Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • XT M756 problems
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I think I need to replace it but if there is anyway to tease some more life out of this hub I would like to know!

The CRC page say "fully serviceable cup and cone bearings" but I have had the thing apart and I can't see how the cups are "serviceable", does this just mean you can add more grease? My cups are trashed so not much point replacing the cones and balls if i will still have the same roughass cups.

Also the cassette is wobbling all over the place and it making me nervous about trashing the relatively new chain and cassette. I guess this is the freehub which needs replaced? If these anyway to maybe get tighten it if only for a short while?

As the rim is also buckled I am going to get a Hope Hoop but no-one has them in stock at the moment and I have some riding to do. Any ideas/experience?

rootes1

you are meant to be able to get cups, but don't you will find some…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Really?? do they knock out then? Even if i could get them out i could probably clean them up with emery paper (or at least substantially improve things).

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I've looked at that and the cups seem to be part of the hub body, I don't see how they are replaceable, am i missing something?

So no way of tightening up a freehub either then?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cups rough = bin
    Freehub rough / loose, check 10mm bolt that holds it onto the hub isnt loose (axle out job tho), if bolt tight, replace freehub.
    New hub / wheel time probably!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Cheers, Is that a 10mm allen bolt? I bet I don't have a 10mm allen key…

And yes it is new wheel time but I will be waiting for Hope Hoops Crests to come into stock and there is riding to be done!

bigyinn
    Free Member

It is, yes

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

thanks, and typically i don't have one. I guess I can at least see if it is loose.

rootes1

easy to get a new hub – i have xt 756 – only got them as i liked the look of the big flanges.

when they wear out, but to machine to take sealed cartridge bearings

Macavity
    Free Member

The "ENDURO V-Puller
    10mm-25mm ID Bearing Puller
    For light-duty bearing removal
    (hub bearings, etc.)."
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id61.html

Which is very similar to the tool that Suntour used to supply for their hubs. Can be used to knock out the old bearing cup if there is enough of a recess behind the cup to fit / locate into.
    It used to work for old Campagnolo hubs. But Shimano appear not to supply new cups.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I've never heard of replacing the cups on shimano hubs, mainly because you cant get behind them to shift them.

whyter

I can give you a shot of 10mm key if you're out tomorrow morning Mark? Drop me an email if you want.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Macavity, I don't think you can get new cup because they are part of the hub body, ie, they aren't replaceable.

Thanks Andrew, that would be useful. I'll have a quick look in the morning to see if it's loose but I am going to have to hope it holds together for the ride tomorrow, it's not exactly a trail side repair!

rootes1

I've never heard of replacing the cups on shimano hubs, mainly because you cant get behind them to shift them.

Macavity, I don't think you can get new cup because they are part of the hub body, ie, they aren't replaceable.

well no as the cups are steel where as the body is aluminium alloy. Older shimano, campag hubs you used to be able to take cups out and replace..

you can still buy campacg cups from SJS… but these days not likely to get any shimano ones for – which is a shame… so if they are naggered then new hub time.

replace ability is a benefit of cartridge bearings…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

well no as the cups are steel where as the body is aluminium alloy

ok, i'll have a closer look.

replace ability is a benefit of cartridge bearings

yep, got to be the way forward. Pro II coming soon…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘XT M756 problems’ is closed to new replies.