Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XT Hollowtech crankset probs
  • lammy
    Free Member

This prob may heve been posted before. Sorry

Stripped down last week as it was making horrible creaking noise. Non drive side bearings gritty and rattling so I took to LBS and got them to replace with Hope stainless BB. Went out today and still creaking like mad.
    Add that to my creaky seat rails and squeaky front brake and its driving me crazy!!!!
    Any words of wisdom?

coatesy
    Free Member

What bike? Some creak elsewhere but sound like the BB, check your rear skewer’s dead tight, we changed /tightened everything on one bike before swapping to a Shimano skewer and losing the creak.

lammy
    Free Member

Its on an ’08 Chameleon so it could be the EBB I suppose. Interesting about the skewer though. I’ve got a Hope one on there now, but I always make sure it’s tight.

The creak only happens under load ie up steep hills.

Onzadog
    Free Member

small parts on pedals? Chain ring bolts?

I once spent weeks chasing a creak on a mates bike. Turned out it was a metal furrel against his heckler swing arm.

Still, EBB would be one of my first ports of call. Generous amounts of copperslip I would say.

Reluctant
    Free Member

EBBs can make some awful noises and should always be the first suspect. Knock it out, clean it re-assemble with plenty good quality grease. Still, the bb sounds like it needed replacing anyway, so not money wasted.

lammy
    Free Member

Yeah I’m hoping to get a bit more life out of the Hope BB. The XT original lasted about 9-10 months which I suppose isn’t really that bad for UK riding.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XT Hollowtech crankset probs’ is closed to new replies.