Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Would you go to Egypt
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On holiday on Monday? its not me its my 75 yr old parents have booked a trip.

thoughts?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

class mate went out with his family recently (his dad is my dentist)

they loved every second of it

dickydutch

Where abouts are they going is the big question I guess…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Based in Cairo excursions out of the city with a small tour operator

Torminalis
    Free Member

I am fully planning on exploiting the political situation contributing to their economy in April by going to a Red Sea resort for a week at a knock down price.

Not sure about Cairo though, will most likely be fine, I am sure they will welcome foreigners and the fat western wallets they bring with them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

my 75 yr old parents have booked a trip

Didn’t they ask you first ? 😕

And I would say no…..not for an elderly couple anyway. Not because I think there’s any great risk, but because waiting until things are a little more settle makes more sense imo.

I’m sure they will be fine though……don’t worry.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t know if it’s much help.. but my stepdads folks spent 75% of their retirement on holiday in a bewildering array of politically unstable and war torn regions..
    they thrived on it..

Hasn’t Egypt got a bit of a history as being slightly hazardous for tourists though.. even in more peaceful times..? I think I remember a spate of coach hi-jackings..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends – how are they about it?

What does FO say?

Junkyard
    Free Member

ar ethey experienced travellers and fit?
    is it a 5 * trip
    Egyptians, and Arabs in general, are incredibly hospitable to people in general and I beve rhad any issue whilst travelling in egypt just after the Incident [ mass shooting of tourists]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fit and experienced travellers. Independent tour operators with a bespoke tour for them. Mum is cautious, dad says go ( a reversal of their usual roles)

They have paid the money, FO advice is “safe to visit” so no money back if they don’t go.

I am not sure myself

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think they will be fine then. Tour operators wont take risks with them and the whole country pretty much relies on tourism [ and the canal] for employment. On the plus side I bet a lot of the crowded sites are very quiet. even when the revolution was on there was no reported incidents with tourists. if they are fit and healthy etc I would have no issue. If they dont go mail in profile I will go instead

j_me
    Free Member

They will be fine if they are staying in the Sharem El Shark

chico
    Free Member

Im also going on monday. 1 week cruise on nile from Luxor and 1 week in 5 star hotel in Luxor. ive been every year for the last 4 years cant wait. It is what it i. you love it or hate it. use your head and its pretty safe. I wouldnt worry. more worried about our western no fly zone next door in Libia……. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the Egyptians generally a) are nice and particularly laid back and b) know which side their bread is buttered on. That is, they know their country relies on tourist money.

My parents went recently, they had a good time.

I wouldn’t want to go though but then it just doesn’t appeal to me 🙂

mogrim

Go, Egypt’s a lovely country and Egyptians are lovely people. My main worry would be Tut’s revenge, especially at their age. Make sure they pack some kind of water purifying tablets and rehydrating salts.

Opinion based on living there for a couple of years.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have you ever read ‘Three Men On A Bike’? It’s about 3 students who went from South Africa to… I dunno, North Africa, including Egypt, on the Goodies ‘Trandem’. The only place where people chucked rocks at them was Egypt.
    Put me off for life that did, never fancied it. Saying that there’s a guy at work who goes nowhere else. Mind you, he is Egyptian.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let the recent upheaval put me off if I were interested in going on that kind of holiday in Cairo anyway – in fact, it would make me more likely to go because there might be a bit less of a scrum at the Egyptian Museum/pyramids and because I find that kind of political stuff interesting.

But I think Sharm el Sheikh is an absolute pit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Would you go to Egypt’ is closed to new replies.