Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • That's it – I've reached the end of my tether (rantette content)
  • cinnamon_girl

Pootling at Swinley Forest and, here we go again, got chased by a German Shepherd. Owner was sitting on a tree trunk. I shouted at him “get your dog under control please” and then dived into some singletrack.

Muppet owner says “Ollie” or whatever it’s name was. Just the one word. Dog returns and then reappears further along the trail. Muppet owner has no chance of calling him, even if he did get off his backside.

What does concern me is that dogs pick up on peoples fear. It was important that I showed none despite this being the only breed that I have experienced to be unpredictable.

I like dogs, I used to have one and, indeed, I used to work with dogs in boarding kennels. But these days I can completely understand why people don’t like them. Owners do not understand the concept of training and how it has to be ongoing and reinforced.

My ride consisted of thinking about this subject and how it needs to be addressed. So, as I have to purchase a permit, why shouldn’t dog owners have to do the same? I would be happy to have a visible number on my permit provided that dogs did too. In fact if the owners were challenged, they could show a permit.

Calming down now. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

No block capitals? Perfect grammar and punctuation? Good use of paragraphs and no stupidly long sentences?

-2/10

ditch_jockey

Just out of interest, what do you need a permit for?

allthepies
    Free Member

, what do you need a permit for?

Riding in Swinley.

tazzymtb

without a permit she can’t letch at long haired rock gods from the 70’s…..it’s the law apparently

cinnamon_girl

Crown Estate public liability insurance and maintenance.

Sorry RealMan. I’ll try better next time. 😳

RealMan
    Free Member

A badly drawn diagram done on ms paint would work wonders too.

cinnamon_girl

Lol at tazzy. 😆

tazzymtb

anything to make you smile c_g 😀

druidh
    Free Member

It’s all your fault.
    He was only being playful.
    You just don’t understand.
    My dog has a right to be anywhere.
    He was under control all of the time.
    He only wanted to sniff your leg.

Is that it just about covered?

CountZero

Pwn it with a pair of these:

jimmy

wear arm protectors as ‘bike armour’, let the dog come at you and hold up your arm for it bite the protector, then punch as hard as you can under its jaw to snap it. Self defence your honour.

sharki
    Free Member

I’d of killed it and eaten it, if i aint on a lead it’s a wild animal and therefore a free meal.

Also GS fur is alot better than mink, not so waterproof but that’s not the point of niche fashion.

nickf
    Free Member

It’s all your fault.
    He was only being playful.
    You just don’t understand.
    My dog has a right to be anywhere.
    He was under control all of the time.
    He only wanted to sniff your leg.

Druid(h), you’re being a little OTT here.

I can control my dogs; a one-word command is all I need for them to return to me. And if someone said I needed to have a licence to demonstrate that my dogs are at least reasonably responsive, or indeed to walk in a particular area, so be it. I’ve yet to have a single person fail to be charmed by my dogs (even my f-i-l, who used to be deeply scared of all canines), and have never had an incident of them chasing or bothering anyone. People tend to approach them rather than the other way round.

Most owners would report something similar. Unfortunately, it’s the 5% of thoughtless dog owners who cause the problems. Well, that and the 0.5% of total meatheads who all seem to have staff x which they then proceed to treat appallingly badly.

thejesmonddingo

I used to get this all the time when I ran.My favourite was a well dressed woman in a public park in Rotherham,with a large Rottweiler,whch was crapping on the chidren’s football pitch.As I approached,I shouted “Control your dog”,she replied “He won’t hurt you”,
    at this point he was growling and running towards me.I shouted “control your dog or I will,and the dog may suffer”,It got within 2 metres of me still snarling,I went into attack stance,and as I waited,shelept on the the dog which was trying to get after me.If you can’t control them,you shouldn’t have them.I was rather hoping it would get free.
    Ian

thejesmonddingo

Unfortunately, it’s the 50% of stupid dog owners who cause the problems. Well, that and the 0.5% of total meatheads who all seem to have staff x which they then proceed to treat appallingly badly.FTFY.
    Ian

ditch_jockey

I went into attack stance

Something like this?

Not surprising she was keen to get out of the area!

redthunder
    Free Member

Good job your not a sheep.

