Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • XT Triple Crank, 22/36 Double – Which Bash?
  • Shandy
    Free Member

I've got a set of XT cranks which I am converting to 22/36. I was hoping to get away with an SLX bash off their double cranks, but the bash is fouling the 36t ring, interfering with the shifting, and rubbing the chain on the highest gears.

Has anyone else gone to 36t and a bashring on a set of XT cranks and what bashguard did you use?

Thanks

Andy

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You maybe havent set it up properly?

Shandy
    Free Member

Set up is perfect, switching out the bash for the original big ring completely eliminates all the problems.

If you look at a set of SLX doubles there is an offset to keep the bash clear of the 36t ring. The XTs are designed to be a triple so the offset isn't there. and the SLX bash isn't compatible with XT cranks. I could file the SLX but its brute ugly and I'd rather get something decent that works properly.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Tried that setup myself Andy and had the same issue so swapped it to a Gamut and Fannies your aunt

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you not space the SLX bash out with a few washers?

Shandy
    Free Member

Gamut sounds good, thanks!

Shandy
    Free Member

Peter, I could, but to be honest the SLX bash looks brutal on my nice XT cranks so I don't mind buying something else, I just want to make sure it fits without hassle.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Works a treat

chakaping
    Free Member

Those Shimano bashguards rarely seem to stay put, was it just wandering over into the chain?

Saying that the SLX bash worked fine on my XT (when it wasn't doing that), and so did the E13 supercharger (which could be renamed superheavy).

I'm probably going to buy a gamut if I keep the bike.

Shandy
    Free Member

Nice bike, really sorted build.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, fairy nuff, I've got a Truvative on the Deore cranks on my Pitch, which works fine and was only about £20.

And an alloy FSA on my SS cranks (LX) which isn't quite as chunky, that might fit the bill?

firestarter
    Free Member

i couldnt fit an fsa guard on an fsa crank lol the arms fouled it. so fitted a gamut and it works too . madness

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Like this, actually 🙂 –>

Pitch/Truvative

SS/FSA

Shandy
    Free Member

Chapaking if you look at the shape of the SLX, the honeycombed section on the inside of the bash is actually a couple of mils closer to the chainrings than the leading edge. Its a strange design and it only works because the SLX double cranks have a big hefty offset built into the spider to counter the thickness of the bash and keep it clear of the rings.

I had to file the inside of the SLX bash just to get it to fit the XT spider, I'm not going to start filing away the honeycomb around the whole diameter of the crank.

firestarter
    Free Member

actually the fsa that wouldnt fit my fsa crank fitted my xt on the other bike

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yes! Come across this problem before! A customer wanted the SLX cranks with bash because he kept stripping pedal threads out.Tried to convert to a normal triple ring and came up with all manner of problems! the SLX with bash is slightly different to the standard SLX crank and fitting a Shimano 32 tooth ring on it became a problem (maybe not so with a T.A or Stronglight ring?).Probably could be done with a slight modification! So i am guessing the bash is going to be a problem to fit on another Shimano crank? To help you out i fitted a E-Thiteen in white on my XT crank which looked very bling! Just recently switched to a titanium bash off a guy on this forum.Saved a fair bit of weight!
    Thanx Max

hugh_b
    Free Member

Sorry tobump upan old thread guys!

I'm having a similar problem to the OP but with a gamut p30 bashring on a set of xt m770 cranks running an slx 36t middle ring. Didn't have the problem with an e-13 bash!
    Basically the chain gets caught between the middle ring and the bash…this affects chainline and createslots of funny noises!

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking it may be the slx ring?

higgo
    Free Member

I use a Blackspire LiteGod 36T bash on XT cranks, although I think mine are the one before M770.

It works fine.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I've got one of these on mine

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40422

works great

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘XT Triple Crank, 22/36 Double – Which Bash?’ is closed to new replies.