Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wrapping up cement bonded asbestos…..
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, my local council tip will take the cement bonded asbestos roof panels from my garage roof, if I “double bag” them.

Given that the panels are 3m x 1m, I can’t find any rubble sacks big enough to bodge for the job – presumably a couple of big polythene sheets will do the trick, although I’ve not found anywhere local selling them – though I may not be looking in the right place

Cheers

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In the trade, anthing too big to go in bags gets wrapped and duct taped. Have you considered a roll of cheap moisture barrier membrane for going under laminate floors?

honeybadgerx

Ideally it should be a red inner bag/membrane and a clear outer one.

nickjb
    Free Member

I bought a load of clear poly sheet from ebay.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

As long as its marked as asbestos it dosent matter what color it is, iv done my awareness and safe removal courses, ensure some good tarp is used, wet with warm water and fairy liquid, fine mist as to stop any airborne, wear a white tyvex disposable suit and a decent face mask, gloves etc, then double wrap and ring local council, most councils do a free collect and dispose service, oh and double bag your dirty clothes also,

globalti
    Free Member

WTF? I just smashed up the sheets on our garage roof and wrapped them in the bags and the blue plastic sheet that we had to book out of the local dump. I wore a mask as a precaution; I’m still alive so it must have been OK.

It might be different if you were removing asbestos every day though.

wwaswas

I’m still alive so it must have been OK.

😯

sometimes I think ‘I really, really hope this is a troll post’.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

surely a leg pull– if not a global idiot 😯

MrNutt
    Free Member

chop it up with a disk cutter, then grind the pieces up in a pestle and mortar or a blendtec blender then cut it with SMA baby powder and sell it to drunk idiots outside nightclubs.

Coleman
    Free Member

Hope this is coincidence but I recall on the local news some fly tipping containing asbestos on No Mans Lane 😐

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

If it is a real post its not the fact uve worn a mask, the fibres of asbestos are hook shaped and cling to clothing, if the clothing is still worn and you say brush past ur missues the spores become airborn again and inhaled, you wouldent realise til 5-10 years down the line, however if you have a good immune system you die faster as your body fights the asbestos and causes scarring on your lungs, if you have a shite immune system you last longer as your body ignores the asbestos. Dosent matter about prolonged periods, it takes one time thats all.

Sandwich

I wore a mask as a precaution; I’m still alive so it must have been OK.

Come back in 20 years and we’ll see if you’re still ok. My uncle died from mesothelioma 3 years ago, his exposure was in the 70’s. If you smoke you’re more at risk too.

spooky_b329

WTF? I just smashed up the sheets on our garage roof and wrapped them in the bags and the blue plastic sheet that we had to book out of the local dump. I wore a mask as a precaution; I’m still alive so it must have been OK.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?!

McHamish
    Free Member

It might be different if you were removing asbestos every day though.

Stop giving him such a hard time, everyone knows that breathing in asbestos particles results in instant death, not the risk of a malignant cancer affecting many internal organs that would surface in 30-40 years time.

andrewhowell
    Free Member

True but there are so many masks available in the market that helps to filter these particles outside the nose.

Spud

A lot of waste companies will hire skips with locks for asbestos cement disposal. Or huge roll of 1000 gauge polythene, double wrap, gaffer tape up. Usually a red asbestos waste bag is taped to the outside. Please don’t smash it up!!

andyl
    Free Member

If you have a toolstation near you then they sell plastic sheeting cheap. But don’t go for really thin stuff as it will rip easily.

Use plenty of strong tape and maybe some strips of red insulation tape to highlight it’s a hazard.

Be very careful!

seahouse
    Free Member

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a11.pdf

Cement sheet is very low in asbestos content and the fibers are encapsulated in cement making the chance of release very low, this is why you don’t need a license and you can use a paper mask and not a respirator. Spud description is the usual protocol for removal.

MoreCashThanDash

*waves to coleman*

All our asbestos is still here on the premises – I saw that report as well

Thanks for the suggestions – seems our local council is happy for me to wrap the stuff and take it to the tip, but if I want them to remove it – even after I wrap it – it has to go through a private company and will cost me £500!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wrapping up cement bonded asbestos…..’ is closed to new replies.