Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XT SPD Bearings
  • swamp_boy

I got a pair of these just over a year ago, largely on the strength of good reviews. After fairly light use, say 20 miles a week average and regular cleaning etc., they are both getting loose on the spindles, especially the right hand side, which is starting to click annoyingly once each revolution [its not the crank touching the front mech, I checked that first and it does it at the wrong point in the revolution and happens in all three front rings].

I can't find any information about either adjusting the bearings or replacing them, just comments about them being "low maintenance".

Any advice appreciated. They are nice to use, but I don't buy into the disposable culture and will be highly pi55ed off it its the end of them.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Remove the pedal body, tighten the lock nut and come at the end of the spindle, pack with grease reassemble and you are good to go.

Look on Shimano tech docs for an expolded diagram.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Exploded view[/url]

swamp_boy

Many thanks, found it – that looks pretty straightforward, was a bit confused by the lack of an obvious nut or bolt head at the outboard end of the pedal. Looks like it doesn't need the expensive adjusting tool either [or a small socket through a box spanner]

swamp_boy

Sorted now, thanks for the advice guys. Nut 2 gets very tight pushing the sleeve back in to the pedal and you have to use an open end spanner, not helped by the corners being made rounded. Would be easier if the flare at the crank end of the spindle was small enough to get a ring spanner or deep drive hex socket over it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Been using a set of xt's for about a year with no problems. Before that I had a set of m540's which are identical bar the colour. No problems with them either.
    I tended to grease them up about twice a year. I've never had to adjust the bearings in either set. So I can only assume you've been unlucky.
    When new they dont tend to have a great amount of grease in there. So i've always added some more before using for the first time.

swamp_boy

It might sound like I'm complaining, but in fairness they are the best spd pedals I've used, I really like them. I didn't find a lot of grease inside either so did add more. I didn't pack them full, but there isn't much free space in there, I wonder if the difficulty getting the nut done up all the way is hydraulic lock.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I doubt it, the whole idea is you fill the pedal body with fresh grease and as you screw the axle assembly back in, the fresh grease is forced though the bearings, purging the old grease out the locking collar towards the crank end of the axle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XT SPD Bearings’ is closed to new replies.