Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XTR M980 pedals or not?
  • H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

I know a few mags say these are worth the money but I would like any comments from anyone who has tried them please.

Wookster

Yep got a set typical xtr so really good. Also have the previous incarnation also great not sure if I can tell the difference though!

shredder
    Free Member

Not quite the same but I have had to return my 2 ride old M985’s as the seals would not seat properly (the one’s that sit within the gold nut) unsure of the actual part name.

Anyway im sure they will be sorted out and perhaps an exception but a little dissapointing.

All that said the pedals are superb in themselves.

Hope thats helpful in some way.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

I’m going to wait for the Deore pedals at the bottom of this page to come out in May:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011/03/new-2012-shimano-deore-and-slx/

Should be cheap…

bol

I’ve got the 980s and a well used set of 970s that they replaced. The new ones look nicer, but if I’m honest, the old ones clip in better.

I really rate them both. If you like spds and can justify the cash, go for it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

not sure if I can tell the difference though!

I find them a bit more supportive on the outside edge of my feet, when compared with my 970’s.

DaveRambo

I have a pair of 970s (2yrs old) and just bought some 980s (2mnths old)for the new bike.

Hard to say if they’re worth the money as I’ve not really owned either pair long enough – They are light, work well and the 970s have been trouble free.

I prefer to buy the best quality kit I can afford, so I don’t have to replace it as often – and I could afford these.

kimbers

is wait for the 35 quid depress versions myself

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Owned a set of XTR M980 SPDs and after 6 rides at the start of the year they really irritated my knees due to the lack of float compared to the clipless pedals I’d been using for the previous 16 years(!). I promptly sold the M980’s and got some Time ATAC XS Carbons and these are much more to my liking due to all the cleat movement they have.

In terms of function the M980’s were easier to clip into but the Time’s are much easier to unclip from. Both seem to provide the same level of support whilst clipped in, the Time’s are better in muddy conditions though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XTR M980 pedals or not?’ is closed to new replies.