Riding home the other day and dog walker had 6 collies going mental [of the lead (s)]. No control whatsoever.. I didn’t even retort.

I feel for the people who have a fear of dogs they must be being getting serious cabin fever by now.

nickf
    Free Member

Jesmond, you have a problem with 50% of the dogs you meet? Honestly?

thejesmonddingo

No,my problem is with the 50% of dog owners who cannot control their dogs,and don’t appear to care what risk this poses to other people.
    Ian

MrsToast
    Free Member

C_G, carry dead badger decoys and throw them to distract the marauding canines!

nickf
    Free Member

Clearly all dogs are ludicrously dangerous, all owners are idiots and shooting them (all of them, owners as well) is the way forward.

redthunder
    Free Member

nickf YEAH. Thats a good start 😉

thejesmonddingo

It’s not the dogs per se that are dangerous,it’s idiots who can’t control them,but your solution is surprisingly realistic and straightforward for a dog owner,when can we start?
    Ian

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I ride through Ashton Court everyday, its a popular dog toilet. A handy shortcut for me slightly hampered by the amount of insane unpredictable canines milling around out of control. But then you’ve got to exercise your dog somewhere, and most dogs need to let off steam somewhere, so I’m content to leave them be provided they’re not actually sinking their teeth into my calf.

bassspine
    Free Member

chased by a dog off the lead and owner not doing anything?

why not carry a piece of string, attach to collar, take dog for nice long walkies, leave tied to gate 12 miles away from owner. viz top tips #238

Drac

See get your self back up here and not see a soul all day in the hills never mind a dog. 😀

thejesmonddingo
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I saw this, and thought ‘why would you need a pair of engineer’s squares to fend off a dog?’ 😳

redthunder
    Free Member

chased by a dog off the lead and owner not doing anything?

why not carry a piece of string, attach to collar, take dog for nice long walkies, leave tied to gate 12 miles away from owner. viz top tips #238

I’ve done that. But not accentually used string our anything. The owner called the dog as it snarling at my annkle {I bitched about a lead etc.} as usual it took no notice and chased me which became a follow considering I was egging it along after getting its name (Benji or something). After about a mile I left the dog on it’s todd (just for the worry wort dog owners it was still in sight of the owner, but they had a longer walk/run than normal in tell).

Ironically when returning at the end of the ride on the same route the same owner was out with the dog again. Seen me approaching and promptly put it on lead…when I passed I was called CHILDISH ;-)[and they were right ;-)] Mayby so, but they didn’t have to do another epic walk/run.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Passed a couple walking a dog along the canal the other day. Slowed right down to pass them, then having done so and exchanged pleasantries I started to accelerate. Suddenly another dog shoots out from the bushes right in front of my wheel. So accelerating hard, out the saddle, weight over the front, I jam the brakes on. Somersault with bike over the dog missing it completely.

To be fair they did come and apologies as I was lying in a heap on the towpath trying to untangle myself from my bike, but a word of warning about their other dog on the loose would have been more appreciated.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I doglicker
    I lick dog

julianwilson
    Free Member

I miss tandemjeremy a bit right now.

sharki
    Free Member

Plenty of snarling bitches off the lead on a usual night out in Bridgwater or Taunton.
    Most of them harmless strays, i blame Thatcher.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

If the dog’s not going back to it’s owner, encourage it to come along with you and keep riding? Owner might be a bit more attentive next time.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

http://www.dazer2.com/

group buy anyone?

Cubed
    Free Member

Prefer to tazer the owners really – way more fun. After all as the owners put it there just dogs.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

WTF is the Attack Stance!? 😆

timraven

Having been bitten a couple of times, I do get scared of dogs and hate it when I come across one off the lead.
    Love to be able to just shoot the things, irresponsible owners and irrational dogs.

emma82
    Free Member

I hate agro with dogs when we are riding, we got chased by 6 farm dogs a few months ago and I swear if I had the means too I’d have slaughtered the lot of them and left them on the effin road. Agree that there seem to be many more irresponsible dog owners out there nowadays. Think half of the problem is that dogs have become surrogate babies and not dogs which is just stupid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘That's it – I've reached the end of my tether (rantette content)’ is closed to new replies.