sending emails to yahoo addresses recently? I replied to an email from my dad this afternoon, and it bounced straight back claiming that the user does not have a yahoo account. Given that his email was sent at 15.13 and I replied at 16.16, I’m assuming there’s something wrong with their servers…

smokey_jo

Yahoo is playing nicely as IMAP with Thunnderbird on my laptop, K-9 Mail on my Nexus 7 and the iPhone mail app for me.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of missed mails to my yahoo account. Only realized when I’d nudge person asking for a response to get “didn’t you get my mail”

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, got the old version now. Also found in settings the thingy which saves new people automatically when I write to them, for some reason this had switched itself off when the new version appeared.

andytherocketeer

damn. that method’s not working either now.

just get the poncy stupid newest version with all the useful features removed.

oh well.

cya’ll over on gmail 😉

andytherocketeer

edit: and every time I try to go back to basic mail i get the poncy newest version too.

i’m outta here

RIP yahoo!

shermer75
    Free Member
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

Surprisinghly I prefer the new layout. I would tweak a few things here and there but it’s working for me. What doesn’t work so well is the Android email app. Despite my trying I can’t sync my contacts across to it from my pc based account. Should I delete and reinastall the app or should I do something else instead?

andytherocketeer

I could like the new layout more if they’d have the decency to show me my folders, and how much new mail is in them.

Instead it’s more important to show me links to Yahoo Calendar (that nobody uses), Yahoo Notepad (that nobody uses), Yahoo Messenger (I’ve heard of that one, so somemone might use that),…

don’t know abotu the Android app. I only use it to check occasionally, and don’t have or sync contacts (I turned that off or made sure it was off in options I think)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Yahoo e-mail’ is closed to new replies.