• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Xbox 360
  • flyingmonkeycorps

So, the long winter nights are closing in again, and I'm not going to be out and about as much… Worth a punt on an Xbox to keep me entertained? Or should I just stock up on books? And if I do get one, which of the myriad of models is the one to go for…

GW
    Free Member

get a PS3 instead.

br
    Free Member

My son has an XBox360 along with XBox Live – it just works, top.

If I'd not kids I'd have probably got one myself.

AdeC
    Free Member

hell yeah, some great games coming out this autumn. COD: Black Ops and the new Medal of Honour.

PS3 or Xbox – both have pros and cons. Depends what you want to use them for. But if you're intent on getting an xbox, then one with a hard drive is a must.

flyingmonkeycorps

It'll probably be an Xbox rather than a PS3 because I don't have a fancy HDTV, I'm not bothered about Blu-Ray (for the moment!) and the Xbox is considerably cheaper! May end up with a PS3 at some point in the future, but for the minute I don't want to spend loads 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Fifa 11 and Fallout new Vegas are coming out next month. Just be prepared to never leave your house all winter. Tesco do a home delivery service if you spend over £30 so you can stock up on crisps and Hobnobs without even crossing your threshold. I love my life.

flyingmonkeycorps

Haha… I dunno if I'll be that bad, it'll have to fit around riding, working, climbing…

dustypumpkins

I've just sent my 360 off to Germany with the red ring of death. It'll be a while till I see another one!

Had a thought, reckon there's any chance MS would refund/extend your xbox live membership whilst your console's away? It's not my fault that the red ring of death appeared and having no console means no xbox live.

baldSpot
    Free Member

when they return the fixed Xbox, you should get 1 months free membership

Smudger666

They give you a free month of xbox live when it comes back. Used the repair centre twice now – both times xbox was replaced within a week/10 days.

Haze

Are the newer consoles still suffering from the red light errors?!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I've just sent my 360 off to Germany with the red ring of death. It'll be a while till I see another one!

I sent mine off last year and the turnaround was about 7 days. Mine was knackered so they sent me a brand new one. 😀

F1 is out on the 23rd if you like that sort of thing. There has never been an F1 driving game on the XBox so fingers cross it will live up to the hype it's getting.

sadexpunk

both my lads are selling one if anyones interested. theyve asked me to ebay em, but just cant be bothered and dont know enough about them to give decent descriptions. and ebays a minefield anyway.

so i just offer them up if i hear of anyone wanting them 🙂

if anyone does, mail me and ill find out all the spec, but i do know theyve got hard drives and they use 'live' on them.

Drac

Nah not anymore they just overheat in other ways now. I know someone on his 4th.

duffmiver
    Free Member

The new consoles don't seem to suffer from RROD.

But if you're intent on getting an xbox, then one with a hard drive is a must.

You can plug in an external hard drive or usb memory stick, a hard drive is not at all necessary.

Drac

The new consoles don't seem to suffer from RRO

Mainly because they no longer have the red leds.

smogmonster

Ive owned both the 360 and PS3….i sold the PS3 after 6 months as frankly, it was hardly used. Any exclusives were on the 360, Live is soooo much better than on the PS3, and i find the controller much better as well.

BTW, im no Sony hater…every other gadget i own is a Sony, but IMHO, the 360 is much better.

Haze

Last one has died several times with the 3 lights, I'm sick of repairing it and since it's 'compromised' I can't exactly send it back to MS.

I'm toying with the idea of a new 360 (or PS3) with my next phone contract, but don't want to run into the same problems again if I flash it.

Cougar

I love my 360. Lots of little touches that make me think "oh, someone's thought about this."

I've had mine back to Germany also, pain in the proverbial but I can't fault the service and it's been fine since.

I've no particular fanboyish brand loyalty, had a PS1 and a PS2 historically. But, having dabbled with the PS3 at friends' houses, it just doesn't interest me. I'll be buying a BD player at some point and it won't be a PS3 (though, could well be a Sony).

Drac

Hmmm!

I don't use my 360 any more just the PS3.

Any exclusives were on the 360

Both have exclusives.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

has to be a PS3 because the greatest racing car game in the world is out in november

Gran Turismo 5

sadly xbos owners will miss out 😉

+PS3 blueray and online is free.

xbox is good though and has better online dedicated servers

molgrips
    Free Member

Xboxes are noisy (or were) and PS3 has blu-ray, so it's a no brainer for me. It spends as much time playing blu-rays as it does games.

bentos
    Free Member

In my experience of both the PS3 and Xbox it depends on what you feel is more important. If playing media (i.e. Blue Ray, net etc) then get the PS3, if for out and out gaming get the 360.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I like my 360 'cos you can pick older games up for under a fiver.

sofaking
    Free Member

i have both and if i had to chose i go for an xbox

Mars2003
    Free Member

As for exclusives, Halo Reach is out on Xbox tomorrow, doubt there will be a much bigger selling exclusive game this year on any console.

dustypumpkins

Not bad, my xbox got delivered to Germany on Thursday and a replacement is on it's way. And hopefully a free month's live!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

just got the new xbox 360 in black for £140. It will never get the ring of death, its very quiet compared to the old ones and connects to live wireless which means I can move it round the house as needed to different TV's. The live service is great, ok it costs but really it is far better than sony's offering, and one I am happy to pay for. The new console really is great! that said a 2nd hand older xbox for around £80 would be a bargain. My local game store are also selling off some games at £4 a pop, even some great multiplayer on lines ones. I have used the PS3 a few times and tbh they are very similar, both have equal graphics and both can push out 1080p on the right games. Really you cannot tell the difference in graphics side by side. Many mags and companies have done scientific tests and they all come up saying "they are equal"

For me the on-line service from xbox gives it the edge. If your not into blu ray should be an easy choice. Also the xbox is a lot cheaper.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just picked up a second hand Elite with 7 games and 2 pads for £130, which seems like a good deal. If I had a HDTV I might've been more swayed by the Blu-Ray, but as it is it's all about the games. Looking forward to picking up SF4 very soon…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

if you get on xbox live, just be prepared to have all your spare time hoovered up. They should give those things to people in hospital long term as the on-line play is completely engrossing.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Anyone played No Fear Downhill Mountain Biking?
    I'm not aware of any other MTB games, you'd have thought there's be a few more of them given the popularity of various BMX titles over the past decade.

It seems to be a PS3 exclusive:
    http://tinyurl.com/2dgsbtb

Drac

It will never get the ring of death, its very quiet compared to the old ones

They can't they took the red LEDS out. Now you get a red dot of death, sometimes they survive other time they don't but the shut themselves down now when they get hot just have to hope it's in time.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Xbox 360’ is closed to new replies.