Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wrist Ache
  • damo2576
    Free Member

After we get the jokes out the way, any ideas why my wrists ache after riding?

I’m guessing its cos I have too much weight on them, I ride with a 100mm flat stem, will swapping that for a shorter (90mm) stem with a bit of a rise help?

Any other ideas?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Slow your rebound down.

Alternatively strengthen your wrists by subjecting your old fella to copious amounts of *anking. Don’t forget to use your left hand too.

damo2576
    Free Member

Thanks – hadnt thought about rebound, will try that too

maxray
    Free Member

Move your seat back a little so you are not leaning on the bars so much? I thought when ideally positioned your hands shouldn’t be bearing your weight at all, thats what your legs/ass is for. I could be wrong though.

damo2576
    Free Member

I was actually thinking that other way round – getting an in line seatpost would keep more weight on my ass no? If I move saddle back I’d be more stretched and more weight on wrists? Not sure.

maxray
    Free Member

Ah yeah maybe actually.. I shall rephrase to “have a fiddle with your saddle position” then 🙂 I can remember altering mine and suddenly my hands were kind of hovering on the bars as opposed to bearing most of my weight. Stopped me getting wrist pain as after busting my left wrist last year it gets tired quicker than the right 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve started using the powerball thats been sitting in a drawer for months since the initial novelty diminished… a few mins each day seems to have helped my wrist ache and strengthened my grip (the muscles in my fingers would hurt like hell on anything too rooty as i would hold on for my life)

damo2576
    Free Member

Yeah, my riding is quite rooty, hence i think i may be holding too tight!

MarkN
    Free Member

All good answers above. I would add to check the angle of your brake levers. I have seen some that are set so high or low that you have to force the hand and wrist into a poor position to cover/use the brakes. When stood on the bike in the attack position I find the best position is so that the hand and wrist is straight with the arm.

+1 on the power ball. If you can get it started they are good.

rewski
    Free Member

Powerball with help so will padded gloves.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wrist Ache’ is closed to new replies.