Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XC worth riding in the New Forest?
  • private0ryan
    Free Member

Going bikepacking next week and plan on passing through the New Forest.
    I’ve read up a bit and there seems to be a lot of land access issues, but can anyone point me in the direction of any single track worth riding?

Thinking of diving in the youth hostel near Burley, and then heading up to Salisbury. If there are some really good parts i’m happy to detour 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Sheeet yeah..

It’s awesums, in a fast-spinny-gravelly-track kindof way. Follow your nose, or a map.

Good stuff near Ringwood.

mls678
    Free Member

Just got back from there yesterday. Was great and would thoroughly recommend it.

Suggest you pop into or give a call to Forest Leisure Cycling in Burley they’ve got all the routes on way marked cards that they sell for £1 each.

We did a 25 mile with a short pub stop in the middle and diverted into Lyndhurst.

It’s fairly flat mind but if you’re ok with this it’s great

Enjoy, Matt

scaredypants

It’s lovely scenery and a nice place for a bimble – which is exactly what you’ll get on the permitted gravel tracks

There’s better riding but it’s hard to find and link together but the place is about as dry as it’ll ever get, so the chances of being stuck in a big bog are minimal. If you’re good with a map, you could do worse than follow your nose as n_e_d suggests (though a lot of marked paths don’t really exist any more)

private0ryan
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips.
    As i’m staying in Burley it’d be rude not to give the LBS a visit.
    I’ve got a Garmin, a map and all day for exploring so i’ll try and track down some singletrack 🙂

bentandbroken

If you are staying in burley you could pedal along the old railway until you get to the Station tea rooms (nice cake!). Then you could head across the road and hook up with the cycle track that runs round the forest just to the South of Wilverley Plain. Just make sure you stay on the wide gravel Fireroads while on your bike

NB if you lock up you bikes you could walk some of the smaller tracks in Forrest bit. If you are not sure where to walk try logging on to the geocaching website and look for a series of caches in Wilverley Enclosure

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XC worth riding in the New Forest?’ is closed to new replies.