Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • XC full suss
  • DPalmer
    Free Member

I've been riding my hardtail, a Maxlight XC Pro2 for a few years now and i've decided to move to a full suss.

I've ridden a 2003 Turner 5 Spot which was a nice ride but not really my cup of tea. I bit too layed back for my liking. I really liked the back end but i don't think i need that much travel up front.

Sorry to rant on but i'm basically after a full suss which is a bit more nibble. I'm looking at around the £2000 mark for a frame. Anyone got any other suggestions to get the ball rolling?

Thanks

epicsteve
    Free Member

Epic.

adt
    Free Member

SPARK OR TREK TOP FUEL

coogan
    Free Member

Flux? Superlight? Theres loads! Go test a bunch.

Dougal
    Free Member

MSC Koncept Carbon. 3.5lbs (1600g) including a Fox RP23 as pictured.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon. Mmmmmmmmmm.

hopster
    Free Member

Merida 96?

gee
    Free Member

Yeti AS-R?

nicks
    Free Member

i love my epic very fast bike ……. sparks ride nice to!

avdave2

I've never heard a bad word about the Anthem X. I ride XC and it would be top of my list if I were looking.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'd love to try an anthemX as it sounds like the kinda bike wanted – bl00dy fast.

hp_source

I've got a Trek Top Fuel and have been well impressed by it. the 2010 ones look amazing too.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

the new anthem x carbon frame is around £2000 i think, or cheaper… would be perfect

DezB
    Free Member

2 Grand for a frame? Gotta be a ASR! surely?

DPalmer
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, lot's more ideas now.

When you're looking for a new ride it's all too easy to get tunnel vision.

Thanks again

matt_outandabout

Nimble but not too ar*e up n racy? ST4
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=st4&w=88555557%40N00
    Thread about them vs a '5'
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/st4-or-five

schmiken

Definitely a Spark or Epic. Spark is lighter….

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Foes Prolight 2:1 if you want light, super plush & hard as nails.

J

njee20
    Free Member

Definitely a Spark or Epic

Very different bikes there, the Epic requires no rider input to get the most out of it, the Spark requires constant input on the TracLoc to make it work properly! I wouldn't have one personally.

MSC's an obvious choice in my mind. Epic will be available as a frame for 2010, but the Trek Top Fuel isn't, which is a shame as they're excellent bikes. Yeti AS-Rc's seem a bit prone to breaking for my liking, the alu ones are still nice.

DPalmer
    Free Member

Think i'm going to avoid the carbon route. If heard of the stays breaking on quite a few yeti's in particular.

Thanks again for ideas. Have to start going out on a few test runs. Life is hard.

ssboggy

3rd a Yeti ASR

racefaceec90

although it sounds like you've made your mind up,try out an anthem x bike.i've ordered an x 4.cannot wait!!! 😀

rock
    Free Member

anthem x.

I ride an X2 and it's incredibly light and fast. Last year's frame was only £900, and unlike the spark it doesn't rely on lock-out etc., it just pedals with minimal bob.

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Spark with an RP23 would get my vote, but I may be biased *wink*

DPalmer
    Free Member

My local shop stock Anthems, going to take one for a test ride over the weekend.

Must admit bang per buck i've heard no bad reports about them.

Bream
    Free Member

Anthem gets my vote, plus they have the new carbon X Advanced SL 0 out for 2010 8)

njee20
    Free Member

I ride an X2 and it's incredibly light

But heavier than the Trek, Specialized, Scott etc etc.

It's shame really, as that 2010 Anthem X Advanced SLQ4fgRADCORE.2 or whatever it's called looks awesome!

gee
    Free Member

So MSCs don't break then Nick? Did you see the 2 (or was it 3???) at Dalby…

GB

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Turner Flux?

rolfharris
    Free Member

I have an Anthem X- if you don't want carbon its really good. Dicks all over every XC bike I've ever ridden, including lighter ones. When I got it I was choosing between it and the new Top Fuel. Fuel was lighter, this was faster and more capable. I love it.

Hal
    Free Member

Go to your nearest Rocky Mountain dealer and try an Altitude, or one of there full suss range, see link. 8)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=40604

njee20
    Free Member

Mmmm, good point! Not that surprising, if a manufacturer's going to come from nowhere and build a frame lighter than any of the major manufacturers can manage something's got to give!

Dougal
    Free Member

Really? Who broke theirs?

I know of two failures this year, and both were due to bad setup with the bars spinning and cracking the brakes off the TT.

onewheelgood

I'd agree with what everyone says about the Anthem X – I love my X1. But having ridden them back-to-back I must reluctantly admit that my mate's Yeti is better.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The yeti is much slacker than the giant, depends on your priorities

The Anthem-X feels much more like an overgrown, superlightweight BMX

The Yeti feels more like a super flexy, short travel DH bike.

Both are lightening quick, but very different beasts to ride.

rolfharris
    Free Member

"The Anthem-X feels much more like an overgrown, superlightweight BMX"

Yeah! That's it- really good way of describing it.

manitou
    Free Member

I know they're not well like on here but I've got a Ellsworth Truth. lovely xc race bike.

sapper
    Free Member

scott genius 40 £1999 bang on budget.

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

I rode a new scott genius 20 – could not wait to get off…. and I was thinking of buying one the next day. Glad I had a test ride!

clubber
    Free Member

I'll add in a Rocky Mountain Element to your list. It should really be a bit crap since it's got a fairly basic suspension setup – faux bar – but somehow it's brilliant and I absolutely love mine. I got mine silly cheap (£60 for the frame…) too so I'm certainly not trying to justify my spend on it.

It's absolutely great on singletrack and pedals nicely too but the suspension smooths out the rough stuff. IMO it fully matches what you're looking for – I'd certainly urge you to give one a go.

They're on sale at CRC too:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=32973

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘XC full suss’ is closed to new replies.