Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • XTR Front Mech – Why the **** won't it work?
  • slowboydickie

Right. I’m fitting a 10spd XTR F mech (and XTR shifter) on to a bike with a X0 double chainset. It won’t change up. I’ve check H/L screws and they are not making contact with the stopper. When I release the cable and manually push the mech it full extends and changes up with no problem but the range of movement of the mech when using the shifter does not seem to be sufficient to get the chain on the large chainring.

If I unscrew the barrel adjuster all the way it will just about get up, but that shouldn’t be necessary. I have fitted scores of front mechs so don’t get it. Could this happen if the mech is a 2 or 3mm too high? Is an XTR F mech not compatible with a SRAM doubt crankset?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. The wife will be home in an hour and that means I will have to clear the work stand and tools off the sofa and the hearth rug.

Cheers
    SBD

Conan257
    Free Member

Is the mech connected to a Shimano double shifter?

slowboydickie

Yep, the XTR switches between double and triple.

belugabob
    Free Member

You could have done the same as me – attached the cable when the shifter was in the middle position, rather than at an extreme. Which extreme will depend on whether the front mech is top normal or not.
    If you have done this, then you only have one click on the shifter before it reaches its limit, and you’ll be unable to shift onto the third ring.

trailflow
    Free Member

slowboydickie

Thanks for the suggestion but its a double and I checked that already. Its bound to be a dim wit obvious mistake just can’t spot it.

belugabob
    Free Member

With the cable disconnected, can you select all shifter positions?

trailflow
    Free Member

Top pull or bottom ? Have you routed the cable correctly?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Is the shifter switced to double position?

slowboydickie

Belugabob: yep
    trailflow: bottom pull, the cable routes through fine
    bigdugsbaws: yep

I bodged it by propping the mech halfway out (by wedging a pack of chewing gum between the mech and the frame) and fixing the cable with the mech in this new position. Seems to work fine though I suspect I shouldn’t have to do this.

Thanks for the support, I’ll ride it tomorrow and see how I get on.

belugabob
    Free Member

Not familiar with xtr mechs, but the last two front mechs that I fitted came with a spacer block that was used for the same purpose as your chewing gum, so you’re probably on the right track – as long as It’s sugar free 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘XTR Front Mech – Why the **** won't it work?’ is closed to new replies.