Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • WTF? Apache helicopter in Derbyshire?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Tonights ride, tootling up shining cliff, hears the roar looks up and I’m sure it was a bloody apache doing some low level manouvers! In Derbyshire???????

Houns

One flew over me last week in Blakedown (near Kidderminster nowhere near any fly zones/ranges)

Jamie
    Free Member

Saw one, or something similar, over Cambridge today.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    amodicumofgnar

I feel cheated only a pair of lynx going south over Meltham today.

wrightyson
    Free Member

IT was bloody low as well, looked the business! Mean looking fecker straight out “the movies”

Vortexracing

Had 6 off them land on the short runway right in front of my office window a couple of months ago. Very impressive

project
    Free Member

Theyre filming Captain America in liverpool, possibly something to do with that,some nice old american trucks there monday night,Stanley dock area.

theboatman
    Free Member

Must have been the same one I saw flying over ilkeston about half 5 as I was starting my ride home, given where it was I half wondered if it was the latest initiative against benefit fraudsters…..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Captain America? Missed that one, who got the lead part in that??

taka
    Free Member

pah get loads over my house sounds like were going to war! 😮

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ha ha boatman! That’ll be the one, I saw it belper end of shining at about that time. I was hoping that some of those little estate urchins would get their laser pointers out, so the pilot could detonate the whole area with an accidentally launched LGB

project
    Free Member
    dan1980
    Free Member

They’re filming Captain America in Manchester too, apparently the area behind picadilly station towards the canal was suitable for filming a 3 minute car chase scene.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    Captain America? Missed that one, who got the lead part in that??

Chris Evans.

No, not THAT one!

loddrik
    Free Member

One flew over my house in Liverpool the other day, first one I ever saw.

petrieboy

see them quite frequently in Royston. got a bit of a surprise when one of them popped up from behind the trees on the A505!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I was working at the School of Army Aviation in Middle Wallop, Hants back when they were doing the trials prior to their introduction.

Impressive machines.

mangatank
    Free Member

Yeah. The RAF adopted Apache Gunships some years ago. It was probably on a training mission.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

mangatank – Member
    Yeah. The RAF adopted Apache Gunships some years ago. It was probably on a training mission.

That’ll come as a shock to the Army Air Corps!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

As the T shirt says: Don’t bother to run, you’ll only die tired!

sv

Yep Army Air Corps – read a good book about a deployment of them in Afganistan. Don’t fancy the tungsten dart treatment 😉

kevonakona
    Free Member

bravohotel9er – Member
    mangatank – Member

and the RAF whirley bird pilots

beamers

Its a shame they didn’t make the Apache sound like Airwolf in flight. Now that would be cool.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess that the pilots would rather they made as little noise as possible…

beamers

Blue Thunder then – that had a stealth mode.

stumpy01

I saw 2 about a week ago, while queuing on the approach to the Black Cat roundabout on the A1. They were flying east to west about 30 seconds apart. First time I’ve ever seen them out and about (seen them at Farnborough before).

Andituk
    Free Member

Saw one once while standing near Whinstone Lee Tor, close enough and low enough over the reservoir to look the pilot in the eye and be quite freaked out about the huge underslung cannon 😀

To be fair, if you were flying one of those on a training mission, you’d go and buzz people out for a walk too 😀

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

dan1980 – Member
    They’re filming Captain America in Manchester too, apparently the area behind picadilly station towards the canal was suitable for filming a 3 minute car chase scene.

Liverpool today, probably the dock area, don’t know if they mean the historic docks, or the industrial docks.

Will listen out for any helicopters though, usually it is only the copper chopper chasing down scouse scallies, they’d get a bit of a shock with an Apache chasing them down though lol!!!

I was in the dales a few years ago (2004ish) on a really wet & minging day, between Hawes & Sedbergh, and despite the weather Chinooks were low flying – 2 flights of two ships, always assumed they were preparing for Afgahnistan/Iraq.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

saw one back in march zooming over Ladybower Res. Looked like it was zooming along playing at Dambusters. Was cool.

amodicumofgnar

Its just gone east over Mam Tor at 17:00. View from the contour bridleway would have been excellent.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

iam quite lucky not only do i see them all the time flying around,RAF whattisham where they are based is just up the road in suffolk but also my company fix the forklifts in the maintanece hanger up there so get to see them up close and in bits and trust me they look EVIL up close that gun is FU*K O*F big up close

portlyone

Think we saw one at Ladybower yesterday afternoon. There were several helicopters there.

Isn’t Captain America a period film? Not too many Apache’s around back then I imagine (the flying ones at least).

vdubber67
    Free Member

fatsimon mk2 – Member

trust me they look EVIL up close that gun is FU*K O*F big up close

I’ve been in the flight shed at Westlands down in Yeovil and can second that. I love the way that they’re actually really simply designed in places. Some of the hatch bits appear to have a garden gate latch on them. Looks funny, but I guess it’s easier to weld that in a conflict zone than some over-engineered complicated thing!

wrightyson
    Free Member

How many do “we” have in our fleet? Thought they were rather pricey in helicopter world and just assumed they wouldn’t be fannying about over my local cheeky trail area?!!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

67 from what I recall.

CountZero

There was one stooging around Chippenham today, or possibly two. Anyway, saw it twice, and a Puma, so I reckon their doing manoeuvres on Salisbury Plain. Something surreal looking out of the door at work and seeing a gunship cruising past half a mile away.

MoreCashThanDash

One flew over us (West Hallam) weekend before last – not going fast but I was surprised how quiet it was though it was going quite slow.

Looked great, but “back in the day” – being a RAF brat – I used to love it when the Yanks used to use cars on quiet Lincolnshire roads to do practise runs in their A10 Tankbusters! More fun when you weren’t the one being targetted, no such thing as “friendly” fire!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

maybe he was dropping off bikers like the one dropping of the surfers in apocalypse now, less bullets flying though and colder

Chase
    Free Member

Apparently the Apache was developed in response to this beast…..

The MI-24 Hind

wrightyson
    Free Member

S that the original “gunship” as in Rambo 3 style??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘WTF? Apache helicopter in Derbyshire?’ is closed to new replies.