Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • XTR – Rear mech or shifter?
  • benz
    Free Member

So, if you had limited funds and could only have either an XTR shifter or XTR rear mech what would you go for?

Or is it really worth the premium over XT….?

For a 1 x 9 set up using SRAM 980 cassette – the 990 seemed to offer no advantages beyond coloured spider over the 980….

wwaswas

you get double shifts in both directiosn with XTR shifters.

I find XTR a bit crisper shifting on the levers than XT and there’s more adjustability on the bracket but it’s fairly marginal – I only have XTR ‘cos I got them cheap.

Do shifter not mech if you can only do one.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shifter – it’s where you’ll notice the biggest difference in gear change quality.

The premium over XT is pretty vast, so it’s your call. If it were me I’d stick with XT. I’ve fitted a set of XT shifters on my XC bike and I’m delighted with them.

980 cassette should be fine. It’s 20g heavier than a 990 I believe.

sssimon
    Free Member

shifter, that’s where the feel comes from and a rear mech is more likely to get broken.

speaker2animals

+1 with sssimon. The clever bit is in the shifter. I imagine the parts in the shifter as well are some pretty tiny pieces so to my mind money spent here will get most bang for buck (material quality/finish/longevity). As said mech is probably the most at risk item on a bike from accidents and also dirt ingress.

joao3v16
    Free Member

is it really worth the premium over XT….?

No.

If you must have some XTR, go for a shifter.

Although having had both over the years I can’t really see the point in XTR considering the performance of XT.

You get more performance gains from eating fewer pies.

Mister-P
    Free Member

But if you eat fewer pies AND have XTR you have a double performance gain.

Personally I run XTR shifters with XT mechs. The 9 speed XTR shifters are a league apart from the XT versions.

jimification
    Free Member

Shifter. Probably less weight difference but the double shifts are really handy and the bi-directional thing is really useful for braking and changing gear at the same time – you can shift up with your thumb 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Shifter fo sho.

nixie

As above. Both are good but the XTR shifter does have a nicer feel. I’ve got XT Shifter – Xt mech on one bike and XTR shifter – XT mech on the other. XTR feels much nicer and I miss the extra double release on the xt bike.

loum
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

or buy XTR and still eat pies 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

shifter 🙂

jeb

I run

XTR shifter

XT rear mech

absolutely sweet 🙂

-i my funds where down, i would run XT front and rear.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You lot do realise that you’re perilously close to 100% agreement on a topic for the first time in STW history, don’t you??

FWIW I agree. Shifter for definate.
    🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Scary isn’t it PP?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think we all need to award ourselves some sort of prize!

Superficial
    Free Member

Shifter. Unless it was that fancy new Shadow+ mech. I’d like to give that a go…

portlyone

XT Shifters?

curvature
    Free Member

If it is 10speed you are after give Swinnertons a call at Cannock Chase.

Got my XTR shifter for less than £60

FYI i run an XT rear mech and it all works great.

njee20
    Free Member

XTR mech?

PaulD
    Free Member

So, the shifter wins!

Only differences with the mechs are 20g and a better cartridge bearing guide pulley on XTR (but a BBB replacement pair is only £10 from Dotbike).

PaulD

benz
    Free Member

Can I get the prize if it is a matched set of XTR shifter and rear mech?

Seriously, appreciate it – will spend a bit more and go XTR for the shifter only.

njee20
    Free Member

To put the cat among the pigeons I would only do either if it didn’t come at the expense of something more worthwhile? Eg Mavic rims vs Stans or sommat.

benz
    Free Member

Bike is currently SS based on Kinesis Maxlight XC Pro2.

Current weight – using potentially inaccurate fishing scales is a smidge over 21lbs.

Move to geared will involve sticking a matching rear wheel to my front with is Hope Pro 2 hub with Mavic 717 rim. Still running tubes with NN RR combo.

So only ‘expense’ will really be added weight of mech and shifters, etc. Oh and a BBG drilled bash guard with jump stop to avoid any chain off issues.

I’m trying to get the best possible shift quality by investing appropriately.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Shifter

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oooh can I be contrary? I hve XTR mechs on a couyple of our bikes and they seem to make for better shifting even with lower shifters ( sram rocket / xt / thumbies

I think you get less slop in the pivots with XTR

Could be fooling myself of course and I do buy them secondhand

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t get a matching back wheel, get a Crest rim. Same price, better rim.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘XTR – Rear mech or shifter?’ is closed to new replies.