Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Would you upgrade your croix de fer
  • monkeyninja
    Free Member

I have a standard croix de fer, I bought second hand. I am new to road biking and am enjoying it a lot, a new baby means i don’t get time to go away for full days mtbing much just now. Question is do I upgrade my current bike (nicer lighter wheelset and better gears) or put the money towards a proper second hand road bike or leave it as is and just ride it. I want to ride sportives over the summer and push myself to get fitter and faster, however, I don’t see myself racing as such.

Superficial
    Free Member

It depends how fast you want to go. I have a cdf 20 and a giant defy. The giant is zippier on pure road rides for sure, and I use the cdf for commuting and a bit of off road. It’s probably 3-5% slower that the giant on a road stretch ie not competitive but still fine. I suspect most of the speed difference could be made up by getting a set of 25mm slicks for it, or I suppose a second wheelset. It probably depends if you plan to ride with others since they’ll probably have an advantage.

ceepers

As above, depends what you want to get put of it. I have a caad8 with 105 and nice wheels and a cheap build charge filter which is the equivalent of the cdf.

I love them both for different reasons. The charge is fine for road rides especially with 25mm slicks on. I used it a lot over winter did a few 50-60 milers with plenty of climbing. It is heavier and slower the the caad 8 – about 1-1.5 mph average. Whether that’s the weight, flexy steel whatever I’m not sure. Where it’s most fun is in mixed road and easy off road rides with semi knobblies on (clement xplor for now)

If I’m going for a punish myself road ride/ racing mates on strava or out with roadie mates, I’ll always take the caad8 – it’s faster and less effort for the same distance ridden so if I’m trying to keep up with others esp if they are fitter, it’s a better choice.

Personally I reckon sportives will be easier on a proper road bike but proper road tyres will be a cheap easy upgrade to the cdf in the meantime

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I put some slicks on it already for Skinny tweed and it made a difference, just wonder if spending money into making it something its not really supposed to be is a wise spend. Or would a nice light hand built wheelset make a big difference? I’m doing tour o the borders and the other 2 people will be on carbon road bikes.

ceepers

FWIW I don’t think it’s just the wheels although they would help and it’s perfectly do able on the cdf but your mates will be at an advantage to start with. My charge doesn’t feel as “taut” or efficient as the caad8 even with slicks on the charge and the old crap wheels on the caad8

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Would you upgrade your croix de fer’ is closed to new replies.