Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • xc / race full-sus frame ideas
  • richmtb

Hey Folks,

I’m trying to get my hands on 100mm travel racy full-sus frame. Something that in a fairly sensible build would hit the 25lb mark

Other than the obvious candidates – Superlights, Anthems and Epics is there anything else that fits this category that I might have overlooked that would make a good S/H buy.

Ta

Oh And I’m looking for a medium if anyone has something 😉

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Scott spark ?

sambob
    Free Member

New Canyon?

richmtb

Scott spark

Yeah hadn’t though of that, despite being passed by about ten of them at Glentress 7!

njee20
    Free Member

The 2012 Spark looks awesome!

Trek Top Fuel? Love mine.

mrmo
    Free Member

P1000994 by mr_mo12, on Flickr

What you see is 25lbs.

amt27
    Free Member

Wow

mcboo
    Free Member

Look at the Canyon Nerve MR

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2147

….but buying frame only from them makes no sense. For £100 more you get the full XTR/XT bike….go figure. Lot of bike for £1200.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2069

makkag
    Free Member

cube AMS ?? its what i am hunting for !

compositepro
    Free Member

Felt edict

molgrips
    Free Member

Love my Heihei, dunno if it’s available frame only tho.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

that scott looks ace! i must be coming down with something…

convert

Looking at this a few months ago I tried out a Spark and an Epic and loved them both in different ways. The spark felt great in most situations provided you could be bothered to be quite active with the lever. The epic felt quite like a slightly more capable hardtail but quite harsh. If the suspension was set to permanently active if felt more capable for rougher routes but not too efficient.

In the end I went for a Turner Flux. I’m in a lucky position as I had the funds to keep some of the more gnarr (and heavy) kit off my previous 5spot whilst also buying it some lighter kit. Consequently it does a very nice 24lb xc bike with SIDs, light wheels & tyres & flat bar. In 15mins with some allen keys it also works well with a uturn pike fork, flow wheels with bigger tyres, a dropper post and riser bar/sorter stem @ 29.5lbs.

If I hadn’t wanted this flexibility from a single bike and wanted something proper racy I’d have gone for either of the epic or the spark.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Commencal super 4 is what I looked at when considering this

z1ppy

‘old’ style Marin Mount visions (06), 4 bar suspension, light as buggery and so fecken cheap as chips now.
    (East peak/rift zone are the same frame, differing shocks)

Superlights are lovely, fast as **** with 100mm up front, & quite cheap 2nd hand but the name doesn’t exactly hold ‘true’ nowadays (though they aren’t exactly lardy either).

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Cannondale Scalpel? I’ve only ridden the older 63mm travel version but it’s a flyer!

cam1275
    Free Member

turner flux?? i have a 2006 5 spot and if the flux rides anything like mine it will be one of the best bikes you will ever ride!

onandon
    Free Member

I have a Merida 96 carbon built up @ a tad over 20 lbs.
    100mm front and rear travel and very controlled.
    it may not be a boutique brand but it’s a bloody good frame.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius RC maybe

RoterStern
    Free Member

These always seem to get very good reviews and they are reasonably priced too.

njee20
    Free Member

Disappointingly heavy though, if that matters.

transapp
    Free Member

yep, quite heavy (I really need to weigh my X1 – hope hoops, XT, revelation 100-130 front fork with reasonable other bits) as it feels damn heavy next to my main riding buddies Charge Titanium… Mind you, it’s lighter than a friends P7 and he’s consistantly faster than me on straight, flat out power sections….

Anywho, it’s still a great bike

Waht about a Pronghorn thingy with the shock that looks like it’ll snap your balls off?
    http://mtobikes.com/wp-content/pronghorn-mountain-bike-2.jpg

richmtb

Bargain?

Looks very good for the money?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’d go for Cannondale Scalpel or one of the Merida’s, or a Focus.

dickie
    Free Member

The Canyon Lux MR looks nice as an alternative to the Nerve.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new carbon Yeti ASR frame for sale, medium, with a couple of spare mech hangers and other bits and bobs. Intrgated seatpost is uncut, can be trimmed to your length or cut off completly and a conventional post inserted if you don’t like it.
    RRP is £2500, looking for £1600 posted.
    (New sponsor has provided new bike)
    andy_howett at yahoo.co.uk

njee20
    Free Member

yep, quite heavy (I really need to weigh my X1 – hope hoops, XT, revelation 100-130 front fork with reasonable other bits) as it feels damn heavy next to my main riding buddies Charge Titanium

I weighed the 2011 Carbon one with the X.9, red decals/cables etc, dunno which model that is, but it was just over 25lbs stock.

ac282

My Al Anthem weighed less than 23 lb on a proper scale ready to race (cage, tube taped to it etc…). If a carbon one weighs in at 25 lb it must have some heavy wheels etc…

radoggair
    Free Member

titus

titus carbon x from on one. £900 for the frame. Test rode one built up with industry nine wheels, xt etc and it flew. If i had the cash i’d opt for one of them

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

another turner flux vote here.

mine is 25lbs with SID Teams, Hope Pro3 Hoops, and no carbon bits. Frame is superstiff and bearing maintenance is minimal.

The anthems I had ridden are ok – the superlight requires propedel fiddling to work well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘xc / race full-sus frame ideas’ is closed to new replies.