Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Wrong size frame – What are my options?
  • daleftw
    Free Member

I bought a Canyon Roadlite about 2 month back in a medium flavour. I’m 6 foot, but according to their online framesize finder thingy, this is the right size.

But, I’m just not getting on with it. After an hour or two in the saddle I’m in quite a lot of discomfort. Not numb, just discomfort.

At first I attributed this to a new saddle and told myself to man up. Then it never got any better, so I got another saddle, which didn’t really make any difference. Tinkered with the saddle position and I found that if I moved it all the way back it kind of helped.

If I stay at the front of the saddle, it does help, but I’m constantly having to pull myself forward, naturally I want my arse to be further back, which leads me to believe the frame size is wrong.

So I was just wondering, what are my options to try and alleviate this problem? (preferably beside a new expensive frame 🙁 )

tracknicko
    Free Member

sounds like the saddle still!

what do you mean by wrong size? too long/short tall/short? low/high?

legend
    Free Member

Got a lay-back seatpost on it yet?

spooky_b329

I’m new to road bikes, but I was amazed at how much difference tiny adjustments can make. I was too heavy on my hands, moved the saddle back and forth made little difference, but then I tilted the nose up and suddenly I felt like I had to stretch for the hoods. Moved it back a bit and its now just 5mm higher than original.

You could try a bike fitting session at a proper bike shop. They should be able to tell you what to change, whether it be a stem or the whole frame!

daleftw
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    sounds like the saddle still!

what do you mean by wrong size? too long/short tall/short? low/high?

Came with a Selle Italia X1 and I’ve now got a Fizik Arione CX on. Going to put my XC bikes saddle on, see if that makes a difference (I spent 8 hours in the saddle the other day no bother)

By wrong size, I mean it seems too short in the top tube – Naturally, my behind wants to go further back (away from the handlebars) than the seat allows. If I ride without altering my position, I tend to sit on the very back of the saddle, almost hanging off.

tracknicko
    Free Member

hmmm. hard to say without seeing you on it, but medium sounds too small.

i mean in very basic terms 6ft means you are well above ‘medium/average’ size for a chap, and thus large might have been a better start…

tracknicko
    Free Member

longer stem/layback post/ longer reach bars might help you get more space though.

Laid back seat post, longer cranks and longer stem. I’m in a similar position. My bike fits apart from my super long legs (if I was a woman, I’d be a supermodel) and I believe the best way forward would be to experiment with all the above. Just not cheap to find test crank arms

daleftw
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    hmmm. hard to say without seeing you on it, but medium sounds too small.

i mean in very basic terms 6ft means you are well above ‘medium/average’ size for a chap, and thus large might have been a better start…

I concur. But you’d think a company that pays X amount of money for this frame size finder software, it’d be somewhat reliable.

I was sceptical when I got it, but took it for a few 5/10 mile rides and it felt fine. But now I’m spending longer on it, it does feel too small.

wwaswas

If I stay at the front of the saddle, it does help, but I’m constantly having to pull myself forward

by wrong size, I mean it seems too short in the top tube – Naturally, my behind wants to go further back (away from the handlebars) than the seat allows.

these seem to be completely at odds with each other?

Have you taken a tape measure to your mtb and the road bike to see the relative positions of saddles, bars/hoods and BB?

I’d try and get a bike fit done so you’ve got somethign definitive to base your expectations on.

daleftw
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    If I stay at the front of the saddle, it does help, but I’m constantly having to pull myself forward

by wrong size, I mean it seems too short in the top tube – Naturally, my behind wants to go further back (away from the handlebars) than the seat allows.

these seem to be completely at odds with each other?

If I make a conscientious effort to keep my arse at the front of the saddle (i.e. pulling myself forward) it helps with the discomfort, but if I don’t think about my seat position for a while, I naturally end up at the back of the saddle, almost hanging off it.

Does that make more sense? I’ve only had one coffee, I can’t do words yet.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Odd isn’t it? See lots of pics on here that make me think people have bought too small a frame…. Masses of seat tube showing on both road and mtb. I know people say it’s more ‘chuckable’ off road, and it may be a fashion thing. But at 6′ 1″ with stumpy legs a medium anything feels cramped. My ‘L’ mtb and 58 roadbike feel comfy.

prezet
    Free Member

Odd isn’t it? See lots of pics on here that make me think people have bought too small a frame…. Masses of seat tube showing on both road and mtb. I know people say it’s more ‘chuckable’ off road, and it may be a fashion thing. But at 6′ 1″ with stumpy legs a medium anything feels cramped. My ‘L’ mtb and 58 roadbike feel comfy.

Personal preference if you prefer to ride a smaller frame than some calculator or bod in a warehouse says, nowt to do with fashion. I’m 5′ 11″ and most mediums feel like gates. I’d only ride a medium if I wanted an outright XC rig.

ampthill

If the top tubes to short you need a longer stem

If that mucks up the handling… Well you never know until you try

So buy a longer stem or 2. Thats as cheap a change as you can make

You are riding on the hoods?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it’s more comfortable at the front of the saddle but that feels wrong…sounds like the saddle is wrong in some way.

