Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • XC World cup round..
  • GW
    Free Member

same drop, different race, no?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

it's a different ( or modified) drop, look at the number of vertical supports.

wwaswas

xc-steve – err, 'cos it wouldn't be mountain biking if they did?

I'm not saying they shouldn't have obstacles and they certainly shouldn't be riding roudn the edge of a lawn with some artificial humps on it like what cross racers do but cross country racing is really about speed over all else and my personal view is that if it gets to the point where drops are being inlcuded that would force the riders to 'bulk up' their bikes to cope then it's probably gone too far. The stuff in these pics isn't too bad (although I woudln't ride it) if it gets bigger then that's too far.

GW
    Free Member

I agree njee, IMO technical courses are what's needed to set XC racing apart from "CX in the woods", whether it's rocks, roots, steep chutes, jumps or drops or a combination of all of the above, something to challenge their riding skills rather than just fitness levels. by all means put in chicken lines to penalise those who choose not to ride these sections but I'd like to see them bring in time penalties for running a section when others can ride it, it's obstruction in my eyes. plus seeing XC racers pansying down stuff carrying/pushing/running after their bikes, just looks lame !

xc-steve
    Free Member

IMO it should be 50% horsepower and 50% bike handling skills… or something like that…

njee20
    Free Member

but I'd like to see them bring in time penalties for running a section when others can ride it

That's absolutely impossible to enforce, simple as that!

If it was like DH with riders going one at a time then you could maybe do it, but not a chance with 200+ riders at once.

So… first lap, 50 riders come into the first descent.

-Riders 1-30 get through cleanly,
    -rider 31 dabs but gets through,
    -rider 32, who is actually Steve Peat, crashes due to rider 31s ineptitude, he can't remount/it's not worth the time losses, so he runs down,
    -riders 33-40 run down, having been held up by Steve Peat,
    -riders 40-50 have waited at the top, then manage to ride down at the back of the group more slowly than those who ran

Who gets penalised, and by how much?

scotia
    Free Member

i was about to ask…GW…do you reckon you could do that section on your bike with all those other riders around you going for the same line?

or do you not realise that this changes things?

GW
    Free Member

Yeah, njee, I know, What I'd like and what's feasable are two entirely different things 8). what the designer did with that little section at champery is the way to do it, put in difficult sections but include an easier but much slower choice.
    I still think getting off infront of another rider to run is obstructive riding, if you are going to run a section shouldn't they at least get out the way first?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I like the fact that a cross rider did it on an HT with carbon rims and tubs 😀

boring courses are er boring! more of this kind of stuff might tempt be back…

GW
    Free Member

it's a different ( or modified) drop, look at the number of vertical supports.

is the tree to right not the same tree? note the same shaped missing section of bark (under the shimano tape in the WC race pic I posted)? the designer/builders would have done work on the supports before the WC same as they did with the DH as it all fell apart with the rain at the last Chapery WC in 07

scotia
    Free Member

???

and how do you do that with that number of people?

rider 50 at the back calls out "i can ride this get outta my way"

??

oh sorry riding god, you'd hop the group and on landing clear the root section…on your dh 'rig'

GW
    Free Member

Scotia – do you mean the steep section in the vid or the lil drop in the pic?

answer to both is yes!

<EDIT> what are all your ??? for?

someone crashes, you go round them, simple really
    a big pile up is different, but you can design a course fairly easily to string out the riders so there's less chance of big groups heading for the one line

scotia
    Free Member

in the video muppet

leggyblonde
    Free Member

so the drop is modified then GW. and the general consensus is that increasing the size is part of this mod.

either way, I think a lot of competent trail riders would struggle on those drops with their hearts at 170bpm on a sub 19lb saddle up race hardtail in the wet

clubber
    Free Member

You might well be right actually – I think it is the same location. the thing is though that in the first pics posted. there's a log forming the edge of the drop that isn't in your pic of Absolon airing it so it's higher in the earlier pics.

No log

Log (the rider's pretty much sitting on it)

It's clearly been built up and strenthened to make it into more of a drop off plus by the looks of it, the landing area has had rocks buried in it to make it more robust.

nickegg
    Free Member

Evening all,

Just got back from Champerythis afternoon! That drop was 3ft MAX and frankly it was pathetic how many riders choose to walk it!!! The riders might be fit but many clearly aren't all that skilled!

GW
    Free Member

scotia – I wouldn't have had to ask if you'd been able to word your original question clearly in the first place. 🙄
    correct use of punctuation could have also helped your failed attempt at calling me a names (rather than randomly inventing a new Jim Henson character).

njee20
    Free Member

I assume you borrowed one of their bikes and showed them how to do it then?! Repeatedly of course, at a similar intensity.

GW
    Free Member

nickegg – Member
    Evening all,

Just got back from Champerythis afternoon! That drop was 3ft MAX and frankly it was pathetic how many riders choose to walk it!!! The riders might be fit but many clearly aren't all that skilled!

at last.. a GOOD EGG!!! 😆

njee – what intensity do you think DH racers ride at?
    would you say higher or lower than the intensity XC racers descend at?

richhh
    Free Member

How many people here have actually raced XC races and won?

GW
    Free Member

how many people here have raced XC and actually ridden the entire course? 😉

richhh
    Free Member

Probably a lot.

Check out some of the SXC stuff to see people that can climb silly fast then make you feel bad about your descending ability.

nickegg
    Free Member

I was expecting more skill from the worlds best riders TBH. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic….and no i didn't show them how to do it, that would have been very embrassing for the riders 😀

I was sat next to the Merida team at dinner last night and the drops on the course were certainly a talking point, which must be a good thing surely. If they have to ride technical climbs, why not put in technical descents?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘XC World cup round..’ is closed to new replies.