Why not try one that you know and like from another bike?

Otherwise, small changes can mean a lot on road bikes, but I’m not sure that’s relevant here.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Odd isn’t it? See lots of pics on here that make me think people have bought too small a frame….

Definite personal preference.

At 5’9″ I fall between 54 & 56 for road bikes and 16″ – 18″ for mountain bikes. Although I could easily get either option to fit I prefer a smaller frame on a road bike and a larger one on a mountain bike.

Edit; Are you friendly with your LBS? They might have some spare longer stems you could try for size.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve warned a few people on here about Canyons frame sizing tool. When i bought my aeroad it sugested a small, which was madness, i got a medium and it fits like a glove. My mate is 6’3 and it sugested he get a tiny CF SLX. he went thress sizes higher and its perfect.

john_l
    Free Member

Looks like the ETT is 54.2cm on a medium? Would suggest that this is way too small for you, unless you’ve got stumpy limbs. This is pretty much the top tube length I’m most comfy on on my road/cross bikes & I’m a smidge over 5’9″.

edit – I reckon it’s worth contacting the retailer you got it from & asking them to explain how their tool has recommended a frame that would appear to be too small & see if they’ll do anything.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a play arround with the frame size calculator and it always said medium, even if I added 2″ onto my height and increaced everything else proportionaly, it still said medium, had to be pretty tall (6’3″) to get to the large.

Dunno how accurate it is but it came out as a 56cm TT road bike which is what I ride at the moment, although I’d considder a less compact bar next time to increace reach slightly.

daleftw
    Free Member

Might just use this to justify a new frame. 😆

mboy
    Free Member

542mm Top Tube sounds a bit short for someone of your height indeed. Just looked on the Canyon website, seems it comes with a 100mm stem too. I’m about 1.5 inches shorter than you, ride a Medium Giant with 545mm Top Tube and a 100mm stem and it’s just about right, but I could go longer.

Suggest before spending mega bucks on anything, try and borrow a 110mm stem to see if that helps, and maybe borrow a layback post, but the problem with layback posts is then you’ll be pedalling too far in front of your body, if you get me, and this causes different issues.

daleftw
    Free Member

Or a new bike – http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2505

I think I’m in love.

Bregante

I just put my measurements into the frame size calculator on canyon and it came back with small. I’m 6’2″ !!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just to point out that a layback post will make naff all difference as the bike does not have an inline post fitted from what i can see on my phone

It has what looks like 20-25 mm of layback in a non ugly way ( thomson do the same layback with an inline clamp and bent pin

jonathan
    Free Member

I think a lot of how long/short a bike feels is to do with the relative saddle-bar drop and how that effects how your weight is distributed. I’m just under 6ft and any TT over 55cm seems way too long, and I’m usually most comfy around the 54cm mark. But I do like my bars pretty low, which definitely changes the angle of your arms (and so the feel of weight through them) and also (obviously) your back and arse position.

Just another thing worth fiddling with if you can. Take out any spacers below the stem, tweak your saddle angle, stretch you lower back a bit and give it a go 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think you need to have a play about with the setup.

Thet top tube length may be quite “short” but the seat tube angle is very steep, therefore you should be running a seatpost with quite a bit of layback (effectively slackening the seat tube angle and lengthening the top tube) to get yourself in the right spot.

Also, I reckon a longer stem, 120mm at least.

batman11
    Free Member

From what I understand old school way for sizing road bikes is sit on the bike get in to your riding position and then look down at the head of the stem ie the handlebar area it should block out the hub on your front wheel also your saddle should be almost legal with your bars!! Mine is just bait higher but I’m a bit long legged this is of cause if your frame size is about right to start with! At 6ft tall you should have some thing like a 57/58 bike I’m thinking as I’m 6.3 and ride 59/60
    Good look shorting it out hope this helps abut.
    Bats.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its pretty basic mathematics, all adults should understand this. Im assuming you did your O-Levels?

People go on forums chucking top tube lengths about like they’re going out of fashion. These numbers are worthless on there own, you need the bigger picture.

mav12
    Free Member

plenty of cheap stems on planet x website at the moment

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

9 times out of 10 sizing software works bang on. Although there always going to be variables, arm length, posture etc.

Most of the time people ignore it because they apparently know better and what’s comfortable.

Comfortable usually means what your used to rather than what fits properly.

If i was the OP i’d look at getting a bike fit session with a shop.

jwmlee
    Free Member

I’m 184cms in height, inside leg: 88cms and ride a 56cms bike. Frame size calculators suggested a larger bike but it didn’t feel right.

Very common to get a sore arse. I’d been riding a mountain bike for more than a year and still got a lot of discomfort. Once you get the right size the simple suggestion of standing up on the pedals when the pain kicks in has worked for me.

Agree with everyone who suggested a proper bike fit. Number of solutions to explore but it pays to get a professional to look at it especially if you are planning to put in the miles.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Wrong size frame – What are my options?’ is closed to new replies.